Fresh water tank on a 89 10 meter mid-cabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

twigs

Re: Fresh water tank on a 89 10 meter mid-cabin

Post by twigs »

Hey! Did you ever find the other end of that water hose?

I have a 1986 Trojan 10 Meter Express, Mid Cabin. I checked my forward bildge to find 2 inches of water. I drained it well and started drying it up when I saw a drip coming from my hose that is connected to the screen/filter that connects to the water pump. So we tightened the clamp up some. That did the trick as far as the drip goes. But as I sop up that water, more slowly appears from beneath the fiberglass bridge that the bildge pump sits on. It's like a plate that it sits on. The water slowly appears from there.

I believe that it may be dripping from the other end of this hose I just tightened up. And would LOVE to know how to access it without drilling holes. Not confident in doing so.

As I have read this entire thread I am wondering, could the hose run under the stairs? For example, if I were able to remove the top of the first step, would I be able to see the water tank and possibly the hose attaching to it? Or does it connect lower, beneath the tank?

I am so close to resolving this. I can feel it!
mrrudely
Sporadic User

Post by mrrudely »

twigs
I have a 1989 10 meter mid cabin
I have removed all of the steps and there is nothing to see there except the
very last step might expose a very short amount of hose (probably the water inlet hose)
The water tank outlet is, with much difficulty, visible from the forward bilge
it lies just above the keel
with a flashlight, mirror, and maybe camera aimed toward the stern you'll be able to see it
I would suggest getting the forward bilge as dry as possible first
I changed the hose but had to cut a hole is the sole to do it
could not figure any other way
rr
10 meter mid cabin
zedtwentyate
Moderate User

Post by zedtwentyate »

I probably have some pictures I can dig up...The tank is fiberglassed in between the two stringers. As Mr Rudely said, stick your head down in a preferably dry bilge...and look towards the rear of the boat. You should see a barbed fitting with the hose connected to it. Interestingly enough, mine did NOT have a hose clamp on it. I replaced it with a sharkbite fitting and a pex line coming off the tank. It was a major pain in the a$$ because of the limited access. Thank god for my long arms and supply of beer.

As our great friend Bob at beacon once told me, the Mid cabin is a great boat, but it was put together a little "sloppy". I would recommend you talk to him about a few of the typical woes you might face...NUMBER 1 on the list should be the limber holes in the stringers and your incoming air vent boxes. water intrusion kills these wood stringer mid cabins.
Kegan

1986 Trojan F-27 (SOLD!!!)
1989 Trojan 10 Meter Mid Cabin