Dining Table Top.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

reelfishin
Moderate User

Dining Table Top.

Post by reelfishin »

My son has a 11 meter Trojan and wants me to make a new top for the dining table. Well first let me say I told him I could make one. ( you know how that goes ) Anyway I do woodworking and now am retired so a project like this would be fun to do. The one he has cannot not be used to sleep on , it is not strong enough for that. We have a separate piece that I made for him for that purpose. He wants to get rid of both pieces and have only one that can be used for both purposes.
Now here is the kicker, He wants it to look like the new ones you see at boat shows or atleast look similar to them. I am trying to decide on how I am going to make it. It is odd shaped but that is not a problem.
What I am concerned with is what material I should use. I am thinking of using two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood for a starter and covering them with a top of some sort? Not decided on that yet. I also have to decide if I want a trim exposed around the table or let the top piece cover it. I liket the exposed idea.
Lots of decisions but I bet I get it done sooner or later.
If you have some suggestions , I am all ears.
Fishing Chesapeake Bay and Off Shore Virginia.
1988 11 meter Trojan International 450 HP 671TI Detroit Diesels
smooth250

Post by smooth250 »

I refinished my top with 1/4" solid surface corion by just cutting off a 1/4" off the perimeter and laminating the existing top. works and looks great. You can't even tell the 1/4" in height when your sleeping on it.
JuiceClark
Moderate User

Post by JuiceClark »

You guys do stuff right. I'm sorry to say I just glued a marine map to the table and poured that clear, bar-top epoxy all over it. I was gonna be pretty good until my wife opened the garage door while it was curing and about 30 bugs got stuck in it. So, I just left it like that and put it back on the boat. Now, whenever my wife gives me a hard time I just remind her of the buggy table on the boat!

boaty8

Post by boaty8 »

Its look like special train. I am looking for a dining table for home
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

On my 10m, I just used the old table as a template and made it out of solid teak. I probably could have done plywood with a teak veneer but didn't want to deal with the "edge" problem as well.

Plus, I never have to worry about sanding and refinishing... I could do that 50 times.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
297Elegante
Sporadic User

Post by 297Elegante »

Mines not a Trojan, but it's original to the boat and weighs a good 75 lbs. it's laminated ply, with a solid wood frame and solid wood trim around the edges. It's not quite a rectangle but close. I varnished and epoxied it which has held up well.

Boat: Silverton 34C T/270s, Gen
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

I just got my f26 galley table back , its looks great but I cant stand the weight of it , if it didnt look so pretty I would have left it out of the boat.
BlueBelle

Post by BlueBelle »

The 11M table top is odd shaped. I cut mine down 1/4 inch around the perimeter and laminated the top and sides with corian. The seams are invisible and it came out great. It is heavy though.
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI