1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

RWS
Ultimate User

Re: 1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

Post by RWS »

cedar wood lining in the closets..

bad idea?

Here's an example from the 2013 Miami International Boat Show.

Seemed like a nice touch.....

RWS
Attachments
Cedar Closet
Cedar Closet
CedarCloset.JPG (36.83 KiB) Viewed 6416 times
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks! Not yet. They won't accept a survey until the engines go back in. Hopefully that will be soon! Although ill have to wait until I recover from the machine shop bill!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I like the cedar. Would have been fairly easy to do since the walls are flat. Just so happened to have the carpet laying around. Besides whenever I'm on the boat all my clothes smell like fish, fuel and beer! Not sure cedar would help!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Rebuilt both water pumps with my new press. have two of the three headliner panels installed in the the stateroom and the template for the third is ready . installed wallpaper on the stateroom side of the wall between the salon. all vinyl is done in the stateroom .
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

I think I figured out how to make my trim for the hatch. took a piece of pvc corner trim (homedepot) made an exact jig of the forward hatch opening out of a piece of plywood and screwed it to the table. took the trim and heated a section in front of the torpedo heater them bent it around the jig. did one corner at a time. naturally The piece of trim that I had laying around was too short but you can get the general Idea. I can get a 12 ft length for $7 so its not a problem!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

she is coming together nicely.

If you are keeping those "eyeball" lights in the cabin. replacing the bulbs with LED's is a really nice upgrade.

Do you have a splash date set?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

thanks Harris!
I decided to keep the original lights for now.It was going to start getting real expensive to upgrade all of the fixtures to led and I actually like the style and functionality of the originals. I plan on switching to led bulbs (Theres a post from bob somewhere that has the correct ones to order) If i remember correctly there are different bulb "colors" you can get (daylight, soft light etc) and I wanted to finish the interior first then get one of each so I can decide exactly which ones to get.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Aft cabin headliner is 90% done. made a single big removable piece but wanted to have easy access to the space below the helm in case future access was needed so Ill have a small piece about 34x 16. got the new gfci on the aft cabin installed as well as a new gfci in the salon. mirrored door back on in the stateroom. removed the state room door to the salon and state room door to the head. Decided to paint the old vinyl covering that faces the stateroom side. kept the head the same since its in pretty good shape. the door to the salon still had the original red velour on it. removed the velour and applied some offwhite padded vinyl to it. replaced one of the main AC circuit breakers in the panel that had a cracked mount (FYI you can still buy them at an electric supply house) removed the leaking hynautic steering cylinder and rebuilt it. Getting there slowly but surely !!!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Being attacked by "Pink Vinyl" slowed me down a bit (http://www.trojanboats.net/wforum/viewt ... f=1&t=8224)!!!!
Decided to finish up the formica. Counter in the head is done except for mahogany trim, decided to ad formica on the ledge behind the dinette, it originally had vinyl there which always got dirty since its used as a catch all for everything. had to make a template then cut a piece of 3/4 plywood and applied the formica. I was going to do the table with mahogany veneer but time is running out so I opted for formica with mahogany trim. Rather than spending alot of time laminating blocks of mahogany with epoxy and using templates and router to match the existing radius' I decided to cut off the round corners and miter the mahogany trim. Its hard to tell from the pics but I ran the trim through the table saw and took about the width of a saw blade off the edge that mounts to the table, I kept the saw blade down 1/8 inch down to create a 1/8 x1/8 lip that overlaps and caps off the edge of the formica. I want to get a coat of epoxy on the mahogany to seal it , then ill install it and varnish it when the weather warms up.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Attached the mahogany to the table today. used countersunk screws and used plugs that I cut myself. This was my first using wood plugs and I'm really happy with how it turned out. I used waterproof wood glue as well. I made sure it oozed out top and bottom. I plan on varnishing the exposed wood and am hoping the glue seal up the back. need to wait for warmer weather to varnish. I installed the "counter" behind the dinette. put the sliding door that I painted back on the head. need to pick up a faucet for the head so I can drill the holes for it and get the vanity top installed.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Couldn't find any local mahogany trim so I decided to make my own. took a 1x6 board down and played with my router table and table saw. picked up a faucet and finished off the counter in the head, sinks in a counter is caulked in.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

What's the round opening behind the head sink, Todd?
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Its for a small trash can. If you look back a bit you can see the lid that goes on it. I'm waiting to get the new handle before I cut the formica laminate. Have the same thing in the galley
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
Nancy
Moderate User

Post by Nancy »

What a good idea on the trash can. This whole project is incredible - everything looks amazing except maybe for that pink vinyl. :roll: Ugh, what a gut-wrenching disappointment and huge hassle. Hope it will be resolved and behind you soon.
297Elegante
Sporadic User

Post by 297Elegante »

Your woodwork is looking awesome! When all is said and done find a friend with a really good camera set up and get some brochure looking photos of the cabin!!
Boat: Silverton 34C T/270s, Gen