Followup to F26 With Mercruiser running issue

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

akwalker
Sporadic User

Followup to F26 With Mercruiser running issue

Post by akwalker »

Found the problem :D First, I wanted to thank all those that responded, I really appreciate it.

After much troubleshooting, and ruling out, I found that the Pertronix electronic ignition that the previous owner had installed was at fault. I checked the timing at idle, and faound that it was about 16 degrees BTC instead of 8. Changed the timing to 8, and took the boat for a run. It was worse than ever, just would not make power, so I started advancing the timing a little at a time until the boat ran reasonably well. After about 15 minutes, it started running like garbage again. I checked the timing, and it was back to 16 degrees BTDC at idle.

Found a local marina with a used Mallory, points equipted distributer. Sold it to me for $50.00. Installed the breaker plate, points and condensor. Gapped the points, set the dwell, and went for a ride. Boat runs like it should.

There's alot to be said for old school ignition systems!!

Thanks again.
1981 F-26 hardtop
"Gracious Lady"