trojan 25'

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

esgbalt

trojan 25'

Post by esgbalt »

hey

Guys and Gals
my name is Eric and i am new to this site. i just aquired a 25' trojan 1976 it has a 225 chrysler in it. i was thinking of going 2 diff ways on it. and i figured i would ask a couple of pros before i did it.

1. restore the boat to it original self it needs a new floor and bulk head where the steering goes

2. cut the top off of it and make it into a center console i saw one guy that had did it and it looked really good he had it on a trailer and everything this is something i have really been considering but i do not want to make the boat useless because it sits out of the water to high
but i am also on the bay alot fishing so siting high has its advatages

what do you guys think i should do?
does anyone have any pics of a boat they made into a center console?
or know where i can find pics?
landandtimber

Post by landandtimber »

Eric,
I have an F26 and have considered making it into an open fisherman. One thing I would consider is potential issues with the structural integrity of the hull when you take away all that topside fiberglass, hopefully someone on here will have some input on that. I have seen a picture of the center console conversion on a 25 somewhere before but couldn't say where.

I personally am staying with the original setup for a while because I don't have time or money to take on such a conversion, and I have come to really appreciate the more stock look of the Trojan. I would say get to know your new boat before you get out the saw.
1982 Trojan F-26 Hardtop

350 Mag Mercruiser Block, Mercruiser 260 fuel and electronics.
Aviso Grille

Post by Aviso Grille »

Eric

Restore it, it will be a looker...
I have one and just finished a complete floor from the ground up, replaced my Ex Manifolds, replaced all the Bright and I am in the process of doing the inside.

I am replacing all of the ugly vinyl with wood, new inside lamps, stove.

And all new electronics, after going to the Boat Show in Cleveland and I compared to the new 26 to 33ft, I have more space, its a stronger boat and for thousands of dollars less...

Next year due to space we are doing the paint, Hunter Green, Gold Waterline and Red for teh bottom...

FIX HER UP.....

Ok that's it I'm off the Soap Box...
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

I also agree that the construction of the Trojan is not suitable for removal of the top deck. Trojan hull sides have no rigid strength to support themselves and rely on the top cap effect to basically hold them up. Without the top cap they would tend to lay flat like the hull.
An easy way to see this is to look at the sides... they are just layers of glass with no coring like any other centre console design, whaler etc:

So I would say no can do!
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
randyp
Active User

Post by randyp »

Why take a perfect cruiser and try to turn it into a fisher? Restore it or sell it and buy a center console for fishing. That big-ass cockpit area on the F-25 and F-26 are still perfect for fishing, but you're right about high freeboard.
Randy P
1977 F-26 HT
"Blue Heron"
capt ralph

to do or not to do

Post by capt ralph »

if trojan wanted to make center consoles they would have made them.you dont want to have a made up trojan,first resale value will not be as good.also people who love trojans will not buy it when you want to sell it.i would restore it to its original state.this is only my semi professional opinion
capt christopher bouchard
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

After you catch a few fish from that big back deck and spend a few weekends on the anchor with her you'll learn to love her the way she is. Just like a woman, if you try to change her you end up creating way too many unforseen problems. Just enjoy her for what she is.
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
dietwrite

just curious

Post by dietwrite »

I'm just curious...did you buy this boat specifically because you wanted to fix it up? I totally understand the "project boat" idea. I'm just asking becasue I wondered if you're restoring for the fun of it, or restoring because you want the end product of a nicer Trojan 25'. Shameless advertisement here... :oops: we have one for sale on ebay for $4900 that doesn't really need fixing up...just needs typical maintence for a 30 year old boat. Of course, I know lots of folks love restoring these great boats. It just sounds like your boat needs to be in the hands of one of those folks...and perhaps you are one of those...I just wondered what your intent was. (Sorry for the shameless advertisement!)
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

What better place to sell your Trojan boat than on a Trojan boat site. Did you put it in the "boats for sale" list on this site?
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Re: to do or not to do

Post by prowlersfish »

capt ralph wrote:if trojan wanted to make center consoles they would have made them.you dont want to have a made up trojan,first resale value will not be as good.also people who love trojans will not buy it when you want to sell it.i would restore it to its original state.this is only my semi professional opinion

They did , in fact they made a 25 footer.

Restore the boat IMO
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
dietwrite

Advertising on Trojan site

Post by dietwrite »

I couldn't figure out the price on the Trojan site...of course I could email the person in charge, but was in a hurry, as we're about to be in a position of paying for two slip rentals if we don't sell in about 1 month!

And, I am confused as to why no one is advertising there? I feared no one would look, since it appears no one is advertising there...? Suggestions would be appreciated.
wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

Maybe they are just selling so fast that they're not on long enough to see. :lol: lol
cookscomp

Post by cookscomp »

No expert but... You can always buy a center console. There are only so many old Trojans left. I'd be suprised to see any posters here that will recommend changing one. Its a good boat for what it is.
"Knot So Fast" 1975 F-26 Illinois River
ready123
Ultimate User

Re: Advertising on Trojan site

Post by ready123 »

dietwrite wrote:I couldn't figure out the price on the Trojan site...of course I could email the person in charge, but was in a hurry, as we're about to be in a position of paying for two slip rentals if we don't sell in about 1 month!.
Why not haul it, would that not save $$?
Expecting to sell it quickly in this economy may be unrealistic... especially as the price range being low puts it directly in the group of people who may be suffereing at this time or less likely to spend on recreation.
I think you need to think about how to store it as cheaply as possible because I would not expect it to go quickly.
And, I am confused as to why no one is advertising there? I feared no one would look, since it appears no one is advertising there...? Suggestions would be appreciated.
Because this is a site for Trojan owners.... not buy & sell. I wouldn't try to sell any thing here unless it were Trojan parts....

Look at the obvious sites to sell/buy a boat:
craigslist, ebay and boats.com which I think is likely the best place for a small low priced boat.
Good luck with trying to sell it but make a plan B in case it does not move in that month.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You can post it for sale for free here go to the main trojanboats.net page