F32 New owner and project boat Help and advice.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Islanddr08

Sides

Post by Islanddr08 »

While I have her on dry dock I was thinking of buffing out the hull to try and bring some shine back in her. Any suggestions. I have some compound and would try that with giving her a good wax and use and electric buffer, but any good ideas. She has a real dull spot just aft of the bow. I think someone was going to attempt once before and either stripped the shine or gave up.
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

Depends on just how bad it is. Two stage compound starting with a fine cut and finishing with a good polish will handle just about all but the worst oxidation. Follow this with a good marine wax and it should shine like new. Unfortunately it will also show all teh blemishes in the hull which may be present.

I like Hi-Temp compounding and polishing products when using rotary buffer. Use whatever wax you like after that. I have had good luck with McGuires marine waxes. The one in the black bottle works very well but is also a bit spendy.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
ready123
Ultimate User

Re: Soft decks

Post by ready123 »

Islanddr08 wrote:At present though I've been doing alot of research and my fordeck is a little soft and I'm worried about that.
Does anyone have or know of someone with experience in this and is it common for Trojan?
Hit the foredeck and side decks with a plastic headed hammer... dull sound means wet, bright ping sound means dry. You can rent a moisture meter to check it also.
Wet decks are not a surprise in F32's, many get them.
Two ways of doing it:
Cut and remove the top layer of glass/gel then dig out & remove all the wet balsa core and replace with new as shown here, do it in about 9 sq ft sections to maintain strength of top deck and ensure it does not spread:

OR
take the top glass/gel skin off and use this product CPES to dry and re-strengthen the wet balsa.
http://www.rotdoctor.com/glass/GLmain.html

If the balsa has not turned to soup this is the lower priced way with little downside.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
Islanddr08

Top Deck

Post by Islanddr08 »

Nice work. I've never worked with gelcoat and will have to do some studying on that before I rip her apart, but I think I have alot of work before that. The pics and plan are very good and I will try it that way when I do. I will get back to you on that.
Islanddr08

Still Working

Post by Islanddr08 »

Hello everyone,

Just and up date and to let you know I haven't droped off the map. Thank you all for the great tips and encouragement.

For the update. I'm still working on all the projects because I'm trying to get the boat to my home port in Ft. Lauderdale from the west coast of Florida and have been getting skinned on storage fee's. I got her running and limped into Tarpon Springs where I dry docked her. The bottom was thick with barnacles and moss. After a good scrapping and pressure wash she had a great improvement but this revealed all the small micro holes in the paint and hull and one big crack in the fiberglass around the port bow. I spent a week of sanding and filling to secure her and be sure she had no more points that could lead to blisters but she had a horrendous build up of bottom paint that could have been for the past 20 or so years. Alot of rough spots. I've gotten rid of most, but still feel she would benifit from a good sand blast and fresh start, but time and money are putting that on hold.

I redid all the running gear. Struts needed repair. New cutlass bearings, redid all the wood. Took down the Rudders and replaced the wood and stuffing. New shaft stuffing and rebuilt all the seacocks. Cleaned and reseated all the through hulls and strainers. Now she has clean water in all the strainers and no leaks. A great feeling.

I put her back in the water and took her out for a test drive. She ran fine at low RPM (1000 - 1300) I tried once to get her on plan but she sputtered and coughed and seem to get stuck around 2000 RPM's. Then took her for a long drive south. She had a very strong smell of fuel throughout, but I cannot find any fuel leaks and the bildge was clean.

I burned almost 90 gallons going 40 miles and then the port engine which I thought was the smoothest running cut out and the port tank that had 50 gallons was empty. She's moving really slow at 5- knots at 1200 RPM on both motors. I feel strongly that something is not right. I've taken off both carbs with the intention of rebuilding because I think she may be flooding the carbs because of sticking floats, but can't seem to have a solid answer as to why she is burning so much fuel. The coughing and sputtering when I try to take her to high RPM's I'm sure is related, but not sure if that is the only problem. She runs fine without missing, but in the Morning when I started her the SB engine blew a nice black carbon cloud over the water. I'm sure it is fuel related.

Does anyone have any clues as to how I can chase a fuel leak I can't see. After my run of 40 miles I found some fuel coated oil in the bildge. I changed the oil before I left and did not spill any, but now the oil smells like gas again.

Any clues or leads will be appreciated.

I still have not posted pics because all the work I'm doing isn't properly finished because of time constraints so I'm doing only the necessary to move her.

Looking forward to any clues. Also I will have some wiring questions.

Thanx

Island Dr.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

fuel coated oil ?? thats a new one to me . As far as the oil smelling like fuel that could be a bad fuel pump . a missing engine or a flooding carb ' I would look real hard at the fuel pumps .

fuel burn ? see all the above . also above hull speed ( apoxx 7 knots ) fuel burn goes way up . at 6 knots she will be good on fuel at 10 knots she will be a PIG . once on plane it it will get better . as a rough guess 2 mpg at 6 knots .6 mpg at 10 knots and 1.0 mpg at 15-18 knots ( on plane of course). these are just some very rough numbers , but I am try to give you a Idea of fuel burn at different hull speeds .

You could also have some prop issues too .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Islanddr08

excessive fuel burn

Post by Islanddr08 »

Thanks Paul.

I was probally pushing her a little to get good time. I was probally doing about 8 knots and didn't realize the differnce in fuel burn. Along with the poor tuning, she probally burned alot.

