Slow leak in bilge, 1987 11 Meter Express

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

themickeyd

Slow leak in bilge, 1987 11 Meter Express

Post by themickeyd »

Over the last few months we have found our main engine room bilge collecting water from someplace. The water is slow rising requiring us to drain it every 2-3 months. I first thought it could be the shaft packings but they are dripless and the adsorbent pads aren't wet. So am I looking at a through hull leak? Any suggestions appreciated.

Ron McDonald
Puget Sound
RWS
Ultimate User

Re: Slow leak in bilge, 1987 11 Meter Express

Post by RWS »

are you sure its seawater and not rainwater finding a pathway into your bilge?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
P-Dogg
Active User
Location: Near Baltimorgue, Murderland, where they prove every day that gun control doesn't work.

Post by P-Dogg »

RWS wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:57 am are you sure its seawater and not rainwater finding a pathway into your bilge?

RWS
Vents will let in air AND water. Not knowing ur setup, ill add condensation.

And what do you mean its slowly rising, requiring you to drain it? Do the bilge pumps not handle it? You'll get better answers if you provide more info specific to your situation.
I needed a less expensive hobby, so I bought a boat!
themickeyd

Post by themickeyd »

I'm not sure if it's sea water or rain, unfortunately the bilge isn't clean enough to take a sip to see. I took about 2 or so months to get to the point that we needed to empty it, and yes, I need to replace the bilge pump in this area. While there has always been some water in this bilge since I bought the boat, it has been increasing since the rainy season started so it may be coming in the vents. I have found trace amounts of water on the top of the gas tank and have thought it may be coming in via the cockpit.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Vents, possibly

more likely the deck hatches and caulked seams

Suggest you make the bilge pumps a priority

Most boats sink............................ at the dock

You likely have 3 bilge pumps on that boat, all set up to evacuate water from distinct areas

The earlier Internationals also featured BILGE ALARMS, tied to the horn - don't know if yours is so equipped

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
themickeyd

Post by themickeyd »

Thanks all for the input. The bilge pump is on the priority list already with the Mechanic coming to look at it as well as setting up the bilge filter at the same time. The other 2 pumps are working fine. I don't believe the bilge pumps have alarms on this boat.
themickeyd

Post by themickeyd »

Thanks all for the input. The bilge pump is on the priority list already with the Mechanic coming to look at it as well as setting up the bilge filter at the same time. The other 2 pumps are working fine. I don't believe the bilge pumps have alarms on this boat.
davescarrs
Sporadic User

Post by davescarrs »

I once had some water collecting on my 10 meter. It was nose heavy and collected in the bow first. I found that the strut backing plate was letting some water in. The through hull bolts needed to be resealed.