bilge pumps - mid cabin

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BobCT
Active User

bilge pumps - mid cabin

Post by BobCT »

Have any of you guys upgraded the existing pumps or added any add'l ones?

I believe I have the factory setup which is two Rule 1,500's in the engine room and a single 2000 in the main cabin. I'm wondering if it's worth upgrading the two 1,500's to 2,000's which doesn't require any change in wiring.

Or, swap out one of the 1,500's for a 3,700 and change the thru hull from 1 1/8" to 1.5". That calls for 14 gauge wiring, I'm not sure if the factory wiring would need to be upgraded to do this.

The other option could be just add an add'l pump in between the two existing pumps and use the wetbar sink drain as my discharge. I'm not crazy about having only one pump in the main cabin so that's another thought. I did cut in a 4" deck plate so that if something catastrophic happened in the cabin area, I could pop it out and let water flow back into the engine room. Otherwise it would have to get up over the steps and by then it would be too late.

I added the Groco valves so that the engines can discharge as well, another reason I added the deck plate connecting the forward half of the boat with the engine room if needed.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin