1977 Trojan F30 Express Water System

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Svend
Sporadic User

1977 Trojan F30 Express Water System

Post by Svend »

I have a 1977 Trojan F30 Express, and have some question on normal operations, and possible upgrades.

Here is the situation I have now. I installed a new faucet in galley, and ran a new water line directly from 12V pump which is located right next to large aluminum water tank. To run faucet, I must turn on an electric switch located near galley faucet. New faucet works great, with REALLY strong flow. This is due to a much shorter run of tubing, and a slightly larger tubing diameter.

Here are some questions.
1) if i leave pump switch on and turn off faucet, the pump pulsates, and makes noise, and does not seem happy. Is it normal on my vintage boat to always use switch for water, and only have it on when ready to turn on faucet?
2) is there an alternative set up that would eliminate the switch, and have the faucet work like in a home?
3) my tank being 40 years old, is there a good way to flush it, clean it?
4) now lets say i want to plumb up my bathroom faucet. do i have to go to the galley to turn on pump for water to flow in bathroom? would I hook up another switch in bathroom, and how would this be wired? (and same issue if i want to add a deck hose outlet to washing off deck or after swimming.)

In summary, what is the slickest, cleanest way to set up my water needs on a 1977 vintage Trojan 30 footer ;-)

thanks!!

Svend
trojan-water-setup.jpeg
trojan-water-setup.jpeg (183.2 KiB) Viewed 5330 times
1977 Trojan F30 Express, With Dual 318's with Electronic Ignition
Raymarine EV 100 Auto Pilot
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: 1977 Trojan F30 Express Water System

Post by captainmaniac »

You may not have an original setup, as back in the 70's I think the water tanks were all fiberglass. If yours is aluminum, it may be a retrofit.

Normally the switch for the fresh water pump is on the helm console somewhere, away from a water source. Seems strange that yours would be where you say it is (or did you put it in?). Switch should be able to stay on at all times. On my F32 it is on all summer and when I leave the boat I turn the battery switch off. I only turn the fresh water pump switch off when the tank is empty, like through the winter, so I can still turn the batteries on without burning the pump out.

Normally if it pulsates when no water is in use it means one of 2 things : leak in the pipes somewhere so pressure is dropping so pump pulsates to repressurize, or pump impeller or diaphragm issue - once the system is pressurized water is flowing backwards through the pump and back to the tank, again resulting in loss of pressure and the pulsating to repressurise.

Start with the simple one of checking the system for leaks (or is the faucet dripping?). If that doesn't show anything, consider pump rebuild or replacement.
Liberdade

Post by Liberdade »

What kind of pump is it? Most freshwater pumps have a pressure switch mounted on them that automatically turns them off when the correct pressure is reached. It sounds to me like your pump is not turning off at all, which likely means a bad pressure switch. Also, your diagram is not showing a pressure accumulator tank, do you have one? With an accumulator tank and properly functioning pressure switch, you can leave the pump on at all times and it will operate just like at home.

There are several kinds of water tank treatment cleaners/deoderizers that can be used to clean the tank, as well as additives to keep the water from developing a bad smell.

After you get that first faucet operating correctly, you can add the others and they will work the same way, leaving the pump switch on.
1987 Trojan 11 Meter Express
Svend
Sporadic User

Post by Svend »

great ideas and help... thanks! Attached is a picture of my pump. It looks like it has pressure switch on one end?!

this pump looks to me made in 2000, so it is not original by a long shot.
shurflo-pump.jpg
shurflo-pump.jpg (152.97 KiB) Viewed 5305 times
Svend
Sporadic User

Post by Svend »

@ Liberdade: I think you were right... I had a slight leak in fittings that was letting air and water in/out. Once I tightened everything up , it worked like you said... turn on switch and leave it on. Thanks for your guys help!!

Svend
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

An accumulator will also add a small amount of water capacity, but the biggest advantage is that the pump doesn't turn on every time you open a fixture. Great news if the pump is under your bed and someone flushes the head in the middle of the night....
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

Ahoy,

I have a 78 F30.

Your water set up is identical to mine and I also have an aluminum tank. That upright contraption looks like a winterizing device jerry rig. I would remove it.

The pump may nearing its end of useful life. Once the switch on galley is pulled, pump comes on pulsates and then shuts off.

Like others said, if it don’t shut off, that is an indication of a water or air leak.

I would not add an accumulator tank. Or system is small and new pumps have more power.

So water comes from water pump to dinette and then splits with one going to hot water tank and remaining cold going and splitting again to go to each faucet.

Such a royal pain to find fittings. I switched everything to brass compression fittings.

Did you have a problem with the hot water hose going to the galley? That hose is slightly smaller than all of the other ones.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express