Trojan vs Trojan

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dab62

Trojan vs Trojan

Post by dab62 »

Hello all. I was wondering if anyone had moved from an F series to an International. Or vice versa. If so, what were your thoughts/impressions.
1987 F32
All Wrapt Up
Kent Narrows,Md.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Trojan vs Trojan

Post by prowlersfish »

While I never made the switch , I looked at buying a 11 meter . I had a F30 Clean machine ( Great Boat) . I start looking for a bigger boat the short list was a F32 , F36 33 Egg but was open to others . On one pier at our marina there were 3 Trojans up for sale 2 F36s and a 11 meter . After looking at a F32 and a 33 Egg I looked at the F36s and the 11 meter . The 11 meter had the most room inside and I did like it . What I did not like about it was the very narrow walk way to get to the bow . My better half would have real issue a she is well lets say not that graceful . She was also a lot slower then the F36s and higher full burn. Another plus the 11 meter had a great ride . The F36s had wide gunnels were faster and better on fuel . The 11 meter and the newer of the 2 F36 were close in price and age . The narrow Gunnels were a big deal even though she like the boat better other wise , I liked the classic lines of the F36 better . I decided on the older of the 2 F36s . I had made that choice because the older one had a hard top . It also has diesels . The diesels scared me some but also would be better on fuel . That was almost 16 years ago I still have that F36 and still happy with the choice .

A side note I was out cruising on Sunday , and stopped on the way back to pick up some crab cakes . I tied up the boat and looked at the boat behind me . It was the very same 11 meter . And I likely would have been happy with the 11 meter . Would I still have owned it after 16 years ? U Never Know .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

One of the things that attracted me to the F-36 was the classic lines. After owning ours for a few years, I like them even more. Every time we go to at marina and take a transient slip, I think we have the prettiest boat on the dock!

While I like the Internationals, I don't think I would feel the same way about one. Just call me old school!
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Didn't switch, but did look at both series. Space, layout, and 'feel' were big things when the wife and I were looking. Decided we were less of a fan for the 'euro' styling of the Internationals, the curved lines and everything being rounded in the interior, the use of lots of colour, etc... and just decided we leaned more towards the classic lines, layout, use of wood, and (please don't attack me International guys!!!) 'function' over 'style' of the F-boats. Also decided the F32 layout worked better for us than the F36 or a Tri Cab.

Bottom line, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and also an element of history. My introduction to boats and boating is when my father bought a 1969 Trojan 28' Sea Skiff. Wooden construction, lapstrake hull, plywood bottom, teak decks, great lines, and focused on sea-keeping. Dad looked at a bunch of other boats, but just had to land on the Trojan. It's in my blood, I can't change that!
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

As compared to the "BUBBLE BOAT" school of design, the F series offers a timeless style.

While the International is no longer considered AVANT GARDE, it too has a classic styling that is not (yet) dated.

The styling trends of the 80's 90's through today have seen some ideas come and go, and for good reason

Not all of those have fared as well as the International & F series

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
dab62

Post by dab62 »

Good replies guys. I wonder how many other boat manufacturers have such a devoted following to 2 totally different styles of boats.
1987 F32
All Wrapt Up
Kent Narrows,Md.