1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

BlueBelle

Re: 1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

Post by BlueBelle »

Looks great. Glad my refit brought you some ideas. I don't quite understand why you need the fabric to hide the wall/headliner joint. The joint should be very small. Maybe I don't understand what you are trying to do. At any rate, looks good.
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

more decorative than anything. I think im going to try to make a removable headliner panels so I should be able to be sure the joints are really tight.
Thanks
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Ok, I did 5 coats of interpertect barrier coat and finally got the first coat of bottom paint on! I went with blue for the first coat so I could use it as a "warning" as the Black paint starts to wear off so I know when to reapply. I didn't think I would like the blue with the Ice Blue hull but it actually looks pretty good. May still go with the original plan and use black with a blue boot stripe? I'm undecided at this point.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Went with black. Naturally it did not cover 1/2 as well as the first coat of blue did so I had to pick up another gallon of paint ($250!!!) and apply a third coat. There is something wrong with applying $750 in bottom paint on a 33 ft boat!! after the last coat is applied I will have rolled the entire bottom of my boat 8 times over 4 days! I'm still working on the vinyl. I wasn't planning on recovering the seat bases since they were in good shape and hidden by cushions but after seeing how good the new vinyl looks I went and ordered another 20 yds of foam backed vinyl and will be replacing everything. Pulling the old stuff off is a royal PITA!
By the way if anyone was wondering you can get one full coat out of 1 gallon of interprotect 2000 on a 10 meter if you don't drip a single drop, it was that close. you can easily get a full coat out of one gallon of micron extra with about one inch left in the can.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Todd,

Everything is looking really good.

I really want to gain some knowledge and insight on your interior restoration, and will be watching this quite closely for tips and hints.

For the moment, I see that the portlights have been removed.

It is my opinion that the factory installed product was less than ideal.

What is your plan regarding these?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks Harris .
im not sure about the port lights. i was thinking about asking Bluebelle what he replaced his with. i never has an issue with them leaking before but they have seen better days. if i do replace them i want to be sure they cover up the old ones footprint as i really don't want to try to do any touch up with the paint.
i just talked with a lumber yard in annapollis md this morning who has double sided marine grade plywood in stock, ill keep the pics comming !
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
BlueBelle

Post by BlueBelle »

Finding replacements for the Trojan port lights is next to impossible. My replacements were smaller than originals and I had to do some fiberglass work at each opening to seal the exposed coring and make the holes a bit smaller. The exterior trim rings covered the existing openings, so I did not need to do any painting.
1986 Trojan 11M w/ twin JT671TI
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Bluebelle what brand/size porthole did you go with? I can deal with interior fiberglass work but didn't want to mess with the outside.
Got the aft-cabin window valance covered today with the help of my little buddy! Turned out really good (although I am alittle biased!)
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Guys,

The Int'l portlights were made by GG Schmitt who is still in business. You can buy the "inner" which is the portlight/, screen, gasket and frame. They also sell the outer part which is what you see on the hull.

I have the part #'s for the inner frame if that helps.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

they are in Lancaster pa which is about 45min from me. I don't have a problem with them but I'm not real hot about caulk being the only seal between the outer and inner pieces. I had a lot of ugly caulk showing on the outside (from the PO). I'm sure I can do a better job but I was just wondering if there was a better choice/design out there? Any Idea of the cost of the inner assembly? my plexiglass is alittle scratched. I thought about making new "glass from 1/2 lexan (im already doing it for the skylites) but if it wasn't too much for the assembly it would make life easier.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Todd,

The inners were about $140 if I recall. I like the latching method against the "glass", it's a lot easier than the threaded locks. The new ones are pretty good, not perfect in real heavy seas. A shot of clear synthetic grease on the gasket helps a lot. They don't leak under normal conditions or rain. I ran a thin clear bead around the outside of the frame so that's watertight. They would be better if you installed them upside down so the latches were on the top and the glass hinged down. I thought of that after I installed mine :)

They are pretty much underwater sometimes so I guess you have to expect a few drips. I have two of the original ones if anyone needs them cheap. The cam locks work on the two I saved.

Bob
1988 10m mid cabin
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

so the new style have a different latch?
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
BobCT
Active User

Post by BobCT »

Yes, looks like the same style as '90+ Internationals. Three plastic arms that pivot and press the glass against the gasket. Big plus in the head, that one is harder to reach.
1988 10m mid cabin
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks Bob!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I think Trojan should have added a few more things on the 10 meter that need to be wrapped/covered with fabric or vinyl!!!! Good Lord I feel like I have been wrapping wood with vinyl for months!!! Here's a picture of a few pieces I brought home and wrapped this week!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea