12 meter Trojann 4 sale

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Was that an Apology? Albeit, somewhat misdirected.
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Hey guys,

Remember, the boats y'all are discussing here are over 20 years old!
Who is going to buy a 20+ year old boat?

It's a different demographic than someone considering a 6 year old Searay.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

The 12 meter was a very popular boat and sold well.

By the way, it is my understanding (but not a fact) tha he 12 meter features a tunnel hull.

It isalso my understanding that this feature made her a bit less manuaverable than other Interntionals at the dock and may have created other issues or compromises with the delta-conic hull design.

This is just heresay I am repeating FWIW.

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Post by JuiceClark »

The Carver takeover really confused a lot of people and forever ruined the Trojan name - as we all know. Here, we see the confusion in estimating the value of a Carver built 12 meter express and the very beautifully designed and well-built 12 meter sportfish from the 1980s.

The confusion here is the great advantage for those of us who know what we're doing. Carver ruining the brand name created incredible bargains for Trojan enthusiasts. I've actually met people who were recommended to purchase a Trojan, bought one made by Carver then wondered why all their friends gave them such a terrible recommendation!

The ol' 12 meter sportfish design is a nice, nice machine. The fact that you can buy one for the same or less than a piece of crap made 10 years later is the discount boaters receive for taking the time to research and know what they're doing.

Not a good deal:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999/Tr ... 2202/Italy

Worth the money:
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1988/Tr ... ted-States

a dealio yo': (has twins not "single diesel")
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 39304&url=

and:

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... =1871&url=
Peter
Moderate User

Post by Peter »

OK..that's it...I can't take it anymore.....I'm takeing my ball and going home.....
ChriswUFgator

Post by ChriswUFgator »

jimbo36 wrote:Was that an Apology? Albeit, somewhat misdirected.
Lol. It's kind of a hybrid apology. I feel bad for the way I phrased it, and I certainly am sorry if I offended anyone. But at the same time, I know I'm not off base with my pricing comments. I think he's going to have to adjust the price significantly in order to account for the fact that his boat is only trading at a $10k or $15k discount to identical boats in the same price range that aren't damaged, and that's before you take into account that most brokerage boats are easily 20% negotiable. If you factor that in, then his is priced at or above what you can get a nice undamaged one for.

We can go back and forth about it all day, but it still makes no economic sense to buy that one instead of any of the multiple other listings available. I posted a pile of them in this thread, and now JuiceClark just came up with two more 12M's that look really nice, and are asking $74k and $89k, respectively. And neither of them appear to be 'projects'. So I'm sorry if I offended anyone with how I phrased things, but hey, I don't really think I'm wrong either.
Last edited by ChriswUFgator on Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChriswUFgator

Post by ChriswUFgator »

JuiceClark wrote: a dealio yo': (has twins not "single diesel")
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 39304&url=
That has got to be one of the prettiest boats I've ever seen. Love the dark blue hull.

As a side note, yours certainly isn't too shabby either. I just ran across it online the other day and looked at the pics, very nice boat! The teak & holly really makes the interior 'pop'.
reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

Speaking of 20 year old boats and not buying one. I figure the hulls on the older boat are really good. I am not so sure of the hulls of the newer ones. Remember this the new ones have "Value Engineering" in them. The hulls are made thinner because they found out they did not need all that glass. There are so many things to look at when buying a boat that most people don't realize what they bought until after the sale.
A boat owner who now goes and looks at a boat will look at things that another person will over look. Cosmetics is one thing, a person needs to look at the guts and see what the boat is really like.
We had a boat that we really liked the inside and it was roomy. But on the water it was not good at taking any waves. When I go to a boat show I step on the boat to see if it rocks or just watch it in the slip and see how much rocking it does. Sure they all rock but some a lot more than others.
The older trojan 11 meters I know do not rock mush when you step on them.
Fishing Chesapeake Bay and Off Shore Virginia.
1988 11 meter Trojan International 450 HP 671TI Detroit Diesels
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

RWS wrote:The 12 meter was a very popular boat and sold well.

By the way, it is my understanding (but not a fact) tha he 12 meter features a tunnel hull.

It isalso my understanding that this feature made her a bit less manuaverable than other Interntionals at the dock and may have created other issues or compromises with the delta-conic hull design.

This is just heresay I am repeating FWIW.

RWS
Hello all...
I have been a long time Trojan owner and just wanted to say that my 12 Meter MY does not have a tunnel hull. I looked at numerous 12 Meter boats both MotorYacht and Convertible and none of the ones that I have seen had a tunnel hull.
My 12 Meter's hull is also not cored as I have seen posted in numerous places on the net. It seems to be of the same construction as my 85 10 Meter and 86 11 Meter was.
Jerry
jaws

Post by jaws »

WOW. That was going back and forth. I must say you guys really know your stuff. I will try to post some pics if anyone can give me some help to do it. The boat is not a rat. I put some money into it but i am getting out of boating. For different reasons. I brought the boat back from NJ 2 years ago and it ran great all the way back to Boston harbor. It has a delta conicle hull and was built by Trojan under the watchfull eye of Bertram. I will see if i can post some pics tuesday. If anyone has any questions they can call me 1-603-236-2164. I do not have this listed with a broker. And i paid aolt more than 65,000.
jimbo36
Moderate User

Post by jimbo36 »

Jaws!! I am glad to see you post again. Love to see pics. Jimbo36.