Oil Filter Gasket Leak

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

The Dog House
Active User

Oil Filter Gasket Leak

Post by The Dog House »

The oil filter gasket is leaking on my Chrysler LM318. I use Mobil M1-301A filters. I plan on changing the oil and filter this Saturday. Hopefully that will fix the leak.

Is there anything I should be looking for when I change the oil filter? I know to make sure the old gasket is off and I clean the mounting surface before I put the new filter on. This is the first time I had a leak at the oil filter gasket in the eight years I've owned the boat. Is it possible I just got a bad gasket on the filter I put on? Thanks for any insight anyone can provide.
1993 Sea Ray 200 Overnighter OB with 1993 Mercury 150 hp Outboard
1979 Starcraft 14' Rowboat with 2011 Mercury 9.9 hp Outboard
Former boat: 1971 Trojan F26
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Oil Filter Gasket Leak

Post by prowlersfish »

If its not the filter ,It also Could be the seal under the oil filter adapter . 2 types used. But hopefully a bad filter make sure the old filter seal came off
Attachments
oil filter addat.jpg
oil filter addat.jpg (13.68 KiB) Viewed 6667 times
oil filter.jpg
oil filter.jpg (13.21 KiB) Viewed 6667 times
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

I purchased my Mobil M1-301A oil filter at Walmart today. I looked at several M1-301A filters on the shelf. Some of the rubber gaskets were much thinner than others. On one filter the rubber gasket was barely past the metal canister. The rubber gasket on the filter I chose extended significantly past the metal canister.

Last year my wife picked up the oil filter for me when she was shopping at Walmart. Prior to that I always purchased the filters at Pep Boys. I'm wondering if the quality control of the filters at Walmart is not as good as the filters at an auto parts store. I could see how the filter with the thin rubber gasket would not seal as well. If the filter I put on last year had a similar gasket it would explain the oil leak I have. We'll find out this Friday when I change the oil and filter. Either way I think I will be purchasing my filters from an auto parts store in the future.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

I only buy FRAM.
fpawn

Post by fpawn »

I agree better to buy a fram or other quality filters and not from Walmart. I believe there are different qualities sold at discount stores. Just like tools. The same tool you buy at Home depot is a different quality than same tool at a retail store. Not worth the dollar or two you save upfront
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

prowlersfish wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:56 pm If its not the filter ,It also Could be the seal under the oil filter adapter . 2 types used. But hopefully a bad filter make sure the old filter seal came off
I changed the oil and filter today. When I started the engine up oil was leaking from where the oil filter adapter meets the engine block. Can I just replace the gasket or do I need a new oil filter adapter. The type I have is the one on top in prowlersfish post with the 90 degree turn to it. Also, is there an instruction sheet somewhere that shows how to replace the gasket/adapter?
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

I found this oil filter adapter gasket set on Beacons's website.

https://www.trojanboats.net/zencart/ind ... cts_id=531

I'm assuming this is what I need. Can anyone confirm?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Looks like it . Pretty simple to replace , hard part is the cleaning the gasket/seal area . one large "bolt" replace the seals on the bolt . Make sure its all lined up to were it was .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
The Dog House
Active User

Post by The Dog House »

The gasket kit was ordered and should be here by the end of the week. I'm assuming that I will not need to drain the oil to remove the oil filter adapter and replace the gaskets. Since the oil filter holds 1 quart I will be down a quart that I will need to add but I think that will be it. Thanks again for your advice/experience.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The Dog House wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:52 pm The gasket kit was ordered and should be here by the end of the week. I'm assuming that I will not need to drain the oil to remove the oil filter adapter and replace the gaskets. Since the oil filter holds 1 quart I will be down a quart that I will need to add but I think that will be it. Thanks again for your advice/experience.
Correct .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels