Mid Cabin Express Steering assist question about pressure

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BarryL
Sporadic User

Mid Cabin Express Steering assist question about pressure

Post by BarryL »

I was poking around the bilge and noticed the reservoir for the hydraulic steering assist. A pressure gauge showed about 12PSIG. is this where it should be? if not it is as simple as adding air or how would I increase the pressure?

Thanks in advance,

Barry
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Barry,

That's a little low. If you look on the side of the canister, you'll see the recommended pressure. I believe it's 30-35??

I carry a bike pump on board for this reason. Remove the storage bin behind the transom seat and you'll be able to look straight down at the gauge and access the air fill.

If you are getting dripping either behind the helm or from the wheel onto the cockpit floor there is a rebuild kit available. If very slight, I would wait until the next off season.

You can use ATF fluid but the Seastar fluid flows easier at lower temps and can be had at West Marine. Good idea to rub a little on the hydraulic piston to keep the seal lubed up (right below the reservoir).

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

Bob,

thanks for the great information. No leaks found anywhere just wondered how much pressure was needed. Steering is smooth and my first inboard boat in a long time so the steering feel was not something I was familiar with. I will bump up the pressure and see how that changes the feel at the wheel.

Thanks again.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I run mine at 15-20 psi you will not notice any difference if it was at 5 psi or 35 psi , this is a hydraulic system not a assist
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
sluggo
Sporadic User

Steering

Post by sluggo »

Timely topic. Just took my 10 meter 1987 our engines ran good but no steering. Yikes. Rudders are still there so that's good. I think I am out of fluid. I think you put the fluid in the resaviour by taking out the plug where the valve where you pump it up with the bike pump right. I assume you can use hydraulic fluid as well as ATF which I think is automatic transmission fluid And I am assuming that once I fill this I should get steering back. Thanks. Typing this on my iPhone so the spelling mat be rough
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
sluggo
Sporadic User

Steering

Post by sluggo »

Timely topic. Just took my 10 meter 1987 our engines ran good but no steering. Yikes. Rudders are still there so that's good. I think I am out of fluid. I think you put the fluid in the resaviour by taking out the plug where the valve where you pump it up with the bike pump right. I assume you can use hydraulic fluid as well as ATF which I think is automatic transmission fluid And I am assuming that once I fill this I should get steering back. Thanks. Typing this on my iPhone so the spelling mat be rough
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
sluggo
Sporadic User

Steering

Post by sluggo »

Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Use Seastar fluid , a ATF is only recc. for emergences

and Yes thats where you add it
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
sluggo
Sporadic User

I got it fixed

Post by sluggo »

as I mentioned, my steering was out, no control at all. so I tried to fill it back with fluid. I went to NAPA and got hydrolic fluid. I took the little plug out ant tried to fill it there. Long and short, a friend helped me, instead of taking the little plug, where you put the pump on, it took out the bigger plug. Now we could get a good fill. Also we had to work the fluid back into the lines etc. We did bleed it as recommended by the book, (which I have and if you need one let me know and I will copy it for you). after working the steering, refilling, repressurizing, we got the steering to work. I learned 2 things, 1) how to refill everything, and 2) next time before I take it out, I will make sure I see that tie rod move when I move the wheel!!!!
Sluggo
87 10 mid cabin
Ohio river
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would strongly recommend you drain it out and put the correct fluid in it . you don't known how the seals will react.

Seastar fld or a aviation hyd. fliud that meets MIL SPEC H-5606 C is the only fluids you should use . automotive and other hyd. fluids are not the right stuff .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels