Engine won't start - clicking from relay in battery box

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

tdogg

Engine won't start - clicking from relay in battery box

Post by tdogg »

20200525_162659.jpg
20200525_162659.jpg (80.34 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing well, some crazy times with covid-19.

Looking forward to boating season. Except my port engine won't start.

I changed the solenoid on the starter as I thought it was the issue due to the following:

1) using switch at helm, engine wouldn't start, starter wouldn't engage, the beeping would just go silent, if held too long the breaker on the panel would release and I'd have to wait 5 min to reset the switch

2) if I jumped the solenoid with the helm switch on, it would start

Unfortunately, with the new solenoid in, it still won't engage the starter. And now the relay (see picture) in the battery box clicks when I jump the solenoid and the starter doesn't engage.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I'm stuck, and want to get out to enjoy isolation on the water.

Cheers,

T-Dogg
1987 Trojan F36 Tri-Cabin
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: Engine won't start - clicking from relay in battery box

Post by prowlersfish »

That solenoid/relay is for the system that jumps the batteries . The problem may have been the neutral safety switch . But now it sounds like you have a starter solenoid issue too . Bad part or a Install issue ? So likely 2 problems to diagnose and fix .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

prowlersfish wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:15 pm That solenoid/relay is for the system that jumps the batteries . The problem may have been the neutral safety switch . But now it sounds like you have a starter solenoid issue too . Bad part or a Install issue ? So likely 2 problems to diagnose and fix .
The relay/solenoid in the battery box clicks when I jump the starter Solenoid. So if the neutral safety is faulty, the starter solenoid won't start, but if I jump it use to turn over and keep going. How would I test the safety switch?
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Never seen (heard?) a clicking relay that was not due to low voltage. Don't just check battery voltage, check connections for continuity. Also, check voltage at starter when cranking.

If u wanna check the neutral switch, pop the cover off the shift lever box. There should be a switch there according to Google. Which I think is funny. The neutral start switch outta be on the tranny. Three Mile Island disaster was caused by signal to close the valve also being the same signal that said " valve closed". Well, signal to close valve doesn't mean the valve IS closed. But I digress.

Take one wire off the switch. Check continuity when in neutral, and when not.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Its normal for a relay to click when activated . When turned on or off you may hear a click . Am I understanding that it would start jumped at the starter solenoid it would start then you replaced it and no longer does ? The solenoid is on the starter . You also may have a starter relay on the engine . ( you never said what engine) Did you look at wiring diagram ? Like P-Dogg said Low voltage could cause issues .

The neutral switch can be on the shifter or the transmission . Most are on the transmission in inboard use .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Did you check the voltage at the starter ? When trying to crank ? Again also check your install of the solenoid since you could jump it before .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

prowlersfish wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 6:38 am "Am I understanding that it would start jumped at the starter solenoid it would start then you replaced it and no longer does ?"
Yes you are correct.

I'll be checking for low voltage today.

For the neutral safety, would the engine start and continue to run when I jump the starter? Trying to figure out if I can reduce the number of possible issues
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

Back to your OP first:

By "clicking," do you mean "click," or "click click click click click?" I think you've got Prowlersfish confused......

As for the neutral switch question, you've got a wiring diagram, right? I pulled mine out. Looks like all the neutral switch does is prevent starting solenoid from engaging. Think of it as an "and" gate or switch. Ignition AND neutral must pass current for relay to engage. Thus, if you hot wire the starter and get it to turn over and run, it should stay running when you remove power from the starter irrespective of condition of neutral start switch.

Pro Tip: if potential for making electrical sparks around a gas engine exists, tightly cover end of wire under a rag to prevent loud noises and fire in the wrong place.

20200527_213844.jpg
20200527_213844.jpg (85.03 KiB) Viewed 5133 times
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

P-Dogg wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:00 pm Back to your OP first:

By "clicking," do you mean "click," or "click click click click click?" I think you've got Prowlersfish confused......

As for the neutral switch question, you've got a wiring diagram, right? I pulled mine out. Looks like all the neutral switch does is prevent starting solenoid from engaging. Think of it as an "and" gate or switch. Ignition AND neutral must pass current for relay to engage. Thus, if you hot wire the starter and get it to turn over and run, it should stay running when you remove power from the starter irrespective of condition of neutral start switch.

Pro Tip: if potential for making electrical sparks around a gas engine exists, tightly cover end of wire under a rag to prevent loud noises and fire in the wrong place.

20200527_213844.jpg
Correct on the neutral safety switch . Perhaps I am or am not the one confused :shock: on the clicking ? :) But a very good question as it can be taken both ways . I took it as a click each time not as multiple clicking while holding .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mrrudely
Sporadic User

Post by mrrudely »

I'm a little late to this conversation but for what it's worth I had an intermittent starting problem with
my starboard engine
I found the neutral safety switch (at the tranny) had a loose wire
I removed it and found it was faulty as well
Waiting for new switch to arrive
Months earlier we replaced the starter motor because of the same symptoms (intermittent starting problem)
may have been the safety switch all along, OUCH!
10 meter mid cabin
tdogg

Post by tdogg »

prowlersfish wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:55 pm
P-Dogg wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:00 pm Back to your OP first:

20200527_213844.jpg
Correct on the neutral safety switch . Perhaps I am or am not the one confused :shock: on the clicking ? :) But a very good question as it can be taken both ways . I took it as a click each time not as multiple clicking while holding .