New to the Trojan World

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jasonsmitten

New to the Trojan World

Post by jasonsmitten »

Hey folks,

I am new to the Trojan world of boating and new to the do it yourself maintenance side as well. However, I am a long time boater and sailor.

My wife and I are proud owners of our new 1976 Trojan f36 with twin Chrysler 383 ci 280 HP 'big block' RWC. It has been kept in great condition over the years and mostly everything is still original. We boat out of Lower Lake Simcoe Ontario and I am still acclimating myself to the care and maintenance of the boat and engines.

I have already opened up and winterized once myself unsupervised. Under the specific and detailed instructions given by the previous owner. (many thanks btw).

This year I have run into, what most likely is, a common problem. Both engines turned over however both started to over heat. I check to see if there was flow through the water filter and there was. I could not see if water was coming out the exhaust as both exhausts are slightly below the water line. I did not see to much steam however I do not have enough visual experience to use the steam as an indicator. I took an IR reading off the engines around the block and in one area it read 220F so I quickly shut her down. I am aware that 150 to 165F is the upper operating temps.

Question 1. Is there a suggested area on the engine to take an IR reading?
Question 2. Having never changed an impeller ever what are some good tips?
Question 3. Where can I obtain a service manual for my engines.

Thanks so much in advance and fyi I am very new to the idea of a forum so I hope I don't mess this up. Ha!
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: New to the Trojan World

Post by Moderator »

I moved your post to the Trojan boat section . It will get more traffic . Welcome to the forum

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by Moderator »

Both engines ? Did you perhaps leave the seacocks closed . Check the temp at the thermostat housind is a good place . Are you raw or closed cooling ?

Helping keep Trojan Yachts alive .
Forum Moderator
TrojanBoats.Net
Trojan Boater
AwayOnBusine$$
Moderate User

Post by AwayOnBusine$$ »

We are here at Lagoon city If you need assistance call me 2894044252.
F32 Fly 1975
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

If you did leave the Seacocks closed better check the impellers
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jasonsmitten

Post by jasonsmitten »

thanks for the proper placement of my post!

I am Raw Water Cooled (RWC) and the seacocks were open.

I checked the temperature on the top of the thermostat and it appeared within tolerant levels (at the time 145F after running for 2mins.) however at the side of the block I got 220F so I got scared and shut her down.

I think its going to be impeller time however I have never done that on a boat engine before and would like some reference material (namely a service manual lol) before I get going.

thanks for the contact number lagoon city Im in Lefroy! I will buzz you.

Anyone recognize this manual? https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/MCQAAOSw ... -l1600.jpg
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

It's possible your impellers just got to 'that age'.

There are a bunch of basic 'how to' videos out there for how to do the swap, such as this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOacHnmlH_I. It's a little more of a challenge with how our engines are set up as you are either laying or squatting over top of batteries (for the stbd), or crawling over the port or crawling in between it and the hullside... This guy had a LOT more room to work! But the mechanics of dropping the water pump, cracking it open, pulling and replacing the impeller (making sure to lube it a bit and getting the rotation / blade set in the right direction!!!!), and putting it back together are pretty much the same.

If any blades or pieces of blades are missing, you will want to find them... as they can block water flow through the engine and cause overheating in specific areas (like you are seeing). I have been lucky so far, and even though I have had to deal with one totally shredded impeller (all blades either missing or damaged), and a couple with some fragments missing, have always been able to find the pieces in the hoses (before the transmission oil cooler, before the thermostat, IN the thermostat housing, and before the circulation pump).
jasonsmitten

Post by jasonsmitten »

thank you so much for that info. I hope im not missing pieces ugh. I will check out that video.

Also any idea on what the tension should be on the belts? I just had it at a half inch of play along the longest stretch.

This forum is really helping me thanks again.
jasonsmitten

Post by jasonsmitten »

So here is the update.

I spent 5 hours with my son and we switched out both port and starboard impellers. They we're dual-port and we successfully put them back together.

When we pulled out the starboard impellers they were in good shape however we found I don't know three pieces of previous impeller blades that the prior owner must have missed. In the port side impeller we pulled a broken impeller and found most of the pieces one small piece approximately one centimeter Square was missing and we could not find it.

We started up both engines and they still both overheated. So although my son and I had a great time doing it they are engines are still down. Your paragraph here is the question.

I'm going to follow along the hoses past the impeller to see where the next elbows and turns are and I will disassemble there to check for pieces and obstructions. Then I will check the thermostat. After that I believe comes the heat exchangers which I think might be a little bit for me. Does it sound like I'm on the right track.

Looking forward to boating... Jay
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Water coming out the exhaust ? is this a F36 conv or a tricabin ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jasonsmitten

Post by jasonsmitten »

Tri deck.
Tried to upload a pic but it was too big. Lol

73 F36 tri deck
Exhaust are below water line... soooo hard to tell however flow can be observed when I remove the raw water intake filter top whole engine is running.
jasonsmitten

Post by jasonsmitten »

Sorry tricabin :D