71' F36 Tri-Cabin waste tank?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

JxDiGiovanni

71' F36 Tri-Cabin waste tank?

Post by JxDiGiovanni »

Hey all, just bought my first boat that I live aboard. It's a 1971 Trojan Tri-Cabin F36 with 2-Chrysler 383's that are currently not running.

First thing on my list is replacing ALL of the plumbing, my problem is that I am new to yacths. I don't know what I'm looking at and can't seem to find the waste tank or the drain port. When I pull up the cabin floor, there are two big cylindrical tanks; one on the starboard side and the other on the portside.. I am assuming these are the fuel tanks... well these are also the only tanks I can seem to find. I'm assuming these boats weren't manufactured as outboard waste boats, Correct?...

I am a commercial/Industrial electrician by trade but I know a decent amount about plumbing. No professional but I take pride in my work and will be doing this restoration on my own. Right after the plumbing is solved I will be tackling the electrical ASAP.

Any help is appreciated, hope to learn a lot about these awesome boats here.

-Jordan D.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 71' F36 Tri-Cabin waste tank?

Post by prowlersfish »

They could but fuel tanks . Not sure what year Trojan started put the holding tanks on boats , they built a lot of them with self contain heads . You can trace the lines from the head"(s) to see where they end up.

Remember your boat is over 45 years old so a lot of things my have been changed . My 77 (not a tri cabin ) had a self contained head and no tank . I replace the head and installed a tank .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
JxDiGiovanni

Post by JxDiGiovanni »

prowlersfish wrote:They could but fuel tanks . Not sure what year Trojan started put the holding tanks on boats , they built a lot of them with self contain heads . You can trace the lines from the head"(s) to see where they end up.

Remember your boat is over 45 years old so a lot of things my have been changed . My 77 (not a tri cabin ) had a self contained head and no tank . I replace the head and installed a tank .
Do you happen to have any pictures? Thanks for the reply.
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

My 84 Tri Cab has its holding tank at the base of the front stairwell leading to the V birth behind a service door, pumps, water heater and waste tank are there. I put in a bigger waste tank. But could be way different than yours.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

JxDiGiovanni wrote:
prowlersfish wrote:They could but fuel tanks . Not sure what year Trojan started put the holding tanks on boats , they built a lot of them with self contain heads . You can trace the lines from the head"(s) to see where they end up.

Do you happen to have any pictures? Thanks for the reply.
I do not old system is long gone ,New is just a Sea Era head and a poly tank . Boat is laid out Different as its not a tri
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

The two round tanks under the salon are fuel tanks. That was the configuration with the engines and V drives in the state room.
There was no holding tanks in in a Tricabin in 1971 Brown water went right out under the boat on aft and forward heads.

If cant find the water tank in is on the starboard side under the salon floor directly under the AC/DC panel. It is a fiberglass tank with a plywood top. It is also fiber-glassed to the the hull.

We have installed a holding tank on a 1971 Tricabin by putting a plastic tank on the port side forward of the fuel tanks. Then plumbing the two heads to the tanks. Then we plumbed the wast line directly up to the deck with a wast cap.

Questions feel free to call Bob Beacon Marine 609 713 4602
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~