antifouling

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

drbbqking
Sporadic User

antifouling

Post by drbbqking »

looking at the bottom paint pages of jamestown dist. I am looking at pettit unepoxy looks like its about 60% copper and at $79 a gal its priced good too aquaguard bottom gard is 22% and $64 a gal... yrs ago I used interlux and i think it was bottom kote or fiberglass bottomkote and could get a few seasons out of it that was on a sail boat but it worked well what is everyone using in heavy fouling waters of the bay with out cleaning out the bank!!!!
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

I have been using Interlux A.C.T. for the past (4)years with great success. Boat stays in about (9) months and never any barnacles or slime. Also clean and prime running gear and trim tabs and apply (2) coats of Trilux 3 to them. I have used Petit Vivid in the past on a other boat for slime prevention with good results also.
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
gettaway
Active User

Post by gettaway »

how often do you have to paint?

We try to get 3- 4 years here, the haul and cost of a paint job yearly would be forbiddingly to expensive.
koviak
Moderate User

Post by koviak »

I repaint every year, ablative paint.
Dennis
1989 10 Meter Mid-Cabin
Commissionpoint
Active User

Post by Commissionpoint »

I don't need much if any copper in my paint here. Herbacides are also optional, but I find it saves me a little time in the fall if I use a paint containing them. My home waters are classified EPA 'AA' drinking quality though, not a whole lot going on to foul the hull or gear. Maybe some algae if you leave it in 8 or 9 months hence the herbacide in the paint.

Clearly this wouldn't do so well for the guys down in the Bay or Florida.
1978 F-32 "Eclipse"
Merc 305 SBC's
1.52:1 Borg Warners

1983 Correct Craft
Commander 351 Ford (PCM)
1:1 Borg Warner

There are 350 different varieties of shark, not counting loan or pool.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I started using west marines "PCA Gold Antifouling Paint with Irgarol" Its a ablative with a slime guard seems to do a good job at a good price . color stays bright too
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BlueBelle

Post by BlueBelle »

I applied two coats of Interlux ACT over the weekend. Hope to get her back in the water this week. Year-round in the water in Florida requires an annual application along with monthly cleaning.
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I have found you can get 1 year per coat ( 2 coats 2 years ) with a ablative ,( lower Chesapeake bay ) Of course the running gear will need cleaning . I have had good luck on the running gear with Petit "ZINC COAT BARNACLE BARRIER " on the running gear . lasts about a year (2-3 coats )
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
DAVIDLOFLAND
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by DAVIDLOFLAND »

"PCA Gold Antifouling Paint with Irgarol" works great up here in the cold salt water. We get a lot more fouling than one may think. Our near-shore salt water is actually green with bio-organisms.
1977 F-32 INSTANT FUN "Just Add Water"
My Forever boat - O/O 30 years and counting
Yanmar 6BY3-260's
jddens
Moderate User

Post by jddens »

Well, not be be obnoxious but.......here in the Sac Delta fresh water we can go 2-4 years between hauling. some use ablative and some don't most seem to work good here as long as you get her on plane often..............John
1972 Trojan Sea Raider F30 - FI 350's "Time Warp"
1998 Kawasaki ZXi 1100
1972 Chevy Fleetside Shortbed hotrod.......450hp
10.5 Newport Inflatable w/15hp Rude