1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

yorklyn
Active User

Re: 1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.

Post by yorklyn »

Well boat reconstruction has been a bit slow due to limited time. I thought I had purchased new tran and oil cooler lines about three years ago and neglected to open the boxes until two weeks ago. the trans lines were correct but didnt have the 45 degree fitting on the tranny connection but they still fit fine. the oil hoses had the wrong size ends and didnt match my fittings. Thanks to Bob (Bobct) I got the correct make of hose and hose sizes and figured I would just reuse the re usable fittings from the old hoses. when the hoses showed up from MURDOCK INDUSTRIALS in akron ohio i began to remove the old fittings only to find that Re usable is a very "relative" term! a few were ok but the majority were very questionable. called Murdock industrial and 3 days and $200 + dollars latter I had all new fittings for the oil and trans lines ( I had to have matching lines! so if anyone needs new tranny lines w/o the 45 degree fitting let me know) .
Special thanks to Mike (unchained) for all of your assistance with figuring out the distributors and alternators. I am not the owner of a set of uiw EST Distributor kits, and new arco alternators !

my $800 small marine parts source order just arrived yesterday with new fuel pumps, oil senders, temp alarm senders and some gaskets ,fan belts and a few other things!

Took my Qjets to the mechanic to have them rebuilt. he looked at them, said he could do it but recommended to purchase new edelbrock marine carbs.

Not sure if this will ever be finished!
(The hoses are aero Quip fc332-10 and fc332-08 for the trans and oil lines in case anyone wants to know, 20 foot of each will do both engines )

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
1992 Scout 15.5 Center Console
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

when will you splash?

What kind of "event" will you plan when that happens?

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Hopefully by march.
Should be a hell of an event with the salvage crew, coast guard and fire boats!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Sounds like I need to run up the bay .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

All I can say is I'm going to do my best to get her in the water this year. At this moment 5 years ago I was driving home from celebrating Christmas at my in-laws after getting the call that my father slipped and died at my shop 30 ft from the boat we were renovating together.
It took me until February 2012 to start back on the renovation (first post of this thread).
I can't wait to see this journey through yo completion!
As I sit at my inlaws cerebrating Christmas 5 years later, I cannot imagine ever getting to this point without all of the help and support from everyone on this forum! Thank you!
As I get closer to a launch date , I can assure everyone that the event, whether good or bad, will be well documented!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

well im once again off to a bad start! Got to the shop at 12 today. started making the three cuts to the 1/4 stainless backing plates for the engine beds. got 2 cuts done no problem. on the last inch of the last cut the 4 inch grinder kicks out of my hands and slices my hand. did i mention this was 5 minutes after i started ?!? and Yes I has gloves, safety glasses and ear plugs in.
anyway, Got the first aid kit and some duct tape and got back to work. I made all the new oil and trans lines and got them installed, dropped the new distributor in, all the sending units are installed and im working on sorting out the wiring harness to work with the new distributor.
4.5 hours later on the way home i swung by the er and got 7 stitches in my hand . Unfortunately i may not get much done on the boat tomorrow.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
Allen Sr
Active User

Post by Allen Sr »

OUCH! BTW on the 2nd pic I see the harness for the charging system (I think) awful close to the exhaust manifold you may want to secure it lower on the block. Once that plastic wire loom melts then its only a short time before the harness starts melting. Lets call it personal experience on a different boat. All because I didn't want to offend my 'helper'. :roll: :roll:
Growing old is inevitable,but growing up is optional
1984 F36 w/350 Crusaders 'Reel Class'
2011 Trojan Rendevous
Solomons Get Together 2011
Ocean City 2012,2013,2015
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Thanks, im still trying to "sort out" the wiring harness. I had documented all of the routing and connections with the original harness during dis assembly. The new gm EST distributor has complicated things a bit. at this point im just trying to get a rough idea where everything goes before i begin cutting and splicing the new "generic" harness. i'd like to find some wire holders that will hold the wires but also act as a "standoff" , holding the wires off of the engine. I personally am not fond of the plastic wire loom but these were purchased this way and seem to be a perfect fit for my motors (i decided not to use the harnesses that i spent countless hours making myself after Mike told me about these).
Your not kidding about the mess those plastic looms can make when they melt! im hoping the manufacture had enough sense to use the high temp plastic that is much harder to melt. i may have to cut off a small piece and "test" it.
I will try to document the install and connections for the new distributors in case anyone else ever does a swap.
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
RWS
Ultimate User

Post by RWS »

Post by yorklyn » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:27 am

On the last inch of the last cut the 4 inch grinder kicks out of my hands and slices my hand. <snip>

Got the first aid kit and some duct tape and got back to work. I made all the new oil and trans lines and got them installed, dropped the new distributor in, all the sending units are installed and im working on sorting out the wiring harness to work with the new distributor.

4.5 hours later on the way home i swung by the er and got 7 stitches in my hand.

===================================================================================

We are of a KINDRED SPIRIT !

Love Ya, MAN !

RWS
1983 10 Meter SOLD after 21 years of adventures
Yanmar diesels
Solid Glass Hull
Woodless Stringers
Full Hull Liner
Survived Andrew Cat 5,Eye of Charley Cat 4, & Irma Cat 2
Trojan International Website: http://trojanboat.com/

WEBSITE & SITELOCK TOTALLY SELF FUNDED
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

LOL Harris!!!

I sat around most of the day today with my hand killing me. after lunchtime I couldnt take it anymore and went to the shop. I worked on the wiring until 8pm with only one hand but I finally got the harness on the starboard engine completely installed and secured properly!
i just need to mount the coil , wire up the distributor, buy carbs and new oil coolers and im in business!
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

RWS wrote:Re: 1987 10 meter mid cabin complete restoration.
Post by yorklyn » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:27 am

On the last inch of the last cut the 4 inch grinder kicks out of my hands and slices my hand. <snip>

Got the first aid kit and some duct tape and got back to work. I made all the new oil and trans lines and got them installed, dropped the new distributor in, all the sending units are installed and im working on sorting out the wiring harness to work with the new distributor.

4.5 hours later on the way home i swung by the er and got 7 stitches in my hand.

===================================================================================

We are of a KINDRED SPIRIT !

Love Ya, MAN !

RWS
:D
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!
I spent the day today trying to make good on my new years resolution from two years ago and worked on the boat all day!
Fuel pump is installed, new coil is mounted,distributor is set up and plug wires installed correctly, (I think?). Drilled all the mounting holes for the port engine beds.
Its slow but im making progress. Should have one engine in real soon.

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

and yes I am getting wire holders for those messy plug wires! LOL
Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

didnt like the "gap" between the engine beds and stringers. I marked the largest gaps, put a few layers of fiberglass in then mixed thickened structural epoxy, troweled it, clamped it tight and let it set up. no more gaps and 100% contact with the stringers!
New oil coolers arrived as did the new transmission cable mounts. didnt like all the pitting on the old ones! now I can sand blast the half ass crusader blue paint job off the new parts (they must have painted them in the dark because you can see bare metal all over the parts) prime and repaint the last remaining engine parts.

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea
yorklyn
Active User

Post by yorklyn »

Got up at 6am on saturday, first picture is a screen shot of the temperature on my way to my unheated shop. got the boat off the wood blocks and onto the dollies, rolled the boat into position. hooked the chain fall to the beam, had the engine up in the air when luckily one of my friends showed up to lend a hand. one in, one to go!

Todd Pote
1987 10 Meter Mid Cabin
Double Pote-N_Sea