Calling all Woodies

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

captain Maniac, that is one beautiful boat, I love the picture you posted
I have been having a mental battle with a wooden boat for years now, I have a 71 glass F31 and I always wanted a wood boat, but as you already Im sure know its a labor of love having a woody. But there is something about it, that attracts me. I actually even tried listing my boat to do a direct swap out for a woody and wasnt successful. And I consider my boat to be in A+ conditon mechanically and structurally(is that spelled right?)
anyway, nice pictures and I love the woods.
1983 10 meter express
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Thanks ! The boat was about 25 years old when that picture was taken. If you stay on top of it, keeping a wood boat in great shape isn't that bad. But if something starts to go and you ignore it, it can get complicated fast.
During my father's ownership (almost 25 years) we had to replace the cockpit hardtop due to rot, had some soft spots in the cabin hardtop to fix as well, had to reinforce the deck in a couple of places, had to reinforce the bottom in one spot (because of bad blocking when hauled and stored or winter), repaired one cracked rib, and perhaps replaced 10 or so planks.
guglielmo6160
Moderate User

Post by guglielmo6160 »

your last posting tells me , and reminds me again, what a responsibility it is having a wood boat, but Im glad guys like you keep em going, someday I may make the jump
1983 10 meter express
GruntzenGrones

Post by GruntzenGrones »

Great idea! You can see a few pics of my woody at http://s924.photobucket.com/home/GruntzenGrones/index

As you can see, she needs lots of cosmetic work -- ought to keep me out of trouble for the next couple of years :wink:
Current Fleet:
* "Rivendell" - 1967 Sea Voyager 42' woody
* "Up The Creek" - 6' wood dinghy - leaky hull - no paddles
MargAnnIII

Post by MargAnnIII »

Gruntzengroans - now that's a beauty ... I did not know that there were tri's made around that time ... and you're right - should keep you busy for a while, but oh so worth the rewards ... keep us posted on the progress please!!!
arktrekker

Post by arktrekker »

Gruntzandgrones-

Where are you putting your baby in the water? I am down bear Benton and the goal is to keep mine on lake ouachita, but it is only a 21' Sea Breeze and has a way to go..
boatlife

Re: Calling all Woodies

Post by boatlife »

Here's a photo of ours... fully restored from the water up. Trojans (especially woodies) are incredible boats!

Barrie
Moderate User

Post by Barrie »

That is an incredible boat you have.
Looks better than new, a real labor of love.
Barrie
Aylmer Ontario, Canada
36' Tri-Fly "The Obvious"
Livin

Post by Livin »

WOW awesome remodel/maintience on your '67..ive got a '68 that I'm restoring. I too would be very interested in a site/blog just for woodies. Wood owners have specific questions not the usual gelcoat issues (wish that was all I had to complain about!) :shock: and it would be great to use such a forum as a reference.
L-i-v-i-n
EM63
Moderate User

Post by EM63 »

Another Sea Skiff repaired in my Marina las year:

--
Greetings - Heiner
Attachments
20140827_134240.jpg
20140827_134240.jpg (82.08 KiB) Viewed 8416 times
20140827_134231.jpg
20140827_134231.jpg (76.31 KiB) Viewed 8416 times
20140827_134203.jpg
20140827_134203.jpg (76.7 KiB) Viewed 8416 times
EM63
Moderate User

Post by EM63 »

Another Sea Skiff 26 now up for auction ( not mine :D ) here in Germany:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121592263510

--
Greetings - Heiner
Attachments
SeaSkiff26k.jpg
SeaSkiff26k.jpg (62.97 KiB) Viewed 8395 times
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

OH MY GAWD............what a great thread!!!! wooden boats not only look amazing when they are kept up, the ride is smoother and more forgiving too. i think they are quieter too. the smell of varnish and refinished teak (freshly sanded) is totally intoxicating to me. at the boat yard near me in middle river, sits a 1953 45' WHEELER 'fly bridge' cruiser. she's been on the hard since the fall of 2013. i met the owner (it's been in the same family since 1955) as he was shoving 'caulk' fabric between some of the planks in her hull. he may have passed as she just sits there shrink wrapped. very sad. she's a beautiful vessel. and a WHEELER at that. i have fond memories of wheelers, but that's another story...............

YEAH!!! keep the woodie thread alive............. i'd say i love woodies but, knowing you guys, i can only imagine the jokes........ :shock:
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

I took my Sea Voyager from Syracuse to Newcastle,On for their wooden boat festival last July. First time I crossed Lake Ontario. A great time!!!
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
1967 seavoyager
Moderate User

Post by 1967 seavoyager »

Take a look at my facebook page to see some pics of the wooden boat festival in Newcastle, On. (scroll down) & see Restless in Canada. www. facebook.com/bobriley.56
They'll pry a rotten plank from my cold dead fingers before i go "Tupperware". http://www.photobucket.com/restless
seavoyager36@hotmail.com

"Restless"
1967 Trojan 36' Sea Voyager Express
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

There are 2 beautiful woodies on my dock. A 1964 Chris 40 footer and a 1940 Stephens, also about 40 foot. Both a labors of love and in perfect condition. The gentleman that owns the Stephens is the original owners son. Boat was a 1 owner boat until 1987 when the owner passed away, his son inherited the boat and keeps it pristine......Makes my 43 year old Sea Raider seem almost new. And for the record the only fiberglass on the Sea Raider is the hull.....so it's kind of like half a woodie,...:) lots of teak and mahogany and in beautiful condition having been totally refit in the last 10 years...including power. Gotta love a Trojan...........John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude