Just sent my slip payment in.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

Damn - I am getting screwed.

$2700 for summer (docking (40x16 slip), 30A power, water, propane BBQs and area with tables free to use, 'security' (they call it), washrooms/showers etc, but no wifi).

The marina has 4 options for winter storage - regular, covered, indoor, and heated. Winter storage includes haul, storage, and launch. I opt for indoor (2x regular, but then don't need to shrinkwrap and the boat is out of the weather) and have them winterize both engines, genny, and A/C and it costs me more than my summer docking...

So looks like I am paying twice or even 3x what you guys are. That sucks. Oh well, the wife wants to move - maybe that's getting closer. I have been at the same place for 35 years, 25 min drive from home, but maybe its time to move on.
zdek

Post by zdek »

You guys are getting great deals!

Any decent marina on Grand Lake is getting around $10/ft per month. That can get real steep when we're talking a 45' - 50' slip for an f44... or a 10m with a nice little deck built in. And that's just the slip. You pay extra for utilities and any/all haul-outs. Ramp / marina use is included for small boats / etc.

As a marine underwriter, I know that most of the midwest marinas have recently been hit with snow/ice or wind/hail and are really hurting though, so they have to make it up somewhere!
1984 9M International
1995 Formula 419 SR1
Glastron Carlsons
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

not to bad, i pay $7.75 per foot for any size boat, and you can get a 30 amp or a 50 amp which ever you require... electricity is metered however im a live aboard and never paid more then 20 bux per month.... no club fees, free wifi and a gree lift and power wash 2x a year, however my f36 is the biggest boat there and they cant lift it (the lift is to small) so i take it down to the next marina and they worked it out that i can get it hauled for $100 with the wash 2x a year.... so not to bad
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Your a live aboard and your electric is never over 20 bucks a month ? Mines never under and I do not live a board . Your also having over loading on your breakers ? what ever you do don't let them change your meter because its broke :D
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
Vitaliy
Moderate User

Post by Vitaliy »

well ive moved my slip 3 times already and never really went over... i get 100kw free on the marina before they start charging, maybe thats whats keeping it so low, also they only charge like $0.07 per KW....
foofer b
Ultimate User

Post by foofer b »

$1155.00 a year under roof on the trailer with electric and water.

MY CURRENT FLEET
2003 KEY WEST 2020 WA
1978 14' ASHCRAFT SKIFF
rooferdave
Moderate User

Post by rooferdave »

ready123 wrote:
Torcan wrote:We are a self help club, each member is required to donate 20 hours to the maintenance and upkeep of the club. Many members make up their time during haul-out and launch, or they can be charged $50/hr. for not fulfilling that part of the agreement.
Equivalent to another $1,000 for those who don't want to spend the time..... So true costs are not much different to my Trojan costs ($3,850 vs $3,500).... I prefer to be on Georgian Bay even though I don't get to be on the boat on weekday evenings just yet :wink:
correct me if I'm wrong but if we add in your electricity your fees are a smidge over $4,000 and if you take torcans free food/ booze coupons into play we are at $2250.00 or 3250.00 if you do not do your hours, but last year not one of our 200 plus members did not do their hours, even something as simple as filling propane tanks for your dock pays 1 hr per fill (club pays for the propane) dock masters get 10 hrs automatic its quite the good deal. Plus it is a gated community with swipe card access which makes me feel more relaxed with the kids. The other upsite with our club is the scarborough bluffs are a huge draw in the summer and the parking lots fill quickly (it is pay parking) being a club member we have passes that allow us access even when the city shut the incoming roads due to no more parking. Thats when anyone else who wish to go to the beach must walk the 2 miles downhill to the water and back
1976 Trojan 360 Flybridge needin a whole lotta luvin!
BarryL
Sporadic User

Post by BarryL »

I pay $600 per summer for my 14x40 foot slip in the private yacht club right down the street from my home. I bought 1/12th of the yacht club 12 years ago for 15k and the annual dues take care of maintenance, taxes, and utilities. Can't beat the price or the convenience. It's literally 8 houses away from my home. I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time.
I love my boat! It takes all of my money and doesn't bitch.
ready123
Ultimate User

