LEAKS!

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

we are getting rain tonight, I'll let you know how foolish Randy and I are tomorrow for using "cheap" silicone.....................
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

just curious, if I paid "list" for silicone, is it better?
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Big D,
I have learned to seal EVERY joint, base, hole, and fastener, if not, you'll be using something like captian tolleys or smiths etc...

I always use anti sieze, oil, or silicone, etc, on stainless fasteners, threaded stainless hardware has a nasty habit of galling at the worst time and place, a little lubricant will save a huge headache and bloody knuckles from trying to remove a galled bolt and nut..
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

gettaway wrote:just curious, if I paid "list" for silicone, is it better?
Just Curious If you use a home product thats not made for flexing and wont stick as well is it just as good ? thats why silicone ( incl marine ) is not the right stuff for the job .

do good boat builders use $1.99 silicone for this job ?

When your redoing something that lasted 25-35 years why use somthing that you may have to redo in 5 ? The fact that its easy to remove should tell you somthing , it may not stay in place remember boats flex.
Last edited by prowlersfish on Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Anyone know what false economy is ?
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Right out of the West Marine catalog for silicone sealant

Use wherever a flexible, removable seal is required

A specially-formulated marine silicone that won’t sag, shrink or turn yellow. Unaffected by sunlight, weathering and most chemicals and solvents. Can be used above and below the waterline wherever a flexible, removable seal is required. Excellent for bedding deck fittings and hardware that you may want to remove at some time. Also good for insulating between dissimilar metals to prevent galvanic corrosion. Bonds to fiberglass, wood, plastic, glass and metal. Remains flexible from -70°F to 480°F.

Formulation: One-part silicone sealant
Recommended Usage: Can be removed easily. Bonds to non-oily woods, metal, fiberglass, glass, plastics
Material Incompatibilities: None.
Compatible with acrylics. Not as strong as polyurethane
Cure Time: Tack free: 1 hr; complete cure: 24 hrs.
Cleanup: Soap and water
Removal: Mechanical removal
[[/b]
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

"Excellent for bedding deck fittings and hardware that you may want to remove at some time"

Why would you want to remove it again ? other then to fix the leak again ?

and where do you see that on your harry home owner brand ?

Funny you use the Marine stuff to defend the harry home owner stuff

Anyone know what false economy is ????

Just because it will work , is not saying its the best for the job. A bow rail gets a lot more stress more so them most " deck fittings "
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

prowlersfish wrote:
Anyone know what false economy is ????
A false economy refers to an action which saves money at the beginning but which, over a longer period of time, results in more money being wasted than being saved.

But...you all knew that and I bit like a fish on a hook
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

You knew that , But not many understand that but I bet you do
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

A wise man once said : I'm to poor to be cheap. I'll stick with 4000, 4200 for removable things and 5200 for things that I want to make sure don't move. :wink:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

OK I'll bite,

Harry home owner, a guy who thinks he knows what he doing while causing a larger problem,ulitimately for a professional to come along behind and charge a crap load to fix his screw up.

Prowlerfish, I do appreciate what you are saying and believe there is a place for 4200 5200, and I appreciate your constructive criticism, however the Harry Homeowner comment is a little unfounded or uniformed

I enjoy this forum for the things I have learned about "this old boat" and have come to like the people and personalities that are here. It is also in my quest for learning more about the boat so as to learn from others adventures and even mistakes so I may prevent from repeating them myself. I posted this thread to learn about where the common leaks are on the F32, I was able to cut my search time by learning form others who have crossed this path prior to me,this forum is much like my job, we have many talents in our shop, and everyone is really good at a lot of things, but no one knows it all, which is why it's a team. We keep a fleet of about 2200 pieces of specialty construction equipment, including helicopetrs, in operation for the west coast, I manage fleet operations and governmental compliance, a job I earned and worked my way up to from being in the field and a preivous life of designing and building specialty process equipment, most likely the food you feed your dog, or the salt you put in your pool , on your table or thats in your laundry soap is being touched by a machine I built, sold or installed or one similar to it.

Here is what this "Harry Homeowner" does every day......being "cheap" gets people killed...just saying

The great thing about this forum, is we can disagree and we can maintain our boats to the level we think is best for ourselves.
No hard feelings here

Last edited by gettaway on Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

This a hatteras 53 that a friend of mine captains and maintains, we took it up Catalina (about 70 miles open water) My friend just completed a 300,000 refit, total new interior, LP top to bottom, new generators)(2) engine rebuilds, beatiful boat. no 5200,
The hatteras hull lines is what made me like the Trojan , they are very similar and have a classic sport fisher look

This is me Skippering the boat
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Mo insult meant or implied

Harry Home owner means a home product in my post . Did I call you harry home owner ? No I did not . Not that H H O is a bad thing.

NOW where did I come up with Harry Home owner ? Harry Homer owner was a Figure use in hecingers home improvement ads ( long gone ) . So you are completely wrong on that Part.

BTW Want do do has nothing I mean nothing at all to do with boat repair from what I see. Nothing .

I have been working on them for years (35+) and I know what will hold up where.

Sorry If I offended you but your reading things that are not there .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

No insult taken, it may be a little naive to think that what I do and am surrounded by on a daily basis has no influence on descisions outside of work. I think those who have a good work ethic have it 24/7, those with attention to detail have it at work and at home, quality is quality, you have an eye for it or you don't you care about quality or you don't and I don't think many people have a swithc that they can turn it on and off depending on the location,, well maybe divorce lawyers.

And to think this thread has veered in this direction over brand and price of silicone sealant, pretty laughable
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

It started out With a repair being done ( very well I may add ) But I notice what I find to be the wrong product being used and I said so .

And I still stand by that ,Silicone is the wrong stuff to use for the best long lasting repair. I believe in doing it right be at work or on my own boat or others . If this was a none stressed part Silicone would be OK . but it is a stressed part .

This has nothing to do with brand and price . (although I find silicone use to save $$ all the time )
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels