Fuel pump vent question F25 express

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dietwrite

Fuel pump vent question F25 express

Post by dietwrite »

I am concerned that someone may have installed an automotive fuel pump on the Trojan I purchased recently.

I was under the impression that on the fuel pump there would be a vent to the carburetor. But there isn't any fitting for a hose at all on this fuel pump.

The carburetor flame arrestor does have a fitting for a vent hose. But there's nothing attached to it! Isn't this the spot something should connect from the carb. to the fuel pump?!

Help! Am I looking in the wrong place for the vent?
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

dietwrite Posted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am concerned that someone may have installed an automotive fuel pump on the Trojan I purchased recently.

I was under the impression that on the fuel pump there would be a vent to the carburetor. But there isn't any fitting for a hose at all on this fuel pump.
You are correct in thinking that a marine fuel pump has a vent fitting on it. You probably have an automotive fuel pump. The fitting on a marine fuel pump is used to dump fuel into the carburetor instead of dumping into the bilge in the event that the diaphram in the fuel pump ruptures.

You should replace the pump with a marine pump.
Last edited by gjrylands on Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
mr elevman
Moderate User

Post by mr elevman »

depends on the age bolth of my 318s had old none vented fuel pumps when i removed them i looked up the nums and thay were marine fulel pumps
Coralkong
Sporadic User

Post by Coralkong »

I think it HAS to have a vent tube on it.

If the diaphram fails, where else would the fuel go?
The bilge?

You can buy marine rated fuel pumps on Ebay for cheap.
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

The marine fuel pumps also have a fitting that is on the opposite side of the diaphram for the installation of a glass bowl. If the glass bowl gets fuel in it, the diaphram is leaking.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
dietwrite

Post by dietwrite »

Thanks very much for the advice. We'll try to find numbers on the part...as it does look old and original. This was really helpful.