BUZZER/ALARM ISSUE

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dab62

BUZZER/ALARM ISSUE

Post by dab62 »

Hello all. I have had an annoying problem with a buzzer/alarm on both stations of my F32. I belive it is tied to my syncronizer, it seems to coincide with the lights on the syncros. It is like spastic morse code. syncros seem original. It also does not go away when engines are synched. Any thoughts, or ideas would be appreciated.
1987 F32
All Wrapt Up
Kent Narrows,Md.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: BUZZER/ALARM ISSUE

Post by prowlersfish »

If you think its a synchronizer issue you could disconnect it . Will it do it with just one engine running ? Are the temps and pressures normal ? Voltage readings ok ? All the time or under certain conditions ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
dab62

Post by dab62 »

It happens all the time. all gauges read normal,except starboard engine always reads colder than normal. I have verified via infrared gun that she's running at normal temp. I have not tried one engine only. It's so annoying that I wanted to disconnect the buzzer, but did not want to disable another alarm. Time to dig deeper. Thanks for the reply!
1987 F32
All Wrapt Up
Kent Narrows,Md.
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

What make / model of engine synch do you have?

Engine alarms are usually set up to warn based on things like temperature or oil pressure issues, or if an engine quits (again, picks up on zero oil pressure). Perhaps you just have a wiring issue. Has anyone done work on the boat recently and maybe reconnected wires incorrectly, or perhaps chafed wires allowing signal to the synch to impact or short out normal sense wires?

One other consideration - most F32s have separate buzzers for port and starboard engines. Is this happening on the same side at both stations, or different, or is there a third buzzer sensing something else?
dab62

Post by dab62 »

Perhaps it is a wiring issue. The thing that strikes me a bit odd is that it's not a steady sound.As I indicated. it's like spastic Morse code. Time for some dash diving. I'll have to pay attention to which side of the dash it's coming from. I think it might be a 3rd buzzer. Hard to tell because the sound is not steady. I'll probably have to wait until spring, so I can run the engines. Thanks again for your input.
1987 F32
All Wrapt Up
Kent Narrows,Md.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Also look lose wiring .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
dab62

Post by dab62 »

That's probably the best place to start. Plus it will be a good winter project!
1987 F32
All Wrapt Up
Kent Narrows,Md.