DOGS AND BOATING....A NATURAL COMBINATION

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

DOGS AND BOATING....A NATURAL COMBINATION

Post by aaronbocknek »

well as the season is now in full swing, maccabee, our boston terrier has made quite the name for himself at parkside marina in middle river. he has been going to the boat with me now for about 3 weeks and has already mastered the fine art of visiting other people and their dogs. one of his favorite buddies is a year old yellow lab named riley that owns a mainship 390. maccabee and riley became fast friends as did i with his owners ed and margarate hill. wonderful people, wonderful boat. maccabee is especially fond of running up to their slip, yelping for ed to open the transom door, as maccabee hops onto the swim platform and makes himself at home on the trawler. he loves to do the 'great circle' route around the wide protected decks, and has even gotten brave enough to venture up the molded fiberglass steps leading up to the fly bridge, making himself at home on the bench seat near the helm. i was checking the bow lines on our f-32 on saturday and from behind i hear the faint 'tip tap' of his paws....... i look around and discover that my boston had managed to climb onto the side deck and follow me up to the bow. how he did this, i will never know, as most of you are aware that the decks of the f-32 are not the widest. when i looked at him, he sat down, tilted his head, ears erect with those big brown eyes looking at me as if to say, ''yeah?, i followed you up here. now what? lets go for a ride!!" ahh for the love of a dog. just wanted to share that with you all.
oh, and if any of you are at parkside marina, and you happen to see a 26 pound boston terrier with a red and black harness wandering around and visiting other people's boats, bring him back to me at slip 117....
thanks.
aaron
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
willietrojan
Moderate User

Post by willietrojan »

Our dog likes to ride up front

WillieTrojan (Owned F32, Willpower in Kinsale, Va)
Spanish Fort, Al

Looking for 33 International
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

Great story Aaron .... I lost my Shepard at the end of last boating season. She had her sea-legs till the end .... so my wife has added 2 additional yorkies to the pack. I haven't had the gang out yet.....maybe this weekend. Wish me luck....hahahahaha
Will - LSP
1976 F32 "Donegal"
1985 10 Meter "Whakanui"
Hog Pen Creek
Middle River, Md
sluggo
Sporadic User

dogs

Post by sluggo »

mine likes to think he is the captain

[img][img]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t106 ... C_0543.jpg[/img]
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

this is so great to hear about other dogs on the boat. parkside has 120 slips and i swear that 90% are dog owners. if they don't own a dog, they are huge dog lovers. dorris down on "A" dock is the defacto dog lady of parkside and always ready to pet and cuddle your pooch and provide a doggie treat or two. she lost her cocker last year and is devastated, but her 'adoptive family' makes her feel needed. the newest addition to the parkside pack is festus, the 11 week old black and white cocker. i want to place a sign on the back of the boat saying, ''this vessel is guarded by an israeli boston terrier. BEWARE if you do not come in peace" and guard the boat he does, especially if i am onboard. for some reason he feels the need to guard me more than phil, but hey, out of the litter of 7, he did come to me and fall asleep in my lap at the tender age of 5 weeks, so who am i to complain. i'm only too happy to have him onboard.
aaron
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

cats are better on boats IMO
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

I have three of these guys, we love em, we take turns bringing them to the boat, sometimes the docks are to hot to bring em, so where looking into getting some dog shoes,,, for em
this is Ottodog Von Stroker IImage[/img]

Imagesome dog shoes,,,,lol
1983 10 meter express
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

My jack Russel likes to ride on the dash, where she can roam thru the window to the front deck and back to the cockpit. Image [/img]Image
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Why is it that all dog lovers think everyone should be a dog lover?? There is nothing that gets my goat faster than stepping in a big pile of warm dog @#$% at the marina and tracking it on the boat before I know I have it. I'll stick with my parrot thank you. He doesn't lick his &!* and then try to lick me in the mouth.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
LSP
Active User

Post by LSP »

Danny ....ain't never had a dog decorate my shoulder :)
Will - LSP
1976 F32 "Donegal"
1985 10 Meter "Whakanui"
Hog Pen Creek
Middle River, Md
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Danny Bailey wrote:Why is it that all dog lovers think everyone should be a dog lover?? There is nothing that gets my goat faster than stepping in a big pile of warm dog @#$% at the marina and tracking it on the boat before I know I have it. I'll stick with my parrot thank you. He doesn't lick his &!* and then try to lick me in the mouth.

I don't have a proplem with dogs at my marina as the owners know to clean up after them or else and you are not alowed to let them roam around. Its called respect for others . sound like you some poor owners IMO
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

Danny, you dont have to read this thread, or comment on it for that matter, I belive if your reading this, you would like dogs, nobody here is asking you to like dogs,its just a thread that a member is sharing with other dog lovers who have boats, ,my marina is very dog friendly and there are lots and lots of dogs there, and not once did I see any dog crap at all anywhere, so I dont know what type of people come to YOUR marina, but where I live, people clean up after their pet, so show some courtesy, and dont read it if it makes you upset. and I have two parrots as well, and I like all animals,
1983 10 meter express
wvernie

Dogs and Boating

Post by wvernie »

We have an 80# female timberwolf that likes to go boating with us, she is well know when she throws her head back and wolf howls at the moon. We have had several comments from other boaters that they knew Seneca was on the boat the night before.She absolutely loves children especially with ketchup( just kidding), she plays well with other children in the campground or marina. I'll try and post some pics of her doing her thing real soon.
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

I don't dislike dogs....it's the denial of some people who own dogs that bother me. I don't for one minute believe that all the dog owners in any marina pick up every time their dog has to poop. If all dog owners were that considerate, there would be no dog arguments. The problem starts when supposedly intelligent humans beome emotionally attached to a dumb animal, and have more consideration for it than they do for their fellow man. I'm sure I'll get blasted for calling your dog a 'dumb' animal, but check him out next time he vomits, and see if he don't go back and eat it. Do you do that? Guglielmo6160 says I'm not being courteous for reading and replying to this post....dog before human again!!! Your 'dog' rights end when it infringes on my rights to walk on sanitary ground and to speak my opinion.
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User

Post by aaronbocknek »

hi danny, i just wanted to share my experience at my particular marina and the joy my dog and other dogs give me, along with the joy and pleasure of boating. if you have a cat, bird, mouse, or what ever brings you joy and peace, your pet is your pet and that's fine. i do not think anyone here will dispute that, nor did i want to imply that i was stepping on anyone's rights. please do not misunderstand my original intent of the thread. parkside marina is very dog friendly as they have 'cleanup stations' located in the walking areas and all the dog owners pick up after their animals. (i always carry my own biodegradable clean up bags on maccabee's leash handle) that is what is so unique about parkside. for us slipholders, especially at parkside, it's the ducks and geese that create the mess on the grassy areas, the docks and the various swim platforms i totally agree with you about owners that do not clean up after their animals, but all the slip holders at parkside do. again, a very unique marina with a unique group of people and animals. i only WISH i could get the dog owners in my neighborhood to do the same. WHY THEY DO NOT CLEAN UP AFTER THEIR PETS IS BEYOND MY COMPREHENSION----that and letting a dog run w/out a leash in a public area near a busy road. as for the intelligence of animals, again, be it dog, cat, bird, whatever, never underestimate them. while i know i am biased about my dog, i have actually watched how maccabee seems to think things through. again, danny, i just wanted to share something special with the gang. i will never apologize for sharing a special moment with this group. and finally, we can all agree to disagree. right?
aaron,phil and maccabee of EVENT HORIZON
aaronbocknek@gmail.com