another overheating 440

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Wingit48

another overheating 440

Post by Wingit48 »

I have a 19772 42' sea voyager with twin 440s. My port engine is chronically overheating - running at 185 degrees at 1800 RPM (starboard engine is fine and runs at 165). If I try to open it up, the temperature on the port engine quickly rises when operating over 2500 RPM and then spikes all the way over 3000 complete with backfiring form overheating. I am getting plenty of water through the external system and the interior system is flowing freely - I have put in a new thermostat just in case. I have no leakage of coolant if I keep RPM below 2,000, but if I open it up, I lose a gallon in 20 minutes. Despite intense inspection of the engine when underway, I can find no evidence of leakage anywhere.

Lastly, the manifold and riser were replaced on the starboard side of this engine two years ago but the originals were left on the port side. I get steam coming out of the this engine regardless of RPM and copious amounts of steam when I try to open it up. Could this be the problem? My old mechanic insisted this was not a significant problem (I am in fresh water). My new mechanic has given up. Any advice would be appreciated.