Jumped up to an F-30

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Mikesboatsupply

Jumped up to an F-30

Post by Mikesboatsupply »

Just made the jump from an f-26 to an F-30 over the weekend. I loved my f-26 but really wanted to get into the dual engines for various personal reasons but at the same token have been waiting for the right price for a while now.

What I found was a 1974 F30 with flybridge and twin 318's. Boat has been dry for a while now, last in the water 5 years ago. That said she is in remarkably good condition for having sat that long. She has been at a marina under wrap in the winter months and in a very large indoor show room in the summers. Hoping to get some advice as far as what to look for problem wise.

Other than needing some cleaning from sitting all winter she needs a good freshening before she goes into the water. The price was great on this boat and I had to jump before I did all my homework or risk losing her. I have approximately two weeks to prep her for the water before the storage for the winter is up and she has to be moved. Currently the boat is located about 45 mins by water from her future slip. I spent the weekend starting my lists and doing my preliminary check over.

Here is where I stand at this point

I have already changed the oil, checked the fuel condition, tanks were full and have held up surprisingly well. Transfered out about half of it into my truck and filled it back up with premium. Checked over the ignition and all is good. After oiling up the cylinders and checking over the electrical system and disabling the waterpumps she fired up rather easily and purrs out of the water.

I am already planning on new belts, new water impellers, spark plugs, cap rotor and wires were all new 5 years ago when she was pulled out and are still in excellent condition.

I am currently chasing some issues in the electrical system but otherwise she seems to be pretty darn solid. What I am worried about are things I might not think of in this boat in my rush to prep it. I can pull her again once I get her to my slip and do additional work but I want to give myself the best odds of getting there without a tow boat :lol:

Anyway if you have any advice let me know. Oh and also are the original fuel filters on these any good or would you recommend updating to the newer style water seperators. I did this on my F26 but it was more because of the condition of the housing than anything else.

Thanks!
Reely Hall'n

Post by Reely Hall'n »

Sounds like you are on the right track. I would recomend the newer water seperators. As far as electrical, what kind of problems? How do the trany's shift? Any picures?
Don
1977 F30 w/twin 233 Merc Cruisers
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

congrats on your new boat,
seems your on the right track as far as checking and re servicing the engines,
I have an F31 and basically did and am doing the same thing,
the small stuff can be done, while your in the water, as I am doing ,
I recently replaced all the faucets, fresh water pump , toilet, water heater, etc,, etc, while I was in the water,
Im currently doing the carpet and freshening up the woodwork etc
one thing I can rec, is just make sure all the thru hull stuff is ok before launching, you know bilge pumps etc,,, you might want to run a hose in the bilge area to check for possilbe leaks prior to putting her in, but besides that , seems your on the right track, Im sure alot of guys here will give you some more good advice
mine was already in the water when I bought, so I still havent hauled it yet,
but Im doing a little something every time I go to the marina,
good luck with it and enjoy the summer,,,,
1983 10 meter express
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

congrats also ,The F30 is a fine boat. All good advice given above watch th shaft and rudder packing be ready to tigten up / or repack an liltle leaking is to be expected . I would worry some what about the old fuel . carry extra fillters with you . extra points spend the money on sea tow / tow boat us . so if you do have proplems ( good to have anyway ) . you may want to check and or replace the water pump implers, the could be dry rotted .

Good luck and ENJOY !!!
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
wet wonder

Post by wet wonder »

Change impellers and ensure that you are getting proper water flow at idle and increasing flow at higher rpms. I think that's a raw water system right? Some rust could get knocked around in the cooling chambers and risers from being idle so put a little time into making sure the system is working right.
wet wonder

Post by wet wonder »

Change impellers and ensure that you are getting proper water flow at idle and increasing flow at higher rpms. I think that's a raw water system right? Some rust could get knocked around in the cooling chambers and risers from being idle so put a little time into making sure the system is working right.
Mikesboatsupply

Working on pics :)

Water impellers are on the way, calling on water seps today. I am a little worried about the old fuel too, but as I stated it was surprisingly fresh. Normally I would have expected to suck out some pretty nasty stuff but it is not much worse than what comes out of a pump, normally I wouldnt gamble on it but with how clean it is and with how much is in the tanks I am going to risk it. I am not so much worried about the cost of refilling as I am the hassle of sucking it all out while she is on stands and carting it all away.

Debating on ordering carb kits and doing the carbs on this as well before she goes in. I have a spare rebuilt carb from my F-26 left over that I am considering just bringing along in case of problems and then if the carbs need servicing doing it after I have burned this batch of fuel through her.

Electrical problems are minor. A lot of it is probably just unfamiliarity with the boat. That said it has two battery shutoff systems, and three batteries so I am figuring out what is run to what. Also I have a dead fuel gauge, one tank always reads empty so I have some work to do there. Bilges are in good working order but I am probably going to put in new pumps before she splashes just so I can feel secure about it. I have no running or anchor lights, switch is working I have power in and out from it but no lights, that said It is probably either bulbs or corrosion in the sockets but it has been raining since i bought her so I have been focusing on issues under the top and in the hull lol so I can stay dry. I have a few other items not working in the electrical but nothing major just accessories. I have hopes of getting back up to her tonight and doing a wiring map of her so I know what the last owner did. So far I can say he loved stereo equipment............4 amps so far. Also has a very old autopilot system that is non functional and a few other items that I am going to get pulled, as well as installing new equipment.

As for the tow boat membership, already done lol. I am friends with the local tow boat service and even though I am a marine mechanic I believe its pretty good to have, towing without the membership is expensive and the freshwater memberships are amazingly cheap. I also am working with my insurance agent to get her fully covered today hopefully.

So new questions too. Has anyone had any luck with mounting a transducer on the transom of this boat? I know on my F-26 it never worked well but I have a humminbird side imaging unit and It has to be mounted on the transom or thru hull, you cant mount it in hull. I am waiting to hear back from one of my vendors about the thru hull unit at this time but I am not sure on it yet.

Also noticed when I ran her yesterday for a few moments that one of the transmissions is shifting fussy. Some of it I think is cable adjustment it is slightly off as far as the location of forward neutral and reverse from the other control. Also the shaft is making a pretty good howl even at idle. I am not an expert on Inboards, most of my work involves I/O's and Outboards. I know they make some noise but how much noise is too much. I would rather do any shaft work now rather than later.....also pulling the wheels today to send in to be balanced etc.

Well thats probably enough rambling for now.....thanks guys!
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

If the boat is out of the water and you put it in gear it is going to howl like crazy as it needs water to help lubricate the cutlass bearings. Don't do that for too long as you can score the bearing and the shaft.
Safari

Post by Safari »

If your old gas was 5 yrs old (mtbe) and you drained half- then refilled with premium (ethanol), you should be prepared for some fuel problems. Even with Racors, the sludge created will push through the filters and stop your engines.
Bill

1986 F36 Crusader 454s
wvorris@hotmail.com
kevin babineau
Moderate User

Post by kevin babineau »

fuel is like a woman sometimes it treats u well and sometimes it dont...lol..i had a friend who just wont get a new tank or take it to a pro....the tank has varnish and hes taken it out and cleaned it but its still in there....from bounce in the waves it cleanes the tank and passes right thru the racor and clogges the fuel filter in the carb....ever try to clean a carb filter in a 24' open boat in a 8' swells in boston harbor traffic? can u spell sea sick? lol i dont want to scare u off....cross ur fingers and give it a try
Mikesboatsupply

Yeah I relate to what you are saying there. Tanks were pulled and cleaned the season before she was put up due to some issues the owner had with sludge. Scoped and sampled the tanks and they are very very clean inside. Expecting some issues but thinking I might just get lucky as far as major clogging. Its not too big of a deal. Worst case I am cleaning carbs, best case she runs decent.
Dan Faith
Sporadic User

Post by Dan Faith »

First electrical connections. DC current especially in a boat is subject to corrosion. All of my connections and lights have been coated with Penetrox is stops moisture and corrosion (an electriction put me on to this it's made for aluminum and works really well) Here is the link
http://www.dxengineering.com/Parts.asp? ... No=DXE-P8A

I have install a thru hull in my 30' no problem it is solid fiberglass just keep it out of the turbulance from the props and mount level to the bottom. I installed mine just in from of the props and followed the instructions with the unit.
Dan Faith
Toy Box

Trojan F32
Trojan 30' sport fisherman
Sea Ray 17'
Beach Craft Bonanza N35
Corvette