Electrolysis...and the poor start to a boating season.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BeaconMarineBob
Beacon Bob
Beacon Bob

Here is the real story on F 30

Post by BeaconMarineBob »

I just finished the repair work on this F 30. The repair work included new struts, rudder, rudder ports and tiller arms and a bunch of other stuff to put her back together. In all my 30 years or more of marine repair I have never seen anything like this. When I showed this to John Leeds he also had never seen damage like this. Rudder ports gone, bolts gone and struts gone. The starboard side strut was not even there, just the cutlass bearing. The props and shafts were spared because the engine ground was not hooked up. After alot of questions and some investigation it was disclosed that 120 volts was run through the DC circuit of the boat. Thus everywhere the grounding wire went so did the 120 AC current. Not sure how that was done but the pictures tell the story. There will be more to tell once we finish our investigation and the legal stuff gets into full swing.

Bob Cushman
Beacon Marine
Bob Cushman, Owner
Beacon Marine Supply
Bob@BeaconMarineSupply.com
(609)713-4602
~ Please Contribute to the Forum ~
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Bailey was almost on target, but who would think that a 120v wire would be hooked in to a 12v system
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Danny Bailey
Moderate User

Post by Danny Bailey »

Bailey was born at night, but it wasn't last night :)
1980 F-36 with 6BTA 250 Cummins enjoying the Sounds and coastal waters of North Carolina
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Bob, the timing of your post couldn't be better. That boat is at my marina.I just missed you by minutes last Sunday. You spoke to my good friend with his F36. I just got back from the marina,(now 10:30pm or so) from painting my boat along with my friends F36. I saw the F30 and took pics to post in morning. Nice work!!
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Here are the new photos I took yesterday down at the beach, of the 1980 F30 Trojan which is the topic of this discussion.

Bob did a fantastic job with the repair- Just another example of his committment to keep these orphaned boats up and running! New rudders, struts, bolts, zincs.

Of note, I helped bring this boat back when my friend bought it about 3 years ago from Cambridge Maryland and am very familiar with it. Although in need of a deep clean, it really is a nice boat and ran well while my friend owned it.

As mentioned in my first post, he traded this boat, and from my understanding, the boat was then sold to a third party from the guy he traded it to. Not sure under who's control of the boat, after the trade, did this problem arise. They'll sort out the details, I'm sure.

Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

that's a mess I would put down all knowledge of that and walk away from it backwards slooooooooowly
Last edited by alexander38 on Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
rossjo
Ultimate User

Post by rossjo »

How long did the 120VAC run through the 12VDC circuits? That was awful (and dangerous to anyone on board).
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

On board and over board!
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year