Water sand blasting bottom of boat

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Water sand blasting bottom of boat

Post by larryeddington »

Has anyone tried water sandblasting the bottom of a boat. It was recommended to me as not as abrasive (softer) on gel coat etc. I purchased one but have not used it as yet.

Any experiences? :D
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

I would never sand blast the bottom , soda blasting is the way to go.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Re: Water sand blasting bottom of boat

Post by alexander38 »

larryeddington wrote:Has anyone tried water sandblasting the bottom of a boat. It was recommended to me as not as abrasive (softer) on gel coat etc. I purchased one but have not used it as yet.

Any experiences? :D
the yard / marina I'm in has switched over from air/soda and or sand to water. They've used on a couple of OA's and the boats came out great with very little after sanding needed before epoxy went on....but like any blasting it's in the touch and skill of the person doing the job. IMO
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
Islanddr08

Hello

Post by Islanddr08 »

Hello.

I may not be the best expert to advise, but I just finished the bottom of my boat. I would've like to sand blast it because it would've given me a clearer picture of the condition but could not at this time.

For the little pourous holes, I sanded them down using a heavy 50 grit paper. Sounds harsh but there was so much paint that it took alot just to get to the gel coat. I took all the little holes down, which at the end the boat looks like it has chicken pox. I'm lucky to be in Florida and the weather has been warm, so if there was any moisture in two to three days it was gone. I didn't find much though.

I then came behind with little bits of strongly mixed resin and painted in all the spots. Gave that a day to dry nice and sanded them smooth and came behind it with a high grade underwater filler. Filled or covered all the spots and sanded smooth as could be. Then painted all with gelcoat to seal. I put two coats of primer paint and then two coats of bottom paint.

I don't feel it was the best job, but I'm sure the boat is sealed and all the micro pores are filled and won't turn into blisters for atleast a few years. But the plan given to you sounds right.

I'll be honest, If I had $7000 and found someone willing to do this Nasty, Nasty Job, I would do it and be greatful. You are very fortunate. The only thing is deciding if your boat is worth it as for value and resale. We all loose, and I commend you for bitting the bullet, because the boat I bought no one took such care and it definitely is worth it in the end for the life of your boat and sanity. Again It is a nasty job and you should be greatful someone else will do it, because it will definitely take years off of you to do it yourself. It took me about two weeks of filth and poison.

Also while doing this you should redo all the seacocks, running gear, trim tabs and wood under the running gear in the boat. This will make future life much better.

Good luck and all the best.

Robert
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Blasting can remove some gel coat and then you forcing water in to those areas ( that were dry )? I would think twice . But time will tell . Of course some pro's say it can take a year to dry a hull right so it may not be a big deal , But that could be why many blister repairs come back in a few years too .

I post this on a thread here but I think it goes well here

http://www.zahnisers.com/blisters_hydrolysis.htm

http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... 8&start=15
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
larryeddington
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by larryeddington »

One good thing it has been high a dry for 3 years now. By the looks of it it has been sanded and may just need a touchup sanding and barrier coat. I will try and get a picture of it. One can see where the PO swiped smoothing material over rough spots. Reminds me of the use of glazing putty use on auto bodies prior to final sanding.
Larry Eddington
1984 F-36 Tri Cabin "The Phoenix II"
1978 F-28 "The Phoenix"
Fish Master 2350 Bay Boat
9.5' Dink