Jefflaw35

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Mike Kulp
Moderate User

Post by Mike Kulp »

Practice, Practice, Practice is the only answer, I must admit I when I launch my boat in the spring my heart does beat a little faster and if they put me in stern first it is a lot faster as the wind is always blowing and it is close quarters, take your time, do not go crazy with the throttle and if it looks like you can not make your slip just pull out, take a breath and try again.
Mike 1986 10 Meter mid cabin
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Jeff, you should also pick up a copy of Chapmans book of seamanship.
I am a yacht captain but I also own a boat handling school that I am
Trying to get up and running, Boathandlingschool.com, and I am
Going to send you a copy of our training manual when I get back
In town at the end of the Month.
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

Hey Jeff, I really think, once you get a little comfortable with your F-25...you will handle her BETTER than a smaller I/O. If I'm not mistaking, your boat will reverse to the starboard. That means she will back to the your right. Once you line up to back into your slip, you just keep your wheel turned to the right and don't touch it...gentle reverse's and forwards with the clutch will get you in the slip like a pro...just remember to say outloud "1000" between forward and reverse...while in nuetral. And also...never panic. Your throttle should never be needed. Don't ask me how I know this. I needed a new swim platform from confusing throttle with cluthc one time. Slow and steady is the way to go. If your boat happens to back to the port (left) just keep the wheel turned to the left.
Good Luck, Mike
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

summer storm wrote:Jeff, you should also pick up a copy of Chapmans book of seamanship.
I am a yacht captain but I also own a boat handling school that I am
Trying to get up and running, Boathandlingschool.com, and I am
Going to send you a copy of our training manual when I get back
In town at the end of the Month.
thanks doug!!
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

thanks guys
aaronbocknek
Ultimate User
Location: baltimore, md (alexandria, va and middle river,md) PARKSIDE MARINA

Post by aaronbocknek »

Mike Kulp wrote:Practice, Practice, Practice is the only answer, I must admit I when I launch my boat in the spring my heart does beat a little faster and if they put me in stern first it is a lot faster as the wind is always blowing and it is close quarters, take your time, do not go crazy with the throttle and if it looks like you can not make your slip just pull out, take a breath and try again.
:shock: :shock: :) :)
guess who!!
1982 F-36 TRI CABIN ENTERPRISE
PARKSIDE MARINA IN MIDDLE RIVER, MD
aaronbocknek@gmail.com
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

MadBen wrote:Hey Jeff, I really think, once you get a little comfortable with your F-25...you will handle her BETTER than a smaller I/O. If I'm not mistaking, your boat will reverse to the starboard. That means she will back to the your right. Once you line up to back into your slip, you just keep your wheel turned to the right and don't touch it...gentle reverse's and forwards with the clutch will get you in the slip like a pro...just remember to say outloud "1000" between forward and reverse...while in nuetral. And also...never panic. Your throttle should never be needed. Don't ask me how I know this. I needed a new swim platform from confusing throttle with cluthc one time. Slow and steady is the way to go. If your boat happens to back to the port (left) just keep the wheel turned to the left.
Good Luck, Mike
Good advice,
my F25 pulls to Port(left) but I just touch the reverse and patience, let it just basically float over
this year was trying to say the least, never owned a boat before, still scares me to go very far, but each time out I get a little braver and go a little further out.

Also, each time I am docking, it gets a little easier. Still scares the hell out of me, but is getting better. I am more terrified of hitting someone elses boat than I am of hitting the dock .

Can't begin to tell you how many times I aborted, went to a larger area to turn around, come back and try again. At one point I was so confused I contemplated jumping into the water and towing her to the slip by swimming.!! Eventually I got better and now only bang it 5 or 6 times (joke) docking. :)
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
alexander38
Ultimate User

Post by alexander38 »

hey Jeff look next to your trash can.... :wink:
Carver 3607 ACMY 454's Merc's
10' Dinghy 6hp Merc.
La Dolce Vita
Let's hit the water !

http://s852.beta.photobucket.com/user/t ... 8/library/
lawyerdave71
Moderate User

Post by lawyerdave71 »

WHAT???

I missed Facebook Drama on the Trojan Forum??? Bummer. . .

I was too busy putting 30 coats of Watco teak oil on my flybridge teak cabinet trim. Looks bleeping awesome.

We got snow squals and 10 footers on Lake Michigan this evening.
Captain Dave -

1978 F30 Flybridge Express
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

alexander38 wrote:hey Jeff look next to your trash can.... :wink:
You rock man! I don't know your number or your first name, I'm assuming Alex???? Lol
Stripermann2
Ultimate User

Post by Stripermann2 »

jefflaw35 wrote:
You rock man! I don't know your number or your first name, I'm assuming Alex???? Lol
Yep, he's our own Alex. Alex Trebek... But don't let it get out. :wink:
Jamie

1985 F-32 270 Crusaders
1988 Sea Ray 23 350 Merc.
Trojan. Enjoy the ride...

-I don't wanna hear anyone whine...Anymore!
-You might get there before me, but you still have to wait for me, for the fun to start!
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Stripermann2 wrote:
jefflaw35 wrote:
Yep, he's our own Alex. Alex Trebek... But don't let it get out. :wink:
dork! LOL
Paul
Active User

Post by Paul »

Changed the rudder on my F-26 to a larger one. It does increase handling stability and control on this boat but the real advantage is when backing up in a marina. It takes water flow across the rudder in order for it to have any effect, that being said once the boat is moving in reverse the added area of the larger rudder does give better control.

Once you start using your boat, you"ll find that when you put it in reverse the stern instantly pull to the left. This is actually not a problem and can actually be used to your advantage. We'll discuss this further when your ready for the water.

Below is a picture of my rudder.

Hope this helps.
Paul
"Cruise Control" 1978 F-26HT
"No Control" 2012 9' Grand RIB
jefflaw35

Post by jefflaw35 »

Thanks, that is much bigger
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Paul wrote:Changed the rudder on my F-26 to a larger one. It does increase handling stability and control on this boat but the real advantage is when backing up in a marina. It takes water flow across the rudder in order for it to have any effect, that being said once the boat is moving in reverse the added area of the larger rudder does give better control.

Once you start using your boat, you"ll find that when you put it in reverse the stern instantly pull to the left. This is actually not a problem and can actually be used to your advantage. We'll discuss this further when your ready for the water.

Below is a picture of my rudder.

Hope this helps.
Paul
what size and where did you pick that rudder up?
I would very much like more details concerning it.

Thanks
james
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/