Sparky sparky Update distributor

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jimmy
Sporadic User

Sparky sparky Update distributor

Post by Jimmy »

While testing my repair on the velvet drive reducer, i noticed a pretty good spark coming from my coil wire to the distributor, arcing from coil to comon ground. First off all glad we always run blowers 5 min before we fire up the girls and always do a sniff test from the blowers. So, cleaded off the coil plug, that showed some slight corrosion, but enough to raise the resistance to arc to a path of lesser resistance. Put it back on, and no more spark.

#1, i guess need to run the engines with hatches closed and look for arc’s a bit more often

#2. And, Reminded me I wanted to replace the old points and condenser for updated system anyway. What is the best to swap to. Assuming new wires and plugs as well.

1988 454 crusaders.

Suggestions?
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....
bssmnbll

Re: Sparky sparky Update distributor

Post by bssmnbll »

I am not that familiar with the 454, but suprised you still have points in 88. I am running 76 Chryslers with oem electronic and am going to put in Pertronics, it made a difference in my old 50 Merc flathead.
Jimmy
Sporadic User

Re: Sparky sparky Update distributor

Post by Jimmy »

Boat neighbor has an 88 Chris craft with exactly same engine. Had points as well, his has since been converted as well. So, looking at options.
1988 Trojan 11 Meter Express

My wife made me do it... Really.....