Old Fuel Problems - Filter/water seperater did it's job.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

vabeach1234
Moderate User

Old Fuel Problems - Filter/water seperater did it's job.

Post by vabeach1234 »

I had some pretty old fuel in my port side fuel tank. Shortly after I switched over to it I started loosing RPM's. I was running at around 3000 rpm at the time. So I slowed down to about 500 rpms and then couldn't get over that. So we started heading back to the slip at a slow 2 mph. After about 30 minutes the motor started running smoother and was able to increase the rpms. I didn't go over 1600 rpms just to be cautious. Got back to the slip and pulled off the fuel filter. I drained it into a gallon water jug and with in a minute it phase seperated. There was a clear band about 1/4" thick on top. Replaced the filter and I ran it in the slip for about 15 minutes and then took her out for about a 2 hour cruise and she ran great. There really wasn't much junk in the fuel, just the seperation.

So what I learned... Use the boat more often to use up old fuel and occasionally switch tanks that I'm running off to minimuize the amount of build up/junk at the bottom of the tank so the filter can do it's job little by little and not all at once.

FYI, I have the Fram FCS1136M Fuel/water Separator with a Wix filter element.

Oh yeah, the coast guard tried to board me again but I had the paper work from the labor day boarding so they just wanted to see life jackets for all on board. I guess I've got a target on my boat now.
Ken
1972 Trojan F26 Express
1985 Dell Quay Dory 13
Hampton, VA
http://s853.photobucket.com/user/vabeac ... ojan%20F26