30' 1975 Trojan for $300...

This forum is for comments and the exchange of information relating to Trojan Boats and boating. Please do not post used parts or boats For Sale in this area. For general, non-boating topics please use our "General Discussions" section.

Note: Negative or inflammatory postings will not be tolerated.

Moderators: BeaconMarineBob, Moderator, BeaconMarineDon

RajivR74

30' 1975 Trojan for $300...

Post by RajivR74 »

That's right... $300 is what the owner of my local marina is selling me his old boat for!!! It has a broken springer, both 318s are shot & has been sitting on jack stands for the past 15 years! I understand that this is going to be one heck of a project, but I'm always up for a challenge :lol:

I have worked on nothing but SeaRays & currently doing some cosmetic restoration on a 36' 1980 Express Cruiser. I have no knowledge about Trojan boats other than they have lines similar to Chris Crafts.

I would greatly appreciate any input you wonderful folks here on this community have to offer, whether it be positive or negative. Enlighten me as to what I'm getting myself into, what other issues I should look into, be ready for, etc. Thank you in advance for your help!!! :D
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place. Post up some pics as well.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

Welcome
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D
k9th
Ultimate User

Post by k9th »

Welcome aboard and glad you are up for the challenge.
Tim

"SeaDog"
1979 36' Tri-Cabin
MadBen
Sporadic User

Post by MadBen »

Welcome! Congrats on the boat.
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

Welcom aboard , I think the words you were trying to say was the crift craft had similiar lines to the one and only Trojan boats. :P . You'll find just about everything you need to about your boat in here. And sure you will see more then enough Trojans owners here to explain it all to you. Ive advanced my rebuild by months from information Ive gathered outa here . good luck. ps. easy way to win them over in here is countless pics. get the camera ready !!!
RajivR74

Post by RajivR74 »

Thank you all, for your warm welcomes! It's storming here & I'm a little under the weather too. I will definitely take some pictures within the next couple of days.

Thank you too, for your words of encouragement. I work with a bunch of old school SeaRay & Chris Craft fans who don't consider Trojan to be a "well made boat". So I am embarking on this project against a lot of flack from my local support network that's spearheaded by my surrogate father/mentor. Yes, this is going to be an uphill battle ranging from replacement of the stringers to replacing the blown 318s.

I've been doing some research into stringer replacement using composite layering techniques as opposed to wood-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gY1ZJwIJAI

I have also been looking into repowering the boat using electric & hybrid techniques that have been very successful in Europe & around the world.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idZjefoOiz8

What do you think, folks? Hit me with all your knowledge & input, please!
Torcan
Moderate User

Post by Torcan »

RajivR74 wrote:SeaRay & Chris Craft fans who don't consider Trojan to be a "well made boat".
I guess that explains why Trojan boats are still running 30 and 40 years later while the rest of the "newer boats" are...well you insert whatever description you wish here.

We are all going to be very interested in following your re-build. You will also find answers probably to every aspect of the re-build here. A lot of very knowledgeable guys here.
1980 Trojan F 25 "MY TYME" (sold)
1986 Thundercraft Magnum 280 "The HAILEY-SAVANNAH"
http://www.cbyc.ca/
RajivR74

Post by RajivR74 »

Torcan wrote:
RajivR74 wrote:SeaRay & Chris Craft fans who don't consider Trojan to be a "well made boat".
I guess that explains why Trojan boats are still running 30 and 40 years later while the rest of the "newer boats" are...well you insert whatever description you wish here.

We are all going to be very interested in following your re-build. You will also find answers probably to every aspect of the re-build here. A lot of very knowledgeable guys here.
That's exactly my point, Torcan. From what I've heard, Trojans were made with very thickly laid fiberglass. Especially in the the mid 1970's like the boat in question was. One of the reasons I'm taking on this project is simply because I'm stubborn & determined to prove a point!
trojanmanXS
Moderate User

Post by trojanmanXS »

That's exactly my point, Torcan. From what I've heard, Trojans were made with very thickly laid fiberglass. Especially in the the mid 1970's like the boat in question was. One of the reasons I'm taking on this project is simply because I'm stubborn & determined to prove a point![/quote]

Thats by far the best motivator there is!!! I saw it the same way, my neighbors gave each other the look when I showed them the "boat" before I bought it. as well as the wife,kids,my boater pals. But within 6months after purchase I have totally gutted the cabin and have reproduced over 100 pieces to be installed when the weather breaks. I figured I'd wow e'm with the int. then slow down and chip away on the engine,paint as funds permit. it should be alot of fun for you. good luck and there can never be to many pics in here ...
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

Welcome aboard. You're in for tons of help, all you have to do is ask, oh and did I mention we like pictures :wink:

I'm here to tell you that every make has thier pros and cons. My first big boat was a CC. Well made but I scratched my head wondering about a few things they did. Same with Trojan. No brand is perfect. You could take all the good points from every brand and put them together into one design and still find something that needs improving. But I find it most funny that a Sea Ray owner would comment on the way another brand is built, IMO they should be the last to judge :roll: No offence SR owners....just say'n :wink:
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
summer storm
Moderate User

Post by summer storm »

Big D wrote:Welcome aboard. You're in for tons of help, all you have to do is ask, oh and did I mention we like pictures :wink:

I'm here to tell you that every make has thier pros and cons. My first big boat was a CC. Well made but I scratched my head wondering about a few things they did. Same with Trojan. No brand is perfect. You could take all the good points from every brand and put them together into one design and still find something that needs improving. But I find it most funny that a Sea Ray owner would comment on the way another brand is built, IMO they should be the last to judge :roll: No offence SR owners....just say'n :wink:
Well, all I've got to say is when is the last time you saw a mid 70's Searay running around the harbor?
Doug

1977 F-32
1982 Chris Craft 280
1992 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
1974 F-25 (Sold)
1979 F-26 (sold)
Big D
Ultimate User

Post by Big D »

If you do, I'm willing to bet she's sitting much much lower in the water than she should be :wink:
She was a 1969 36 ft wooden beauty with big blue 440s that we'll miss forever.
And thanks to the gang, 2012 Trojan Boater Of The Year
captainmaniac
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by captainmaniac »

You probably already know what you are getting in to (at least to some degree), but if the boat has been sitting on jack stands for 15 years the hull is probably completely twisted and warped out of shape, so who knows how well it will run. The broken stringer is probably a sign of this.

Two bad engines : expect the fuel system also needs to be replaced, and I would also put my money on the wiring needing a lot of examination and tlc as well.

This ain't gonna be cheap, but if you just gotta do it, go for it. Just make sure it is safe before you leave the dock and entrust anyone's life to it.
prowlersfish
2024 Gold Support
2024 Gold Support

Post by prowlersfish »

captainmaniac
Brings up some good points . and I may add the hull must be true before replacing the stringer(s)
Boating is good for the soul
77/78 TROJAN F36 Conv.
6BTA Cummins diesels
Life is to short for a ugly boat :D