Unique in North America, and a question

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Torcan
Moderate User

Unique in North America, and a question

Post by Torcan »

Don't know if this is anywhere else in the world, thought I would share this with you.

The Big Chute marine railway, a National Historic Site near Port Severn, Ontario, Canada, is unique in North America. Instead of relying on a standard lock system to carry watercraft through the 17.7 m change in elevation at this point on the Trent-Severn Waterway, boats are secured by slings on a large carriage, which moves along a railway track. The boats are lifted out of the water, carried over the waterfall and gently placed into the water again.

1st part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F0EikNt ... re=related

2nd Part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmHqqPys ... re=related

3rd Part
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXxlmuw2pTg&NR=1

And now my question:

I am a resident of Downtown Toronto, Ontario Canada
Have one of the Great Lakes at my doorstep, Lake Ontario
But I am debating whether to dock it on Lake Ontario, or Lake Simcoe about 1 hour north of Toronto. Lake Simcoe is the the fourth-largest lake wholly in the province, dock fees are less of course, but then I have to factor in the extra travelling time, back and forth.

Which would you do? Prefer? a Great Lake, or a smaller lake which does have a waterway path from Lake Ontario to lake Huron on the Trent Severin Waterway, 286 miles from one lake to the other, by way of navigable rivers, docks and lakes.

I am concerned on maybe not being able to boat as much on Lake Ontario, just because of its sheer size and waves and winds. But it's so close, and that is the draw, along with the huge fish, trout etc.

On the other hand, I probably would be out more often, after work etc, just because it will be 10 mins from home.

How are other peoples experiences, do you prefer big open water, or smaller more intimate scenic getaways?
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Doesn't matter what any of us would prefer -- bottom line question is how do you intend to use the boat? Do you want to go lots of places? Travel long distances or just short trips? Spend most weekends aboard or possibly week nights aboard too? Swim from it? Fishing? Have kids who will want to be in the water or playing with water toys? etc...

I have been on Lake Ontario for almost 35 years now, but I have also cruised the Thousand Islands, Trent Severn, Rideau Canal, and I have spent some time on Lake Simcoe too. All regions have great things to offer - just depends on whether its the kind of stuff that turns your crank or not.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Exactly , One one can make the choice for you what works for me may not work for you . Good news is if you don't like one place you can always move the boat.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Torcan,

My theory regarding boating has always been that there are two kinds of boaters, those who have a boat on thier check lists of stuff to aquire to impress themselves or thier friends, your know the kind, fancy shiney ping pong plastic balls in the marina, all of the anchor emblazend dishes, sweaters and and captains hats, then they realize that owning a boat is a passion and a big resopsibility and then claim the happiest days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

And then there are those like us, those who have boating and the water in our blood, you know the kind, those of use who get as much enjoyment sitting at the dock cruising our favorites places, or sitting at the dock in the cockpit admiring our latested project on the boat. Those of us that have come home with beat up knuckles from replacing an impeller and feel great that it's one less thig to worry about.

Those of us who are sad to put her to bed at the end of a great outing and are thrilled to think of the next time you get to go

Torcan , if you love boating, the location only make the expience (better?) but you'll love just being on the boat
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

gettaway wrote:Torcan,

My theory regarding boating has always been that there are two kinds of boaters, those who have a boat on thier check lists of stuff to aquire to impress themselves or thier friends, your know the kind, fancy shiney ping pong plastic balls in the marina, all of the anchor emblazend dishes, sweaters and and captains hats, then they realize that owning a boat is a passion and a big resopsibility and then claim the happiest days of owning a boat are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

And then there are those like us, those who have boating and the water in our blood, you know the kind, those of use who get as much enjoyment sitting at the dock cruising our favorites places, or sitting at the dock in the cockpit admiring our latested project on the boat. Those of us that have come home with beat up knuckles from replacing an impeller and feel great that it's one less thig to worry about.

Those of us who are sad to put her to bed at the end of a great outing and are thrilled to think of the next time you get to go

Torcan , if you love boating, the location only make the expience (better?) but you'll love just being on the boat

Very well said BUT I don't like sitting at the dock !
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

Agree prowlerfish, but in the real world of us working folks evertime you go to the boat does not allow one to take her out, so giving a choice I'd rather be on the boat at the dock than not on the boat at all.........

Merry Christmas
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

I live downtown Toronto too... I like being on my boat all the time, I don't fish (only eat salt water fish), I like sitting in bays with or without other boats around so I am on Georgian Bay. Started out in Midland but found the near spots two crowded and would travel 1 hr North, so I moved the boat one hour North... an extra 35 mins in the car and 1 hr less in the boat made sense to me.
Right now I'm on my new boat in Alabama and return to TO Jan 3rd... we should meet for a drink and go over the pros and cons.
For me giving up weekday use is OK.... though the drive North Hwy 400 can get to you after a while, I leave noon Fri and return late Sunday and on long weekends take a days holiday because the 400 is nuts.

