mid cabin - fuel sending units

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

mid cabin - fuel sending units

Post by BobCT »

I'm in the process of replacing both now. Here's what I know so far and pic of the Stb side hole cut out. I wanted to go as small as possible given the location and the likely hood that it will be years before I need access again. So, I'm using a 3.5" flush cover plate instead of a deck plate with a flange. It's just a flat piece of plastic with four screw holes. I sealed up the balsa coring and will drill/fill epoxy for the screw holes. The small size means you have to cut a pretty precise hole but the diameter of the sending units are really small. If you're more inclined to go with a deck plate, 4" is plenty big.

I'm using 22" Moeller mechanical arm sending units which are a hair longer (about an 1") than the original units. I'm also replacing the conversion capsules which sit on top of the sending units. That's the part that magnetically calculates the level and sends that signal up to the gauges. Credit Todd Pote for explaining that to me last year. The add'l length should not be a problem unless the arm actually bottoms out on the tank AND I ran until almost empty. I'm never under a 1/4 so I'm not worried about that. I even considered going with a 17" which would give a much bigger reserve.

I'll update with some dimensions when I'm done.

Bob

P.S. - that's a sledgehammer holding the cover plate down until I can do the install
sending unit.jpg
sending unit.jpg (84.71 KiB) Viewed 9014 times
1988 10m mid cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: mid cabin - fuel sending units

Post by prowlersfish »

If you haven't bought the sender yet look at WEMA senders , A better mouse trap IMO
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

I totally agree on the WEMA !

if you are going to do this, the WEMA allows you to do it once and THATS IT - like FOREVER

RWS
Last edited by RWS on Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
El L Sea
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by El L Sea »

I spent a full 5 minutes staring at that picture until I read the P.S. part to figure out what that was! :lol:
El L Sea
Fort Myers, FL
1988 Trojan 12m International Sport Fisherman
2017 Boston Whaler 130 Tender w/ 40HP Mercury
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Unfortunately, I bought these late last year so it's too late to return them. Yeah, those so seem a lot less complicated than a pivoting arm. Although, the mechanics of the old ones seem perfect. I think the issue is just the weight of the float(s). The old ones are noticeably heavier than the new ones.
1988 10m mid cabin
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I know you already know this Bob but I'm going to mention it anyway. Be sure to seal up the balsa core material after you cut the hole. Mine was done less then perfect and was very rotted.
Todd
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Hey Todd.....

Miss us yet ?

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Absolutely Harris! I will try to update my old "renovation" post with an update on my current situation so you guys can laugh your asses off at me. I'll give you a hint, it's brand new, it's currently being built for me and it floats.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Here are a couple of more pics. One is the "conversion capsule" which attaches to the top of the sending unit with two small screws. The conversion capsule uses a magnetic signal to interpret the physical location of the float and send that information up to the gauge. If you are replacing the original unit, you will need to run a new ground wire, the original only has one wire. The pic shows the new and old units upside down. On the other side is a functioning gauge. In a pinch, you could check this gauge if there was an issue with the gauge or wiring from the sender up to the helm. Moeller sells the conversion capsules but they're made by Rochester gauges.

I replaced the factory senders with Moeller 22" units which are slightly longer than the originals. Some people have noticed a difference in length between the two tanks. I did as well but it was only about 1/2"- 3/4". I used 22" on both sides. The factory floats were cork and definitely giving me flaky readings because they were satured. A better option might be the WEMA senders.

As other people have posted, it is imperative that you seal the balsa coring all around. If you have an access or deck plate already installed, I would make it high on the list of things to check. My deck is bone dry and I plan to keep it that way. I'll do another update when I remember to add some measurements for the hole.

The second part of this project is installing Racor LG-100 units in both vent lines. These prevent fuel from overflowing out of the vent lines when filling up and provide positive shutoff (like a car) if filling to the top. This happened to me twice last year because of my gauge issues.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (11.4 KiB) Viewed 8916 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (121.1 KiB) Viewed 8916 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (131.47 KiB) Viewed 8916 times
Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

Looks great Bob. Now that I have my tank out I need to replace mine as well. I'm looking for some specs on it. I see you didn't go WEMA. Should I be doing that instead of the traditional? Any idea on what model I would need?
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I just used the Moeller 22" mechanical units since I already bought them. The Wema units are vertical rather than a hinged arm and a few of the guys here swear by them. I think it's just a matter of finding the right height (depth of the tank on those).
1988 10m mid cabin
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

BobCT wrote:I just used the Moeller 22" mechanical units since I already bought them. The Wema units are vertical rather than a hinged arm and a few of the guys here swear by them. I think it's just a matter of finding the right height (depth of the tank on those).

Thanks Bob. I thought I read something about needing the correct resistance for the gauge to read right. Am I thinking of the right thing? I tried searching but didn't turn up what I thought I read.
Kegan

RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

WEMA +100!

google it

RWS
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Don't want to derail or post irrelevant content, but I have used WEMA to replace a fresh water tank sender. Gotta give a huge thumbs up for the company and their products.

A few years back I ordered from a 'local distributor' and waited 4 months for parts to show up... They blamed the 'sales guy'. Finally got p-o'd enough to call WEMA directly and ask to speak to the owner. A few minutes later I was talking to the owner (who was on the golf course...). 2 days later the parts I needed were delivered to my door, direct from the manufacturer. And they worked perfectly!
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

RWS wrote:WEMA +100!

google it

RWS

I did google it. I'd like to buy one rather than the traditional style. Just curious if there are specifics for our vessels.
Kegan