boat renovations

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

wowzer52
Active User

Post by wowzer52 »

SWEET!
1975 F-32 "SIMPLY BLESSED"
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

Holy toledo, you really know what you are doing. That deck looks fantastic.
MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

That was very impressive, it looks great. I wish I would have taken some pitcures on my projects it is neat to see the before and after pitcures.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
gumper
Sporadic User

Post by gumper »

The photos don't show the flaws. It was a learning experience for sure. I was worried about using the douglass fir but the wood blended with the other wood better than I thought. The fir for the deck was about $200. The sika flex caulking cost more. The next project wil be the cabin floor.
gumper
Sporadic User

Post by gumper »

I never got around to finishing the trim work after I replaced the deck last summer. Here is what I have done so far. Once everything is fitted I will remove it all again and apply the varnish.

Still thinking about built in seating at the back of the boat. If any one has any good ideas I would love to hear them or better yet post some pics.

prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Nice wood work
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Beautiful
BlueBelle

Post by BlueBelle »

Looks great!
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
mitch
Sporadic User

Post by mitch »

The Trojan F44 sport fisherman next to me, is currently doing the same job, would share pics, but too old to learn and lazy to up load pics. He also is doing an excellent job
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

WOW

It looks great

But Man what a lot of work

Kuddos to you!
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
jblack1036

fridge interior door panels

Post by jblack1036 »

Awsome job Gumper. I'm curious to know where you found the replacement fridge interior door pannels. PO cut them out of ours so I have no shelves to put stuff on and the bear foam without the skin doesn't look good no matter how you look at it when you open the fridge.
Jim Black
31' 1965 Trojan Sea Breeze (Wiskey Girl)
29' 1974 Caver Monterey (Rough -N- Ready)
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

gumper wrote:Still thinking about built in seating at the back of the boat. If any one has any good ideas I would love to hear them or better yet post some pics.
Don't know if I will be able to find any pics or not, but we built a bench seat in my father's old 28' years (actually, decades) ago. It was a simple short bench on each side of the aft hatch, that covered the space from the hatch to the cockpit sides. 2x2s for framing I think, and then used a 'grid' of 1x2s or 1x3s for lower shelves and seating surface. 1/4" ply for a 'face' for each of these sections.

There was also a removable section that joined the two mini-benches. It was also a grid of the 1x2 or 1x3, and just lifted off when you needed to get in or out of the aft hatch easily. Kind of worked like the filler section in your v-berth.

On top of it all was just a vinyl-upholstered 2" foam cushion.

Gave us seating, plus increased storage (life jackets, BBQ, etc). The 'shelves' also kept whatever was stored there off the ground (and dry from rain or spray running through the cockpit to the scuppers) and the grid design also let air to everything.

Anyways, will see if I can find any pics from way back then, otherwise may try to sketch something up.
gumper
Sporadic User

bench seating

Post by gumper »

Thanks captainmaniac I would appreciate pics if you could find them. There are not many Searaiders around here any more. It is hard to find pics of what other people have done. My boat has had alot of repairs over the years. I don't know what is original and what is not.
gumper
Sporadic User

Post by gumper »

I am sorry jblack1036 but those are not new frigde panels. I wanted to keep the character of the boat as much as possible. I love the wooed doors on the fridge. After 40 years the plasitc panels had cracked and the baby blue colour thats " color" for our american friends had faded and stained.

I removed all the panels and seals front the fridge and used fibre glass and west sytem expoxy to rebuild the inside door panels and repair the inside of the fridge. I then put 6 coats of paint and wet sanded the panels up to 2000 grit paper. I then polished the panels. The metal bars that hold the stuff on the shelfs go into the panels about a 1 1/2" from the front instead of just going through the sides. It made more room on the shelf and is stronger. This was my winter project last winter.
gumper
Sporadic User

Post by gumper »

I am sitting in my shop in the back ( the shop is so old that the city does not know when it was built. I found initials and the year 1891 carved into a board) and I was staring at the old teak hatch covers that I saved when I did the deck last year. They were in much better condition than the deck just could not justify the cost of using teak on the new deck to match them. I was thinking that one would make a great table to go with the new bench seating.

I know there are a few of you guys in the Toronto area. Do you know were I could find some teak lumber there. I have not found a good source here in Ottawa. I am going to a company function at the harbour castle hotel in a month thought it would be I good time to pick some wood up.