fuel tank replacement

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

kallen
Sporadic User

fuel tank replacement

Post by kallen »

I will be replacing my fuel tanks on my 1981 F-32 this coming spring. Should the replacement tanks be certified as the original tanks are certified. As I live in ontario canada has anyone used a ontario supplier.
BradZ
Sporadic User

Re: fuel tank replacement

Post by BradZ »

Is anything wrong with your tanks? Seems like everyone thinks they have to replace tanks just because they are made of galvanized steel. If they are not leaking and don't show signs of deteriorating inside or outside then why replace them?
1976 Trojan F-32 Sedan Home Port is Catawba Island live in Wadsworth Ohio
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

And yes they should be certified . To me it would be a must . And to a surveyor and your insurance should any thing happen .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
kallen
Sporadic User

Post by kallen »

After inspecting the inside of the tanks there is lots of corrosion on the walls of the tank and on the bottom. Drained the tank and sucked out any krud off the bottom. The boat is 38 years old so planning for the future. Better to know what I might be into money wise.
BradZ
Sporadic User

Post by BradZ »

Ah I see, I do know that using the gas with ethanol added is a big no no. The ethanol will loosen up the crud and it will eventually plug up the filters. But I have a 1976 F-32 and I just changed my filters that were dated 3/23/16 and they were remarkably clean. I checked the small filter that in my Carter AFB carb and it was spotless. I do have water/filter separators and an inline filter before the carb on each engine though. So that is probably why I haven't had any issues. I'm thinking if I keep the filters changed at least annually, I should be in good shape. Also keeping the fuel tanks almost full vs almost empty will keep the tanks from rusting. After all gas is made from oil. I was contemplating having tanks made and asked our metal fabricator with 30 + years experience what he would make the new tanks out of and he said "Galvanized" metal. Also every car on the road today has gas tanks made of steel as far as I know. I'm no expert but wanted to share my experience with the original tanks on my 1976 F-32.
1976 Trojan F-32 Sedan Home Port is Catawba Island live in Wadsworth Ohio
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Aluminum is IMO the best for fuel tanks with plastic(polyethylene) being a close second . As far cars and trucks go they have not used steel for a long time on any car I can think of . They are mostly (all) plastic( polyethylene ) now.

I left out Monel , while a great material , I don't know of anyone using it any more , I assume do to cost .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D