Crusader 270 runs out of fuel

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

hooked

Crusader 270 runs out of fuel

Post by hooked »

Hi, my starboard engine will start if I pump the throttle a couple times after a couple minutes it will die , if I pump the throttle a few more times it does the same thing. Changed fuel filter was full. Removed carburetor checked float , repacked needle valve and seat, no change. Switched fuel hose from port side tanks no change. Pulled vent hose to carburetor and it seems to run slightly longer. Will die most of the time if I try to give it more throttle. Put a bottle on carb feed and it appears be getting at least some fuel. Need suggestions 1989 Crusader 270 Quadrajet carburetor
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Crusader 270 runs out of fuel

Post by prowlersfish »

Getting some fuel ? I would check the fuel pump pressure .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
hooked

Post by hooked »

Pressure is good. Still dies after a couple minutes. When I move throttle lever I can hear fuel squirt into carburetor. After it burns that initial fuel it dies.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Prior history?

Previously ran every day?

Just off 10 years on the hard?

Did none of the search results for this forum return hits that piqued your interest? Help us help you!

And you changed or at least inspected that little fuel filter right where the fuel line enters tbe carburetor? And the engine mounted fuel filter?
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
hooked

Post by hooked »

Changed both fuel filters. Ran with no issues a week prior. Took fuel sample and it looks good. .
mikeandanne
Moderate User

Post by mikeandanne »

Next time it runs out of fuel ( engine stops ), dont do anything until you until you take the top off the carb and see what is in the float bowl, if it is empty then you may have stuck needle and seat, fuel pump issues, kinked line, etc, etc, carbs need a level and some pressure to operate properly.
I am mentioning this because you said you could pump the throttle and get some gas for a while , then stops.
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

hooked wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:21 pm Changed both fuel filters. Ran with no issues a week prior. Took fuel sample and it looks good. .
Took fuel sample from where?

I second the take a look advice. Will tell you if fuel is where it needs to be.

Can post pics of what it should NOT look like after i get to a computer.

Also, starboard engine being the problem implies there is a port engine. Switching carbs is a 30 minute investment to see if it is indeed only a carb issue. And before i forget, good luck! Be sure to post eventual answer, as solutions to Trojan problems are the very heart of this forum.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!