Should Seller or Buyer pay for Surveys

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

Should Seller or Buyer pay for Boat Surveys

Poll ended at Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:50 am

Seller should pay
5%
Buyer should pay
86%
Both seller and Buyer should share the cost
10%

Total votes: 21

Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Torcan wrote:.... I guess I am just of the school of taking people at face value and trusting....
Wish things were still like that my friend, the world would be a better place. Having said that, there still are the honourable few whose handshake is all you need, everybody else; caution and get it in writing.
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

Big D wrote:
Torcan wrote:.... I guess I am just of the school of taking people at face value and trusting....
Wish things were still like that my friend, the world would be a better place. Having said that, there still are the honourable few whose handshake is all you need, everybody else; caution and get it in writing.
Trust and verify. I think Ronald Regan coined that phrase.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

BMILLER wrote:Sore subject here for me. I paid a very highly recommended licensed surveyor to throughly inspect and provide a detailed report for both me and the insurance company. The boat was classified by him, and in writing, as in very good and very well maintained condition....................so, not knowing about boats of this type, I took the "expert's" advise and laid down the $$$. I hadn't had it 3 hrs enroute to its new marina till all sorts of things started going wrong. And none ever showed up in the pre-buy and shakedown. Nonetheless, its almost a year now and it hasn't left the slip. I did contact the surveyor and complained about all he missed. He stated it was OK at the time.....................bull ! And, as I found out later, the PO jury rigged and later switched out several items before I could pick up the boat..............remote spotlight, hailer, radio, etc. Same appearing as the ones at survey but non functioned ones switched. And as a novice to this boat, I never rechecked as I already paid and trusted the PO............expensive lesson learned.

I recommend, if you are serious about the purchase, make the buyer pay for the survey, be right there looking over the shoulder of the "expert" and if possible, buy and take possession of the vessel on the spot and change all keys and remove it to a new location (if that's your plan) immediately.

In hindsight, I'd get a few knowledgable friends to first go look at the vessel before getting a survey. I wouldn't make the final purchase w/o the survey, but benefit from their past experience of problems.

Sorry you had issues but I don't see how you can blame it on the survery
You said you self. "And none ever showed up in the pre-buy and shakedown " how could the surveyerr know something going to break or the PO was going to swap parts after the fact ?

I don't think you will find a seller to pay for a buyers survey , you may find one that has paid for there own before as some would do here.
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
BMILLER
Sporadic User

Post by BMILLER »

Yup, I sure accept the resonsibility for not really checking those I hired to check the boat. Found out after the fact from others in the marina I'm now in the S and the Cert mech are related and the PO is in a tight social group with all........................

PT Barnum was so right.................as I look into the mirror. :)
1978 F-28
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

BMILLER wrote:Yup, I sure accept the resonsibility for not really checking those I hired to check the boat. Found out after the fact from others in the marina I'm now in the S and the Cert mech are related and the PO is in a tight social group with all........................

PT Barnum was so right.................as I look into the mirror. :)
In that case its a different story .You would have had no way to know that. . Beware when the seller or broker recommends a surveyor . I had a honest one myself . I had a Friend that went to use him on a 12 meter . He refused to do it or recommend any one . Why ? he was a Friend of the seller and felt it was a conflict .
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D