Engine Synchronizer

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BMILLER
Sporadic User

Engine Synchronizer

Post by BMILLER »

I have erratic tachometer readings (at best). Would it make sense to install engine sync gauges and not totally replace all the tachs. Seems as though the port tach at both stations is hanging, etc. Flybridge one starts to work after running a while and lower stabilizes when I turn on the instrument panel lights. I can't find any loose or corroded wires or connections.............yet. I thought maneuvering would be MUCH better knowing which engine is faster/slower. Now its a nightmare. I can't tell by the sound of the engines?
Tachs are Apelco..........OEM I presume.
Just wondering if this would be a easy way to "make do"..?

'78 F28, 318's
1978 F-28
BMILLER
Sporadic User

Post by BMILLER »

Duh......................Teleflex tachs.................... :oops:

Apelco is the depth gauges.......................

My bad.
1978 F-28
ready123
Ultimate User

We don't need no stinkin' tachs

Post by ready123 »

Just listen to the sound of the props. When in sync it will be deeper and more rhythmic.... of course if one's ear is not capable as you suggest then my idea is #+*.

Your concern about better maneuvering suggests to me that you would gain more by reducing the time each engine is in gear rather than having the engine rpm the same.
I notice that most people's difficulties are due to adding too much prop power rather than using longer moments of way in neutral... if that makes sense.
Too often we think as if we are in a car which generally only moves while the gear is engaged... the same is not true for the greater mass of a boat, it keeps on moving long after neutral has been selected.
Save your money for beer and spend more time honing your skills on the shifters :!: :wink:
Last edited by ready123 on Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Replace the tachs after all they going or are bad and need repair/replacement . then add a sync gauge if you like . When maneuvering I never look at the tachs . both engines should be idling the same anyway . if you need a little more thrust give a little juice and let off .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
mitch
Sporadic User

Post by mitch »

"I notice that most people's difficulties are due to adding too much prop power rather than using longer moments of weigh in neutral..."

Good point, well said
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

for a novice maybe . for someone with experience no.

I really don't see people having issues with the use of throttle , maybe once in awhile.
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

I have gassers and don't use a sync. Just my ears to the engines.
We're all novices in some form or another...aren't we? :lol: :lol:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Check the wiring behind the helms both positives and negatives. Check the engine harnesses and their main plugs at engine, and helms for corroded pins. Check connections at distributor and coil. Poor points in a distributor can also cause erratic tachs. The tachs should have rotary or dip switches on the back that are to be set to the number of engine cylinders. These tend to corrode internally over time. Take note of their position, then rotate or rock the switch back and forth several times, return to proper position and test again. You may have to depress the rotary switch slightly for it to turn. Adding a sync without correcting this problem may give you an inaccurate sync reading.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
jordan
Sporadic User

Post by jordan »

I like my sync, one big advantage I think, is not so much stress on the engines. I believe if the engines aren't synced the one that is turning a higher rpm is under more stress and potentially shorter engine life.
Just my two cents!
SHEGAVEIN (F-32)
Capt. Jim Jordan
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Three good points mitch. This is most important at higher RPM. As Paul mentioned earlier, while maneuvering it really shouldn't matter assuming we're talking in close quarters as throttle should be way down anyway, and any throttle adjustments made are just slight enough to overcome conditions and orient the vessel. The sync shouldn't play a role then as each engine's RPM is based on your short term needs at the time. The last thing I'd be looking at in close quartered maneuvering is a sync but to each his own.
mitch
Sporadic User

Post by mitch »

jordan wrote:I like my sync, one big advantage I think, is not so much stress on the engines. I believe if the engines aren't synced the one that is turning a higher rpm is under more stress and potentially shorter engine life.
Just my two cents!
Captain Jordan,
Thinking your theory thru, being analytical, one would have to assume 2 engines in sync would extend service life. No, generally speaking engines/motors, life are shorted by increase of duty cycle, heat/time. engineering 101. Mitch
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Stripermann2 wrote:I have gassers and don't use a sync. Just my ears to the engines.
Novice statement was to using the throttles when docking not using a synchronizer , I don't use one . but will use throttles when docking if needed
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
mitch
Sporadic User

Post by mitch »

prowlersfish wrote:
Stripermann2 wrote:I have gassers and don't use a sync. Just my ears to the engines.
Novice statement was to using the throttles when docking not using a synchronizer , I don't use one . but will use throttles when docking if needed
"will use throttles when docking"

NO, like landing a plane, power off during final, runway made or dock,
other wise, operator error ! Mitch
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Under favourable conditions throttle isn't needed but conditions dictate that, ie; wind, current etc. If you don't use throttle in heavy current or wind conditions, you'll get in trouble real quick when trying to dock.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Docking a boat and landing a plane 2 different thngs by a mile . That what the huh was about .
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels