Sanitary hose replacement fun

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Diverted Income
Moderate User

Sanitary hose replacement fun

Post by Diverted Income »

Anybody have a favorite for brand of sanitary hose? Going to replace mine in the next few weeks. 1-1/2", just do want to have to again anytime soon!
Thanks!
1982 Trojan F-32 w/Merc 230's
1975 Baja V-1800J w/ 502 Ford
http://missriverrat.com
https://www.facebook.com/UMRMriverrat
Big D
Ultimate User

Re: Sanitary hose replacement fun

Post by Big D »

All the major hose manufacturers make sanitation hose. Dometic makes a very good one albeit pricey, however if you buy the cheapest one, you'll being doing this again in 5 years if conditions are right. The hose, type of system, and the routing/installation all contribute to the hose's longevity and whether it will permeate in 5 years or 50. Installation plays a huge roll here.

The key thing to remember is that the more flexible the hose, the more prone it is to permeation, that's just the nature of the materials used to make it flexible. Some of the best installations are a combination of rigid ABS or PVC which won't permeate and the best to use in low lying areas that will always contain waste in the lines, and flexible hose where needed due to installation restraints. Any flexible hose that will hold waste for extended periods will permeate sooner than later so try to avoid that in systems that are not Vacuflush. In Vacuflush type systems that work under vaccum, flexible hose can be used as there will be no standing waste left in the vacuum side of the circuit. From the vacuum generator to the holding tank though the run must be downhill if you're using flexible hose in that section or you'll have the same potential for permeation in any areas with standing waste in the hose.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
tcollins2
2024 Forum Support
2024 Forum Support

Post by tcollins2 »

I used Shields Marine Poly X Sanitation Hose in 2016 on my 12M Express. Absolutely no odor permeation at all.
A bit tough to get on barbed fittings, but worth the fight. Only want to do this once.

Shields Poly X is considered the ultimate sanitation hose. Easy to slip over most fittings, Poly X combines the flexibility of a rubber hose with the permeation resistance of polyurethane, making it one of the most versatile and durable sanitation hoses on the market.
It is made of smooth white neoprene with two textile fabric plies and features a glossy cover of polyurethane that is abrasion resistant and easy to clean. The Poly X can operate at temperatures ranging from -22 degrees +195 degrees F and comes with Shields' lifetime warranty against odor permeation.

Available in 12" lengths with internal diameter of 1" as well as 12' and 50' lengths with internal diameter of 1-1/2".
1990 Trojan 12M International Express Detroit Diesels 6-71T's, 425HP
WayWeGo
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by WayWeGo »

Trident Sani Shield Heavy Wall and Raritan Sani/Flex are also excellent hoses. I have the Trident on our boat and it has lived up to its reputation.
1975 F-36 Convertible
Twin Chrysler 440's
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

It should be mentioned that this has the potential of being a messy job. Before you start, flush some fresh water through the toilet several times, then get a pump out. As several techs in the industry have experienced, I would also caution that this is a potential bio hazard and protective gear should be used when working on the system such as a couple of layers of nitrile gloves, a filter mask, and eye protection. Oh and have lots of rags and a bag handy just in case!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

When I replaced my heads with vacuflush, I went to clear PVC wherever possible. Is it possible to maneuver 8 ft. lengths of pipe in the engine room of a 36' boat? Survey says..... YES! I used Poly X elsewhere.

https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/u ... ?pid=14411

https://www.mcmaster.com/49035k87

I did NOT spring for clear fittings. Don't ask me why they cost so much.

JFC! We$t Marine is very, very proud of their hose... https://www.westmarine.com/buy/shields- ... 33_001_507

Hard pipe is impermeable, and way cheaper!
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!