Post by ready123 »

rooferdave wrote:
ready123 wrote:
Torcan wrote:We are a self help club, each member is required to donate 20 hours to the maintenance and upkeep of the club. Many members make up their time during haul-out and launch, or they can be charged $50/hr. for not fulfilling that part of the agreement.
Equivalent to another $1,000 for those who don't want to spend the time..... So true costs are not much different to my Trojan costs ($3,850 vs $3,500).... I prefer to be on Georgian Bay even though I don't get to be on the boat on weekday evenings just yet :wink:
correct me if I'm wrong but if we add in your electricity your fees are a smidge over $4,000 and if you take torcans free food/ booze coupons into play we are at $2250.00 or 3250.00 if you do not do your hours, but last year not one of our 200 plus members did not do their hours, even something as simple as filling propane tanks for your dock pays 1 hr per fill (club pays for the propane) dock masters get 10 hrs automatic its quite the good deal. Plus it is a gated community with swipe card access which makes me feel more relaxed with the kids. The other upsite with our club is the scarborough bluffs are a huge draw in the summer and the parking lots fill quickly (it is pay parking) being a club member we have passes that allow us access even when the city shut the incoming roads due to no more parking. Thats when anyone else who wish to go to the beach must walk the 2 miles downhill to the water and back
OK you win... though it's not quite a fair comparison as what else is there to do on Lake Ontario than stay in the marina often :wink:

I spend my weekends in places like this 45°23.041 N 080°19.923 W (paste into Google maps) so am unlikely to be in the marina for 20 hrs a season:
Last edited by ready123 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
Rum is the reason Pirate's have never ruled the world
Done Dreamin'
1987 President 43' Twin Lehman 225SP Turbo
Highfield 310 Ally 15 HP Yamaha 2cycle
1978 F32 Sedan twin 318 Chry SOLD
Safe Cove Marina, Port Charlotte, FL
BlueBelle

Post by BlueBelle »

I'm paying a lot more than most of you. I pay $390/month for a 42 x 16 fixed slot, with water cable and wi-fi provided. 50 amp service is metered.

Several boat owners in the New Smyrna City Marina are grumbling on the rates, but I've shopped around and can't really do much better unless I'm willing to drive a lot further...which I'm not. Being very close to an ocean inlet (Ponce Inlet) carries a premium, but the fish are closer!
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
rbcool
Active User

Post by rbcool »

I pay $2k a year (in water all year) for floating pier, but 2011 was the first year for metered elec. My July-August elec bills were around $190 each month running both A/C units 24/7.
This is not a working marina, so for haul out you have to go to the (local) yard (we call him the Rapist) or go up bay 15 miles.
Ammenities : fully gated with 2 security gaurds, nice pool, 6 bath/shower/laundry houses, several free pavilions with picnic tables and grills. one will hold 200 people with a bath house right next to it, free Wi-Fi, decent non-eth fuel prices $3.59 with discount, 2 very nice fish cleaning stations, boat launch ramps (5 lanes), I've pulled 7" blue crabs from the trap unnder my boat

Ron 8)
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat.
Ronald Reagan
1987 F36 Tri-Cabin
Twin 270 Crusaders
"Special K"
Upper Bay, Chesapeake Bay

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/rbcool/
Paul - SW Ontario
Moderate User

Post by Paul - SW Ontario »

$2200 from May 1 to Oct. 31

40' x 17'....30 amp shore power & water, showers

Pull up to slip parking with deck & gazebo etc.

Long Point Bay, L Erie.....45 mins from home.

1973 Trojan F25.5 - SW, ON.
2012 Triple Axle trailer
1978 C&C Mega 30' Sailboat
2014 Triple Axle trailer
2016 Highfield CL290 BL RIB
2017 20hp Suzuki 4 stroke
Muskokan345

Post by Muskokan345 »

I pay $1745.00 which includes a $150 premium for golf cart (hey, it's a long walk from vehicle to boat!) includes electricity, showers. I pay another $1000 to an of-site marina to haul, winterize block and shrink wrap, and de winterize and splash in the Spring. But, I also don't spend much time at the marina. Being at the Mouth of Sparrow Lake on the Trent-Severn, a group of us usually head out to a small bay, or Georgian bay. I've spent a lot of years on Lake Ontario, not a lot of nice, small, secluded anchorages. Oh, and the marina is 12 minutes from home, so I pretty much live aboard all summer!
1986 F26
Muskokan345

Post by Muskokan345 »

Don't wanna hijack the thread, but, Paul, I have looked at your uploaded pics, but cant really get a good look at the transom cutout. A couple questions, did you put a door back in, or is that canvas? If so, arent you worried about following seas? Also, do you have any more pics, I'd love to do that on my '86.
1986 F26
Paul - SW Ontario
Moderate User

Post by Paul - SW Ontario »

Muskokan345 wrote:Don't wanna hijack the thread, but, Paul, I have looked at your uploaded pics, but cant really get a good look at the transom cutout. A couple questions, did you put a door back in, or is that canvas? If so, arent you worried about following seas? Also, do you have any more pics, I'd love to do that on my '86.
Hey Muskokan...I started another thread for you.

Paul
1973 Trojan F25.5 - SW, ON.
2012 Triple Axle trailer
1978 C&C Mega 30' Sailboat
2014 Triple Axle trailer
2016 Highfield CL290 BL RIB
2017 20hp Suzuki 4 stroke