Manifolds, Risers & Elbows

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

abkeywest

Manifolds, Risers & Elbows

Post by abkeywest »

Next month I will be changing the manifolds, risers and elbows on my 1985 454's. They are showing some rust at the joints. I have the Crusader manual and it looks pretty straight forward. Outside of using PB Blaster on the manifold bolts is there any thing else I should look for? Also is one brand of castings better than another, ie: OSCO, BARR or SIERRA.

Thanks
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Heard SIERRA is made in china , Barr is good , Ossco was cheap But now look better made . I put a 2 sets on a small block last month and the look just like the Barrs well made IMO much better then years past .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

Osco is good. Do not waste your time with GLM... they are Chinese junk.
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

+1 on the Osco
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
davescarrs
Sporadic User

Post by davescarrs »

those risers were more difficult to pull (pound) off than I expected. Swift whacks with a small sledge did the job. If FWC, drain first. I have posts on the site regarding the work done including gasket dressing etc. partsman.com has diagrams. i bought crusader and osco parts.
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

Osco :wink: and double check you manifold to riser gaskets to make sure you got the right ones, ( :roll: ) cost me extra time....and don't forget the rubber bellows.
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
abkeywest

Post by abkeywest »

Everyone, thanks for all the help. davescarrs, you mention to drain first if it is FWC. Do I have to drain if they are RWC? alexander38, you mention the rubber bellows, do you mean the hose between the upper elbow and the lower swivel elbow?
Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

I have used Crusader and OSCO with good luck, you can log onto OSCO's website and find a exploded veiw of your manifold set up including gaskets, studs, hardware. I would not recommend ordering from ther website because if they don't have it in stock they will not send it or back order it for you, you can call them direct and have them shipped. When I replaced my risers and elbows for the first time I had to beat them off with a hammer I installed new studs, gaskets, risers all at that time.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
davescarrs
Sporadic User

Post by davescarrs »

I would think you would have to drain the manifolds. I would buy the hose extension pieces between the two elbows for sure. They are cheap and easier to work with than the old ones you will have torn off. plenty of PB blaster between hose and elbow and then elbow and exhaust hose running out of the boat to get that stuff off.
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

my old boat had a mix of OSCO and BARR, manifolds were BARR and everything else was OSCO, lasted 3 years before they had to be replaced.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Thats not long , The the newer Oscos are better made , But even the old ones lasted longer the 3 years , Did the boat sit a lot ?
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

abkeywest wrote:Everyone, thanks for all the help. davescarrs, you mention to drain first if it is FWC. Do I have to drain if they are RWC? alexander38, you mention the rubber bellows, do you mean the hose between the upper elbow and the lower swivel elbow?
on my Merc set up there's and rubber sleeve with 4 hose clamps that connects the riser the exhaust reducer cone (4x3) on you Blues I'm not real sure but if I remember my dock mates his 350's had a set up about like it..They can look real good on the outside but split when you least except them to....say a 100 degree day in July and running 17 knots and only just 20 miles to on a 120 mile run.....and idling back at 6 knots with rescue tape holding it together sucked.....
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

alexander38 wrote:
abkeywest wrote:Everyone, thanks for all the help. davescarrs, you mention to drain first if it is FWC. Do I have to drain if they are RWC? alexander38, you mention the rubber bellows, do you mean the hose between the upper elbow and the lower swivel elbow?
on my Merc set up there's and rubber sleeve with 4 hose clamps that connects the riser the exhaust reducer cone (4x3) on you Blues I'm not real sure but if I remember my dock mates his 350's had a set up about like it..They can look real good on the outside but split when you least except them to....say a 100 degree day in July and running 17 knots and only just 20 miles to on a 120 mile run.....and idling back at 6 knots with rescue tape holding it together sucked.....
And we know about 100 degree days in July. Tony, how hot do you thing it was in Kinsale? I know the pool was even hot! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

pool = bathtub.... :lol: :lol:
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

obeejr
Sporadic User

Post by obeejr »

I have always used Crusader risers and elbows. They are only about $10 a piece more than aftermarkets, and they are already painted blue.

My boat is in salt water, so I last replaced them after 7 years. They still looked new.