Ladder to fly bridge

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Captrichc
Moderate User

Ladder to fly bridge

Post by Captrichc »

Has anyone ever made their ladder removable. Trying to figure out the hardware that might be needed. Also willing to hear all ideas. I want to build a filet table and jig locker in that dead space behind the ladder. But i need to be able to remove the ladder to clean fish.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Ladder to fly bridge

Post by captainmaniac »

Look up pictures of F30 flybridges. Ladder on many (most ? all ?) of them folded up onto the bridge when not required.
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

We also wanted to be able to clean fish on the boat, so made a table out of Starboard that slips on the back rail. Might be easier than trying to modify the ladder.
aft.jpg
aft.jpg (58.78 KiB) Viewed 14019 times
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

gitchisum wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:01 am We also wanted to be able to clean fish on the boat, so made a table out of Starboard that slips on the back rail. Might be easier than trying to modify the ladder.

aft.jpg
Did you Raise the rail ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Paul, many boats which are inspected by USCG for fishing with passengers (6-Pack, etc) have guidelines on the height requirement of the rails. I am assuming this is why his rails are higher than factory.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
dagen
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by dagen »

The ladder on my 1978 F30 folds up and sits on the bridge deck. That gives a lot more deck room down below and makes boarding much easier since it is not in the way. Folding process is very easy.
gitchisum
Moderate User

Post by gitchisum »

Paul - We completely scrapped the factory setup.

At times we are running 21 lines and get 3-5 people shuffling around the back deck ( double, triple, quad hookups). This one is made from 1.5" thick wall stainless and welded stainless flange. gap height is 17.5 inches.

The board was fashion from a 2" x 14" x 17' piece of Mahogany. ( I don't even want to admit what the piece of wood cost ) This allowed me to match the aft curve of the boat while having one continuous piece of wood. The p/s pieces were cut from the remnant and doweled, glued and mechanically fastened.

The whole setup is super strong and I don't worry about people as much with this setup.

Couple of pics of the build
back rail.jpg
back rail.jpg (23.53 KiB) Viewed 13992 times
back rail 1 coat.JPG
back rail 1 coat.JPG (48.95 KiB) Viewed 13992 times
88 321 Sedan 270 crusaders
2001 Seadoo Challenger 2000
97 Lowe Roughneck 17TC
1948 Alumacraft K14, Evinrude twin 6hp " Still kickin"
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

For a 6 pack there is no rail height restrictions. Yes i am raising my rails next season. But i really need to know how you fold up your ladder . That will give me so much more room.
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Stripermann2 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:40 pm Paul, many boats which are inspected by USCG for fishing with passengers (6-Pack, etc) have guidelines on the height requirement of the rails. I am assuming this is why his rails are higher than factory.
FWIW 6 Pack boat are not inspected Vessels . But if you carry more then 6 then you must have a "inspected" vessel . Many off shore charter boats could easily carry more then 6 . They don't because of the hassle of have a inspected vessel .

I know you know this Jamie but many may not , Don't confuse a Inspected vessel with USCG Auxiliary Courtesy Marine Examination .
gitchisum wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:54 pm Paul - We completely scrapped the factory setup.

At times we are running 21 lines and get 3-5 people shuffling around the back deck ( double, triple, quad hookups). This one is made from 1.5" thick wall stainless and welded stainless flange. gap height is 17.5 inches.

The board was fashion from a 2" x 14" x 17' piece of Mahogany. ( I don't even want to admit what the piece of wood cost ) This allowed me to match the aft curve of the boat while having one continuous piece of wood. The p/s pieces were cut from the remnant and doweled, glued and mechanically fastened.

The whole setup is super strong and I don't worry about people as much with this setup.
Nice Job on the rail
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Captrichc
Moderate User

Post by Captrichc »

prowlersfish wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:29 pm
Stripermann2 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:40 pm Paul, many boats which are inspected by USCG for fishing with passengers (6-Pack, etc) have guidelines on the height requirement of the rails. I am assuming this is why his rails are higher than factory.
FWIW 6 Pack boat are not inspected Vessels . But if you carry more then 6 then you must have a "inspected" vessel . Many off shore charter boats could easily carry more then 6 . They don't because of the hassle of have a inspected vessel .

I know you know this Jamie but many may not , Don't confuse a Inspected vessel with USCG Auxiliary Courtesy Marine Examination .
gitchisum wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:54 pm Paul - We completely scrapped the factory setup.

Nice Job on the rail
Agreed. I hold a 150gross ton near coastal captians license. I run many larger party boats all summer long.

Now back to the ladder. Where is Bob when you need him. Lol
1974 f32 Sedan
Twin 233 Mercruisers
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Good to know, thanks for the information.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!