As for the fuel smell in the oil, I've heard rumours that most gas engines end up with a fuel smell in the oil, but this is really strong. It may be forcing the fuel past the compression rings. I also think maybe the excessive fuel use could be attributed to the carbs. I can't see how the fuel pump could leak into the engine. There's also the stong smell of fuel as she is running. It's a little scarry. I don't like running gas engines and have used deisel in the past, so not to familiar with how strong of a fuel smell there should be. At night it smells like raw fuel in the boat. Very strong.

I've heard Trojans have a history of fuel tank problems. Does anyone have any clues to this history. She has two extra tanks in the stern. I did not put any gas in these because they may have to come back out to finish painting down in the hull. When I had them out of the boat and was doing work I smelt no gas. When I had her on dry dock, I filled the mid ship tanks and still smelt no gas. As soon as I started running the engines, the strong gas smell is there. I can't find any leaks though. Not around the tanks or on the engine. Someone suggested checking the filters but can find any problems there either.

This is a mistery, but I won't feel safe until it is solved.

Robert
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Trojans have a history of fuel tank issues ? Not per say . Older boats have history of fuel tank issues with old tanks would be the correct way to put it .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

Most marine fuel pumps have a hose running from the pump to the carb or spark arrestor so when the diaphram failes in the pump the fuel will be burned in the engine. if your fuel pumps do not have this they may have been replaced with automotive pumps and when the diaphram fails it will leak into the engine or externally into bildge. As for as smell of gas in the bildge if everything is sealed up the smell should be very slight.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Robert, did you check the vent lines to the aft tanks? It sounds like a lot of work was done back there and if the tank vent line is not connected to the hull fitting I think you could get a smell in the boat. Also, if the tank valves are all open I think you could get some fuel moving to the aft tanks with out you knowing about it. That would account for you missing fuel.

How about it everyone? would fuel move from the port forward to the port aft tank while you are running the engine and the valves are open?

Where are you keeping the boat once you arrive in Lauderdale? I live here too and if you need anything please let me know.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Islanddr08

Fuel Smell

Post by Islanddr08 »

Thanks for the reply.

I put the rear tanks back in and know the vent lines are open. I have the valve open in the mid ship tanks. I'm not sure if the valve is open for the rear tanks. I have the valve open for both tanks to run off each other in the center, but again strange that only one tank would be empty.

I'm stuck in St. Pete for a few days but going back up to start again in a few days. I was going to Banyan Bay Marina off Griffin and 95. I have to sort out arrangements with them.

I found something online and talked to a mechanic that I took the carbs to. He says if there are no leaks around the fuel pump then that can't be the problem. I also found that the Holley Carbs have an internal flood valve and he says if that is pluged that could be my source and it would give a huge gas smell. I'm having the carbs rebuilt and when installed I will see if the problem is better. I will work through the problem step by step along the way. Just as long as you don't hear in the news of a huge boat explosion I should be alright or probally won't know the better either way. :D :D

Anyway that is my first step. Once I put fuel back in I will check thoroughly for leaks and only put a small amount in at a time to see. But I had full tanks before running the engine and had no smell until I started running the engines. The rear tanks when out look almost in new condition. I will check back there too. Someone mentioned it could be from around the filter bowels. I did change the filters and it was tricky getting the seals back on. I will double check them while the engine is running. I also had to basically manually pump fuel from the tanks to the engine after switching to the forward tanks and changing the filters so I don't know if that could be associated in some way. The fuel ran fine after that. I have to change the filters again anyway so I will check all of that out. Hopefully most of the old fuel and gunk is out of the tanks now.

I also think I may have some sticky rings on the the SB engine. Will do a tune up and pull the plugs again to see the result after a day of running. I'm scared to do a compression test, because I may not want the results just yet, but this would also give me some indication of the condition of the motors. I will run some mistery oil through her for a day or two and change the oil again. This boat has been sitting for 3-5 years so some excercise may reveal or solve some problems.

Step by step, I'm sure she will come together.

Thanx,

Rob
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

I know Banyan bay is going to be a bear to get into, with the fixed bridges, and I think you will need to go the long way around. If this is true and you need a place to stop until the tide is right you are more than welcome to raft off to my boat (I'm on the new river at marina bay) just let me know :D

good luck with the rest of your trip
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
rossjo
Ultimate User

Re: Soft decks

Post by rossjo »

ready123 wrote:
Islanddr08 wrote:At present though I've been doing alot of research and my fordeck is a little soft and I'm worried about that.
Does anyone have or know of someone with experience in this and is it common for Trojan?
Hit the foredeck and side decks with a plastic headed hammer... dull sound means wet, bright ping sound means dry. You can rent a moisture meter to check it also.
Wet decks are not a surprise in F32's, many get them.
Two ways of doing it:
Cut and remove the top layer of glass/gel then dig out & remove all the wet balsa core and replace with new as shown here, do it in about 9 sq ft sections to maintain strength of top deck and ensure it does not spread:

OR
take the top glass/gel skin off and use this product CPES to dry and re-strengthen the wet balsa.
http://www.rotdoctor.com/glass/GLmain.html

If the balsa has not turned to soup this is the lower priced way with little downside.
Michael - I never knew how much work you did on your F32. My hat is off to you. Great job!
Captain Ross, 2009 Trojan Boater of the Year
"Viva Mahia" F32 Cummins 6BTA diesels,
"Mack Attack" Chaparral 244 Fish, SeaPro 180, McKee 14, Montauk-17