Advice on pricing a Trojan for sale

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

dietwrite

Advice on pricing a Trojan for sale

Post by dietwrite »

With heavy hearts, my husband and I have decided to sell our Trojan. Essentially, the Trojan made us realize just how much we enjoy hanging out in a cabin cruiser...which prompted us to dream bigger. We now have a goal of motoring down the Tom-Tenn River and TomBigbee into the intercoastal waterway, and knew we'd prefer a newer larger boat for this adventure. So, we have chosen a new boat and are in the process of purchasing it.

Of course things with boats are always complicated, aren't they? We have to sell the Trojan quickly to make room in our boat slip. I ran a NADA pricecheck for the boat. Do you all feel NADA rates are a good measure when selling? Of course for fast selling I understand I'll need to ask rock bottom price, but it's difficult to determine an appropriate "rock bottom" price. I'm going to post to the Trojan site as soon as I can figure out the picture upload. Any suggestions?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

This is great time to buy and a poor time to sell . Nada can be a guide but I have seen it way off to the real world hi and low . look in the paper and the boat trader to see what like boats are going for . Good luck

What is the new boat ? gas or diesel ? tell us more ( please )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
ferg00

Post by ferg00 »

What is the trojan that your selling?
ready123
Ultimate User

Re: Advice on pricing a Trojan for sale

Post by ready123 »

dietwrite wrote:Of course things with boats are always complicated, aren't they? We have to sell the Trojan quickly to make room in our boat slip.
Quickly in this market??... Put it out for the lowest $$ you will take if you want speed. If it is not gone by Spring then take another 5K off.
Once you share details of the model, year and condition... what work is needed etc, then we can give price suggestions.
To see what is for sale now look here:
http://www.boats.com/boats/search/boats ... 00&pbsint=

Looks like $6000 might be a good price point.

My process is always to sell before I buy... I know too many people with 2/3 boats while they only use one, because they don't want to sell it for what the buyers are willing to pay.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
dietwrite

Post by dietwrite »

It's a 1978 Trojan Express Cruiser-25 ft. It has some things really going for it...a custom full enclosure, excellent interior, always kept in fresh water and covered, runs great, and everything works, stringers look good and solid, etc. It's definitely not a "project boat." The problem is it does need some work, but I guess that's to be expected for a 30 year old boat. I have no idea when it had the last bottom job, we're almost certain it needs a new alternator, we think the gaskets on the carburetor have gotten porus over the years so we're trying to figure out what to do on that, and the teak swim platform has been damaged on one end. And there's no trailer. So that's why I'm struggling with a price. (Actually, I just remembered that the previous owner posted pictures of it on this site. Those pictures were taken before I updated the cabin decor, but that still gives a good idea of what it looks like. It's on the trojan boat pictures area and it's the one called the Slo N- Ezy.
dietwrite

More details

Post by dietwrite »

I'm sorry, I just realized others asked more details.

It's a model 253. 125 hp 318 Chrysler motor. about a 50 gallon gas fuel tank, I think about 1200 hours, 25 gallon holding tank, updated bridge upholstry, flush toilet in the head, 9.6 beam, lots of room and light inside., has remote control radio, gps, etc...the usual. Nice wood accents. It looks like a bench was added in the back for extra seating.

I seriously might put it on ebay. The previous owner expessed interest, but he has moved across the country. $6,000 probably would be a good price point, but I'd take less than that just to get out from under paying two slip fees. The good news is that somebody could leave it here, as there are plenty of slips available, until they could arrange to move it. (We've already discovered it is not easy to find a used boat trailer for transporting boats like this.)
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

Ms. D .... did you decide to go with the Maxum you were originally looking at? Good luck with your sale ....
Will - LSP
1976 F32 "Donegal"
1985 10 Meter "Whakanui"
Hog Pen Creek
Middle River, Md
dietwrite

I knew someone was going to ask that question!

Post by dietwrite »

Weeeellllll..... yes :oops:

The sale isn't complete yet...we're going to get it surveyed. Trust me, this was a HARD decision. We would have rather kept the Trojan, but on the lake we are located on, there just aren't other boats like this and no one knows how to work on them. We know we'll still have repairs with the new boat, but at least we can call the mechanic :roll:
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

TRADER! Just kiddin'...sorry to hear you're giving up a legend boat. Good luck with the sale and think of her whenever you going down a creek and you spot those unmistakeable good looking Trojan lines! :D

Your phrase on the subject of a few weeks ago, struck me, but I wish you well! :D

"Maxum negatives:
The finish is faded, and the cabin is cramped with less width, headroom, and forward berth room. It seemed dark inside with few windows. Being on it made us miss the wood effects and special feel of the Trojan.

SO
The 2 biggest reasons for picking the Trojan--
-it's unique. In the area we live in, it's as unique as they come. On a lake in Arkansas, you may only get one chance to own a boat like this. The Maxum is more of a cookie cutter boat and there will always be such boats around should the Trojan turn out to be more of a project than we bargained for.
-But the #1 reason: if wifey ain't happy, nobody's happy!"
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
dietwrite

It's for sale!

Post by dietwrite »

We are officially putting our Trojan up for sale today! Due to the complications posed by transporting a boat with a 9.5 beam (and the fact that there probably won't be potential buyers in Arkansas) we are asking just $5,000. If you know anyone interested in a 25' 1977 Cruiser, please let them know. She needs some work, but nothing serious. The kind of stuff to be expected with a 30 year old boat. I'm going to try to post pics on this site, on internetboats and maybe ebay, maybe craigslist.
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

make sure you've got the beam correct-I believe it's 9'4"-the width limit is probably 10' (I believe most states' max width is 10')-so the buyer probably does not have to have a permit.
dietwrite

That's right- 9 ft 4in!

Post by dietwrite »

oops, my bad! I wonder if that means you don't have to get a permit to tow. That might make it easier to sell.
chumwithabottleofrum
Sporadic User

Post by chumwithabottleofrum »

check with your DOT-from a quick glance on the Arkansas DOT website (I think that's where your post said you are from) it says max width is 8'6"-so it may need a permit, but they are probably relatively inexpensive.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Quick Sale in this market will be VERY tough ... especially in Arkansas.

Wish you lived here - my neighbor would buy it!

How long did you own the boat - 3 months? You should give it a shot - perhaps you don't know what you want yet at all ...
Last edited by rossjo on Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Reely Hall'n

Post by Reely Hall'n »

I don't know if you have put your Trojan up for sale or not but the best way to price any thing whether it is a boat or a house or a car is to find comparables. People like to believe they are paying a fair price. The best way to show them is to search every "boat for sale" web sight you can find and print off every Trojan 25 footer that has similer items and features as yours. boatrader.com is a great sight.. Good luck

My opinion is $4500 to $5500

Reely Hall'n
Don
1977 F30 w/twin 233 Merc Cruisers