Prop Nut Zinc Anodes Vs. Shaft Anode

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

vabeach1234
Moderate User

Prop Nut Zinc Anodes Vs. Shaft Anode

Post by vabeach1234 »

Has anyone tried the prop nut zinc anodes? I saw these online but was wondering if anyone has used them possibly in place of shaft zincs. I have a right hand prop so was wondering if the cotter pin is still used so the prop wouldn't come off due to the nut backing off. I really couldn't find too much info on them. Seems like a good idea if the nut and zinc stay in place. Also once the nut is installed it seems like it would be easy to replace the zinc.

Here's a image of the kit.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Prop Nut Zinc Anodes Vs. Shaft Anode

Post by prowlersfish »

Sail boats use them as many have a short shaft . Will you have rudder clearance ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

Paul. That's a good question. Looking back at some photos I think I'm good. What's your thoughts on them? Have you heard of any issues?

Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
oil&water
Moderate User

Post by oil&water »

Yeah, I think you could drive a small truck through that gap. Only thing I would be worried about is getting a solid connection between the zinc, the mount, and the shaft. That's an awful lot of stainless to protect.
Currently Trojan-less :?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Looks like you have a lot of room . I have not hear any issues . On my boat you would not be able to use the cotter key not sure on yours . You could always drill it
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

If I use one, I think I'd also use one shaft zinc as well just to make sure I'm protected and compare the loss of zincs through the season. I usually can't make it a full year with my zincs and would like to have the option to replace them while in the water. With a single bolt holding them on, it looks like it might be easier to replace while still in the water. I can replace the trim tab and rudder zincs no problem, it's the shaft zincs that currently a challenge. I'm hoping to come out of the water soon if this thing called life would slow down a little so I can. She needs some new bottom paint bad. I'm gonna be a the Pirate Festival in Hampton, VA and also at Smithfield Olden Days in June. I'm really looking forward to this summer.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I hope to get out more this year myself .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

I got tired of dealing with shaft zincs and installed shaft brushes at the beginning of last year. If you have the space inside your engine room you can eliminate those zince entirely. Google Promariner shaft brush if you want to see what they look like.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
vabeach1234
Moderate User

Post by vabeach1234 »

BobCT wrote:I got tired of dealing with shaft zincs and installed shaft brushes at the beginning of last year. If you have the space inside your engine room you can eliminate those zince entirely. Google Promariner shaft brush if you want to see what they look like.

Bob
I like that idea. I'll have to think about this one and where to mount it, it would have to be near the transmission as I have a V-drive. I'd have to install a transom block zinc and wire to it, but that way I could replace the zincs while in the water easily. Currently I can do all but the shaft zincs. Scuba is out of the question for me due to health reasons. Don't ask...
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA