F25 Coast Guard number plate

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

drudodson

F25 Coast Guard number plate

Post by drudodson »

Getting ready to register my 1973 F25, and Arkansas has a new requirement for a pic or rubbing of "hull number" plate. Older registrations on this boat list a "serial number" or "hull number" of TRL3149127225 (should that have been listed as TRJ instead of TRL?). I can't find a plate anywhere with that number on the boat to take a pic. Have checked the transom several times, which is where it was on the 11m International I used to have. Looked around shore power panel. The signature "hull number" of 251-3149 is on a plate at the helm - but can't find the longer number anywhere. Help?
Lake Ouachita, Hot Springs National Park, Arkansas
F-251 Hardtop 1973 with LM 318 Chrysler (reminds me of my '71 Challenger!)

"We are all in the same boat in a stormy sea, and we owe each other a terrible loyalty." G. K. Chesterton
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: F25 Coast Guard number plate

Post by prowlersfish »

Copied from Bob on a another thread here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2941

"Hull number - TRJ number

The TRJ (Coast Guard certification number) is found on the starboard side of the transom just above the swim deck if she has a one. This would be true of all fiberglass Trojan hulls 1970 - 1992. TRJ stands for TROJAN and this is the Coast Guard certification number and the one that is often found on your registration.

The Hull number or as is some time referred to the (working hull number) is found on a tag made of aluminum by the AC DC panel, inside the door of the AC DC panel or below the AC DC panel. On some smaller Trojan under 30 ft it is often found on the back of the head door or a closet door.
On the F 30 Clean Machine it is on the inside of the closet door starboard side forward.
This Trojan tag has the engine ID number (s), inspector number and the Hull number which is three numbers followed by four. This number is its finger print of your Trojan and is the easiest to work with or decode. "
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
drudodson

Post by drudodson »

Thanks, and I had found that post, so went back to boat to double check transom above swim platform. Its not there. So maybe removed over the years because it came loose, or was in the way on one of its bottom paint jobs, or?

"We are all in the same boat in a stormy sea, and we owe each other a terrible loyalty." G. K. Chesterton
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

It is molded in to the hull
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Perhaps The plate form is hiding it or mounted above it ?

Or elsewhere on early ones ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Paul - SW Ontario
Moderate User

Post by Paul - SW Ontario »

On my 1973 F-25, the capacity plate is behind the vertical helm cover under the steering wheel, where the fuse panel is.

The Hull Identification Number is moulded into the gelcoat on the Starboard Transom above the exhaust port at the height of the swim platform if you have one.
1973 Trojan F25.5 - SW, ON.
2012 Triple Axle trailer
1978 C&C Mega 30' Sailboat
2014 Triple Axle trailer
2016 Highfield CL290 BL RIB
2017 20hp Suzuki 4 stroke
drudodson

Post by drudodson »

Thanks all. I'll look behind and under swim platform on starboard side, I've been looking just above it and up under gunwale. And I've been looking for a painted over metal plate, I'll look for molded numbers. Almost a crazy maker as I've been down on hands and knees on platform looking, but will do it again.

drudodson

Post by drudodson »

To close the loop: the impressed number was indeed UNDER the swim platform right above starboard exhaust, almost at waterline. Part of the number is covered up by depthfinder transducer mount. Since our state now requires a pic, new regulation, I was belly down on platform dangling my iphone over the water. Thanks again for all the help! As a side note, the boat has been mis-registered for all of its lifetime. An incorrect hull id# has been passed down from registration to registration. The manufacturer's abbreviation and the last three digits have both been wrong on previous paperwork.

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

The last 3 numbers maybe the model number and may or may not be on the title/reg . For a F25 they are 251, 252 or 253 and for a F26 they are 261 or 262
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
drudodson

Post by drudodson »

Yes even though you can clearly see the last three numbers as 251, for all of its life it has been registered with the last three digits as 225. Which is the horsepower printed on the engine, coincidence? With the new reg requiring a pic of the "VIN" number, there was confusion at the Revenue office yesterday! At first they tried to assure us that their paperwork was correct, but it's hard to argue with a pic of actual number. So we're apparently going to start fresh after 40+ years and they're going to issue a "new number" that matches what's on the boat. Thanks,

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Hopefully they get it right .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels