Detroit Diesel 671TI Rebuild

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Thermostat housing and cooling tubes installed.

Other end of cooling tubes.

koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

Puts things in perspective in the last shot of you sitting next to the engine.
Man they are big diesels !
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Heat exchanger installed.

Intercooler and fuel cooler after being cleaned up, tested and painted.
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Setting the injector heights.
I purchased a dial indicator off of ebay that was made by Snap On tools to set injector heights on Detroit Diesels. They quit making it years ago and I found this one new in the box.
I paid way too much but I did not want to use the old style tool as I wanted them to be exact. I will sleep better now.

Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

Putting coolant in. Boy does this thing hold a lot of coolant.
And I was very pleased an we did not have any leaks.

Viola!
There she is ready to breath life for the very first time.
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

In total, Dave and I had about 300 hours into doing everything that we did.
That includes all of the work at the boat and also at Daves shop taking things apart, prepping and painting. Also the time that went into making the few special tools that we needed and also the welding that went into making the lifting frame.

All in all, this rebuild came in at just over $10,000 dollars.
That included all parts, machine work, supplies, and paying Dave although he did not ask for or intend to take any money for the work he did.
There was no way I could have made it through this without my Father's help, Daves help and also John from the machine shops help.
I also had help from some very good friends in getting the head out and back in to the boat.
I am very glad that I undertook this project as I now have a much better understanding of what makes this engine tick.

I had to laugh as Dave received a phone call at his shop from someone that asked if he knew anything about Detroit Diesels.... His reply was No, I'm sorry I don't.
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

So good to hear the repowering went well!
Thanks and congrats.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

WOW WOW WOW. Thank you for this! WOW! :shock: WOW, did I say WOW!!!????? :shock: :oops: gonna go paint some little 318 parts now :cry: :lol:
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

Gotta be with Jeff here...WOW !!! great big job well done. I could never under take a project like you did....Good Job!!!!!......John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Way over my head, great job :D :D :D
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Jerry
Moderate User

Post by Jerry »

I had someone email me a good question so I thought I would post the answer here.
Along we using assembly lube to put everything together we did pre-oil the engine before we attempted to start it.
Dave had an old unit that was used years ago from the hot rod days. It looks like a cross between a garden sprayer and a fire extinguisher.
It is a metal cylinder that the top unscrews so you can put a few gallons of oil in, then screw the cap back on. There is a pressure gauge and an air fitting on top so you can pressureize it with an air source.
There is a hose coming off of the bottom of the cylinder that we plumbed into the the engine via the oil pressure sending unit mounting hole.
Once it was hooked up we just slowly opened the valve on the tank and the oil was then forced into the engine.
We left the valve cover loose so we could lift it off and look to see if the oil was making its rounds and it worked just fine.
The secound part of the question was how did we get all of the air out of the fuel system in the block?
Anybody that has ever breached the fuel system of a detroit knows that it is not an easy task to get all of the air out.
The engines do have fuel system primers on them but because the system was about dry it was useless.
The fuel goes in to the side of the head then into passage ways that are internal heading to the little tubes that we hooked to the injectors. The fuel that is not used by the injector is then returned via another tube to passage ways in the head then exits the head and goes into a fuel cooler then back the the fuel tank.
The injector is supplied much more fuel then the engine actually needs as it is a source of cooling for the injector.
We disconnected the fuel line from the output of the fuel cooler then hooked it up to the suction side of a pump.... turned the pump on and watched as the primary fuel filter started to fill up. It worked pretty slick as it seemed to suck all of the air out of the system and suck the fuel in.
Once we had all fuel coming out of the pump we just disconnected it and hooked the return line back up.