Am heading to Birmingham to p/u the Admiral, so will be back on later tonight.

Look around this site to see photos of where I boat:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79664671@N00/sets/

Start with the Georgian Bay folder then the North channel which is vacation trip.

This is out my apartment window, maybe you can workout where I am at
:wink:

Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

ready.... living in a slum I see !!!

Jeez... you could walk to Queens Quay in about 45 seconds yet you endure the ride up north? I couldn't do it.. but one of these days I do want to get up there and do the North Channel. I may rent a boat to do it though and save the $3K or so in fuel and 2 weeks round trip it will take to get there and back.
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

ready123 wrote:I live downtown Toronto too... I like being on my boat all the time, I don't fish (only eat salt water fish), I like sitting in bays with or without other boats around so I am on Georgian Bay. Started out in Midland but found the near spots two crowded and would travel 1 hr North, so I moved the boat one hour North... an extra 35 mins in the car and 1 hr less in the boat made sense to me.
Right now I'm on my new boat in Alabama and return to TO Jan 3rd... we should meet for a drink and go over the pros and cons.
For me giving up weekday use is OK.... though the drive North Hwy 400 can get to you after a while, I leave noon Fri and return late Sunday and on long weekends take a days holiday because the 400 is nuts.

Am heading to Birmingham to p/u the Admiral, so will be back on later tonight.

Look around this site to see photos of where I boat:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/79664671@N00/sets/

Start with the Georgian Bay folder then the North channel which is vacation trip.

This is out my apartment window, maybe you can workout where I am at
:wink:

why not meet for a drink and go over the pros and cons at my club? Maybe Micheal can bring the head we were talking about and Torcan can see the club
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

rooferdave wrote:why not meet for a drink and go over the pros and cons at my club? Maybe Micheal can bring the head we were talking about and Torcan can see the club
Deal let's do that when I get back say second week of January.... the head is ready and waiting Dave.
I guess since it is your club the drinks are on you :wink:
Michael
Done Dreamin'
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

captainmaniac wrote:ready.... living in a slum I see !!!

Jeez... you could walk to Queens Quay in about 45 seconds yet you endure the ride up north? I couldn't do it.. but one of these days I do want to get up there and do the North Channel. I may rent a boat to do it though and save the $3K or so in fuel and 2 weeks round trip it will take to get there and back.
4 yrs ago I lived down the road from your Marina (Marine Dr) but still kept my boat on Georgian Bay because that boating environment was the most important thing to me.....

I guess it is a situation of not knowing what the other side of the fence is like. I couldn't boat down on lake Ontario even though I am missing the use of my boat on weekdays.... though I am working on fixing that right now!
View out of my bridge as I write this:

Michael
Done Dreamin'
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

rooferdave why not meet for a drink and go over the pros and cons at my club? Maybe Micheal can bring the head we were talking about and Torcan can see the club
Am interested, will pm you my info

does your club have a name/website? Brimley at Lakeshore
doesn't give me anything on searching here in TO
Is it Highland at Bluffers?
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
reelfishin
Moderate User

Post by reelfishin »

Interesting. I would have to consider what I want in a Marina and what I want to do with the boat. If the lake does not have a good facilities or the facilities I like then I would choose the other marina. Of course the distance to fishing and the cost of fuel should be considered. I think a persons life style will play a part into it too. Some marinas have pools and they do have boaters who like to party or atleast have diners on the dock. Lots to consider. One thing though , a 10 minute drive to the boat to check on things is a lot easier than a hour drive.
Fishing Chesapeake Bay and Off Shore Virginia.
1988 11 meter Trojan International 450 HP 671TI Detroit Diesels
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

Torcan wrote:
rooferdave why not meet for a drink and go over the pros and cons at my club? Maybe Micheal can bring the head we were talking about and Torcan can see the club
Am interested, will pm you my info

does your club have a name/website? Brimley at Lakeshore
doesn't give me anything on searching here in TO
Is it Highland at Bluffers?
I can't believe we have about 35 open slips at the rates I told you aboutthe other thread
anyway check out the website, it is in a fenced off section, which is awesome as in the summer the parking lots are full and without the club membership you can not even go down the hill and with the electronic gate there are never parking probs
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

I will recap our rates $2800/year this includes unlimited pump outs, electricity very nice club house, tool room accesable through the dock masters, winter haul out, winterstorage and powerwash of your hull, also spring launch, we use 2 600 plus tonne cranes to pull all 150+ boats out in about 14 hours, what a show! We have some live aboards as we have bubblers. Also there is a security gate so our boats are in a private secure area with cameras. To boot a $250 bar/ restaurant tab is included in this! There is a one time $3800 initiation fee. (glad for the bartab as I will need it for ready and torcans visit...yes the drinks are on me guys)

anyone interested contact me for a tour ( and drinks)

oops we are a working club and there is 20 hours service needed per year .. i.e haul out etc