Electronic Ignition Upgrade 76 f-30

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

reds

Electronic Ignition Upgrade 76 f-30

Post by reds »

Hi Everybody,
I would appreciate any advice on upgrading my strbd. engine to electronic ignition. I am not that excited to do it, but when trying to diagnose the Mercury distributor mounted on the 351w RH, I found that a previous owner had tack welded the mechanical advance plates in place. No kidding. Must not have been able to find the correct springs for the plates. If anyone has any ideas on replacing the springs, and/or centrifugal plates, I would probably prefer that route. I am sure the electronic ignition option is likely a future option, but I have other pressing repair needs that I would like to address. Any feedback would be great. Thanks
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

EVEN WITH ELTIC IGTION YOU STILL NEED THE ADVANCE TO WORK
GET A NEW DIST

PS I AM NOT YELLING CAP LOCKS BUTTN JAMS NEED KEY BOARD
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

:D youi sure you aren't yelling? I bet you stepped in some dog doo and have it squished between your toes!!
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
reds

Post by reds »

I suppose I should have been more clear when I mentioned ignition upgrade. The plan would be to replace the distributor w/ an electronic aftermarket if I can find an opposite (rh) rotation version. If parts (springs) can be had for the original advance plates, that would be better.
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

THE DIST WILL TURN THE SAME WAY . ITS THE SAME PART LH OR RH
JUST LIKE THE OIL PUMP TURNS THE SAME WAY
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

foofer b wrote::D youi sure you aren't yelling? I bet you stepped in some dog doo and have it squished between your toes!!
I GUESS YOU HAVE IT BETWEEN YOUR EARS ? WISE GUY :lol:
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
Mrsluggo

Post by Mrsluggo »

SURE WISH U GUYS WOULD STOP YELLING SOUNDS LIKE MY KIDS
just for fun
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

If you have Mallory distributors go to centuryperformance.com Kits are only $ 60. for the YL distributor. I bought new distributors a few years ago, they're great.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
wet wonder

Post by wet wonder »

I just put in a complete pertronix billet distributor with Ignitor II electronic ignition. Has everything including cap and there is a separate distributo model for each motor with the advance already tuned for the particular motor's curve. $225 at http://www.carshopinc.com
1975 Trojan F-25 Express Hardtop
Mercruiser 351 233hp
12v system - Solar panels 170 watts
Dan Faith
Sporadic User

Post by Dan Faith »

Be very carefull installing electronic car parts in a marine application. I would call to insure they know this is going into an inboard boat and make sure it is spark proof and they know it is marine grade. I looked at your link and did not find a marine section for this company. Look at this site that sells Marine Ignition systems.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/?key ... utor&dds=1
Dan Faith
Toy Box

Trojan F32
Trojan 30' sport fisherman
Sea Ray 17'
Beach Craft Bonanza N35
Corvette
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Dan is 100% correct
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
wet wonder

Post by wet wonder »

It's not a car part. It's a Pertronix marine distributor specifically parted for the Mercruiser 351 Windsor. Who said it was a car distributor?

http://pertronix.carshopinc.com/product ... 90/D231800
1975 Trojan F-25 Express Hardtop
Mercruiser 351 233hp
12v system - Solar panels 170 watts
Dan Faith
Sporadic User

Post by Dan Faith »

On your original post the webb site link has no marine category nor did your link give a part number to indicate it was a marine distributor. Only wanted to insure you were aware of the difference. I have been at parts distrubutors that do not know there is a safety issue and spoken to other boat owners that also are unaware of the difference. An auto zone manager wanted to sell me an automotive altenator even after I told him it was for a boat.

I run into this a lot in the aviation side. Insurance on the airplane side will not pay if an accident and there is a none stc'd part on the airplane. A number of pilots do not recongize this.
Dan Faith
Toy Box

Trojan F32
Trojan 30' sport fisherman
Sea Ray 17'
Beach Craft Bonanza N35
Corvette