Crusader engine overheat shutoff?

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

bigrgh

Crusader engine overheat shutoff?

Post by bigrgh »

Does anyone know if my 1983 454 crusaders have an automatic engine overheat shutoff?! I have a poorly working temp gauge or sensor. My temp gauge acts up once in a while. But the engine (by temp gun)is at normal operating temp. Three times my engine shut off when the gauge was maxed out. I was getting no spark but would crank over no problem. I changed the coil the next day fired right up again. Happened yesterday. Tried to restart wouldn’t start. Came back this morning with a new coil and tried to start it before I changed the coil and it fired right up and ran no problems. Temp gauge wasn’t acting up. So is there a hi temp shutoff that kills ignition power if temp sending unit acts up?? I bought now sending units. Going to change them tomorrow. Now I also have to check the two other coils to see if they are good!
Slippery When Wet
84- 10meter
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Crusader engine overheat shutoff?

Post by prowlersfish »

No high temp shut off .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: Crusader engine overheat shutoff?

Post by Big D »

Unless there was an aftermarket system installed, there's no OEM high temp shut off in that vintage that I can remember. Do you have an automatic engine shutdown system on board like a Fireboy? Check this link for an idea of what the control box looks like. The ES or ELS units closer to the bottom of the page are pretty common. These will shut down your engines based on sensor input.
https://www.fireboy-xintex.com/automati ... n-systems/
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year