Steering problem, rudder is not responding

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

jrbro22

Steering problem, rudder is not responding

Post by jrbro22 »

:?:
I have a 26' 1961 Trojan and it seems to have a steering problem. The rudder seems to be stuck. The problem occurred while turning left and it seems like thats the direction that the rudders position when it froze. Mechanically, when visibly looking from the top of the boat to the bilge area where the steering shaft and the part that goes down towards the rudder below, it seems to be functioning properly when turning the helm left or right. But as far as the operating aspect, it seems to be inoperable. The boat just seems to go 1 direction, towards left or around in circle. If you may have knowledge on what the problem might be, please respond with your answer, thank you very much
:cry:
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

The tiller arm seems to be disconnected or loose from the rudder shaft ... or is the entire rudder blade itself bent?

Is the boat afloat? If not, have a swimmer fell for it. Does the rudder turn right/left of center when you turn the wheel?
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
jrbro22

Post by jrbro22 »

rossjo wrote:The tiller arm seems to be disconnected or loose from the rudder shaft ... or is the entire rudder blade itself bent?

Is the boat afloat? If not, have a swimmer fell for it. Does the rudder turn right/left of center when you turn the wheel?
Thank you for the reply. Yes the boat is afloat, but one of the harbor worker said that he might be able to get a trailer for me to rent so that I may be able to pull it out. As far as we can see when the wheel is turned left to right and centered, the drive shaft seem and the arm that holds the rudder shaft is operable but the rudder is not responding. The boat just seems to just want to go left or in circle. Even the vessel assist captain that towed me back in to the marina stated that the boat is wanting to go left while being towed.
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

Don't waste $ on a trailer yet. Set the wheel to the center at the helm, get in the water and see if the rudder is centered, bent, has something on it, or is loose. Then have a helper turn it from side to side and see if it turns (while you're in the water).
jrbro22

Post by jrbro22 »

rossjo wrote:Don't waste $ on a trailer yet. Set the wheel to the center at the helm, get in the water and see if the rudder is centered, bent, has something on it, or is loose. Then have a helper turn it from side to side and see if it turns (while you're in the water).
thank you again
hmc
Sporadic User

Post by hmc »

BET YOU GOT SOMETING WRAPPED ON THE RUDER .

I SEE THE PROPLEM EVERYTING TURNS LEFT IN California
f boat ( glass )
TROJANS !!!
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

The keway may have fallen out of the rudder arm where it connects to the steering box. It has one just like a car under the lazarette. Could be something wrong with the box or the end joint on the drag link too. Remove the rear hatch (lazarette) & the plywood piece to get to all the steering components. Probably has never been greased. There's a few fittings down there.
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

jrbro22,

Did you get your rudder working? Just curious what it was ...
Tuck
Moderate User

Post by Tuck »

hmc wrote:I SEE THE PROPLEM EVERYTING TURNS LEFT IN California
just had to throw out a ROFLMAO on that one. :lol:
Terran
1986 Silverton 40' Aftcabin

Terran
(former 1977 F-32)
gjrylands
Moderate User

Post by gjrylands »

Watch the rudder shaft as you have someone turn the wheel. You stated that the tiller arm was moving, so this would idicate that the steering mechanisam is working. When the tiller arm moves, does the rudder shaft also move, or is the arm slipping on the shaft? If the shaft isn't moving with the arm, the key is either missing or broken. If the shaft moves with the arm, then the pins that secures the rudder to the shaft are broken and will need the be replaced.

A diver can remove the rudder without taking the boat out of the water. You will need to put a tapered wooden plug in the rudder shaft hole when you remove the rudder. With the rudder shaft and rudder removed the repair is straight forward. Once the rudder is re-installed it would be a good idea to re-pack the rudder stuffing box.
Gerry
1979 F36 Twin Chryler 440's
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would NOT pull the rudder out in the water . Its hard to get them out on land some times . I just put 2 rudders im my boat I had to cut one to get it out . and it was working fine . if yours is damaged it maybe very hard to get out. I have pulled a rudder out in the water but it was new and still it was no fun.

If the rudder has to be removed pull the boat .
Last edited by prowlersfish on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

"... rudder hast ber removed ..." - is it Octoberfest in VA ?

;-)

For now, find out what its doing with someone in the water and at the helm, tell us and then we can help you ...
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

MR SPELL CHECK I FIXED IT !!! Do you need something to keep you busy ?? :lol:
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D